Daily Attire and Queen Mary: Is it for me?

jordans mom

Sometimes it's not so much choosing Cunard, it's about finding a ship that's going where you want to go on the days you want to go there. I will be sailing on QV next year and it will be my first time on Cunard. I didn't specifically choose Cunard, but needed to line up a specific itinerary at the conclusion of a land tour, and this was the only one that ticked those boxes for the date I required. I have no issue with "dressing up" but I will probably be at the lower end of what is acceptable - no tiaras for me! I must say, the more I read this thread, the more I am thinking it is not going to be very enjoyable if the majority of the other passengers are as judgemental as some posters on here!

Regards

Jan

I wouldn’t be concerned Jan, I chose my cruise for exactly the same reasons as you, I had no idea about the dress code but I have to admit that I’m rather looking forward to it. In any community there will be all kinds of people, I’m sure you will find some friendly faces and kindred souls, as I hope I do also! :D

I wouldn’t be concerned Jan, I chose my cruise for exactly the same reasons as you, I had no idea about the dress code but I have to admit that I’m rather looking forward to it. In any community there will be all kinds of people, I’m sure you will find some friendly faces and kindred souls, as I hope I do also! :D

I understand this. I wanted to do a Crossing and I've wanted to try Cunard. Now, I'm looking forward to the experience. I believe I will find kindred souls on board and be able to limited and control my packing, while meeting, exceeding, or working around the dressing. I'll fly international to board in Southampton, so I will be limited in luggage -- but I'll also have sometime in Europe pre-cruise, should I need to add to my wardrobe.

What fun we'll have on our upcoming cruises!!!

I understand this. I wanted to do a Crossing and I've wanted to try Cunard. Now, I'm looking forward to the experience. I believe I will find kindred souls on board and be able to limited and control my packing, while meeting, exceeding, or working around the dressing. I'll fly international to board in Southampton, so I will be limited in luggage -- but I'll also have sometime in Europe pre-cruise, should I need to add to my wardrobe.

What fun we'll have on our upcoming cruises!!!

:D I know! So exciting. I hope you have a fabulous time.

Amen to that.

Actually on my 25 August QE cruise, I noted many gentlemen went the dress "code" (and gentlemen and ladies really shouldn't have to be told or suggested how to dress in the first place) one better on "informal" nights by wearing a jacket AND tie. The way "informal" used to be determined.

I think (hope) Cunard has gotten the message: leave it alone. Some of us actually like traditional, classic ocean travel. Holland America Line has been steadily ruined in this regard for the last decade leaving Cunard as about the last bastion of it. Not everyone is a millennial in flip-flops and "sweats" in a fetal position with his or her phone. And yes, if cruise ships can have bumper cars and "zip lines", proper Cunarders can have a full, walk around promenade deck, with steamer chairs, too.

My observations on Cunard have been the same: many men - a large minority - will wear an "optional" tie on informal nights. Right up to my last crossing on the QE2 (April 2008) the dress code for men in all dining rooms required a jacket and tie every night. As for tuxedos, my experience in the Grills and the Britannia Club has been that a very high percentage of men wear tuxedos and less so in Britannia. But on my recent two one-week voyages in Britannia it appeared that 90% of men were in real formal wear.

Two years ago we took a Holland America cruise and I was rather surprised at the lack of formal wear, even though a jacket OR tie met the definition of formal at that time. On the first formal night there were two young chaps in T-shirts and baseball caps in the main dining room. They did, however, wear some type of jacket. It was inevitable that "formal nights" were soon downgraded to "gala" with a meaningless definition.

Ultimately it is the passengers who decide the dress code. If the majority on any cruise line don't like dressing for dinner the dress code will be dumbed down or abandoned. Thankfully I don't see that happening any time soon on Cunard.

Naughty Nana, Having recent experience on all 3 QUEENS ( within last 18 mo.) let me assure you the real-live people on board are not as judgmental as some of the posters, here. I've never seen anyone turned away from anything on formal nights., everyone I've seen has been nicely dressed...altho S O M E do dress Way over the T O P with almost 'costume-like' formal dresses. Refined and respectful really describes the clothing of most of the guests. And, as has been correctly pointed out,

if you want jeans and a sweatshirt..... you won't go hungry in the buffet.

Naughty Nana, Having recent experience on all 3 QUEENS ( within last 18 mo.) let me assure you the real-live people on board are not as judgmental as some of the posters, here. I've never seen anyone turned away from anything on formal nights., everyone I've seen has been nicely dressed...altho S O M E do dress Way over the T O P with almost 'costume-like' formal dresses. Refined and respectful really describes the clothing of most of the guests. And, as has been correctly pointed out,

if you want jeans and a sweatshirt..... you won't go hungry in the buffet.

Jeans? After 6? 😮

Jan: You have my support. We don't mind dressing up and have found some work-arounds that keep our luggage from becoming too cumbersome. But I too am itinerary-driven, and love the QM2 for the crossings. No other line does crossings, unless you count repositionings in the spring and fall, and the odd Iceland voyage, so if you like to cross the Atlantic by ship, you have Cunard and the QM2. I would just prefer a modest amount of flexibility regarding the formal dress code.

"A modest amount of flexibility " will always find people going to the extreme and you will have jeans,trainers and baseball hats !!!

"A modest amount of flexibility " will always find people going to the extreme and you will have jeans,trainers and baseball hats !!!

That certainly happened on Celebrity when they went from "formal" to "evening chic"; a few people always want to push the boundaries and test the rules, so now you get Hawaiian shirts on "evening chic" nights, since a "collared shirt" is all that's required.

Cue for my own "horror story" again. On a TA last year, in QM2's theatre for the evening show, there was a [gentle]man in jeans, a T shirt and a "Vote Trump" baseball cap.

Cue for my own "horror story" again. On a TA last year, in QM2's theatre for the evening show, there was a [gentle]man in jeans, a T shirt and a "Vote Trump" baseball cap.

Oh well, that all seems perfectly self explanatory to me :')

I believe the odds are quite high that anyone who has been on more than one TA has seen someone dressed similarly in the Royal Court Theater (usually in the 1st row of seats). Unfortunately, there is always a a few who want to flaunt the rules and want eveyone to watch them doing it. I have observed people being turned away after 6pm in the bars for not being properly dressed. Why this is not done in the theater is perplexing. Edited by BobBranst

I might have said was that actually THE Donald but I want my new ESTA.

I believe the odds are quite high that anyone who has been on more than one TA has seen someone dressed similarly in the Royal Court Theater (usually in the 1st row of seats). Unfortunately, there is always a a few who want to flaunt the rules and want eveyone to watch them doing it. I have observed people being turned away after 6pm in the bars for not being properly dressed. Why this is not done in the theater is perplexing.

Could not agree with you more, I think some of these people are trying to be clever by showing how ignorant they are and not respecting other people.:mad::mad:

I believe the odds are quite high that anyone who has been on more than one TA has seen someone dressed similarly in the Royal Court Theater (usually in the 1st row of seats). Unfortunately, there is always a a few who want to flaunt the rules and want eveyone to watch them doing it. I have observed people being turned away after 6pm in the bars for not being properly dressed. Why this is not done in the theater is perplexing.

Sorry I forgot to mention also, I think it would be a good idea to ask the Cruise Director why th dress code is not enforced in the theatre?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dear NaughtyNanna,

Yes planning a ship trip does take time, patience, and persistance.

Carnivals (CCL/CUK :NYSE/LSE) Cunard Line has some wonderful vessels.

Cunard is IMHO one of the worlds best , still. Not just to carry the Mail..either..

As in love and life, cruising is what we make of it.

Each Cruise Line has attributes in it's own way. Celebrating each will help you too.

Dressing up IMHO is a Personal and/or a Professional choice.

Tuxedo was an American Invention. Thus named for Tuxedo and Tuxedo Park, New York.

Here on the New Jersey website CruiseCritic sometimes people like to raze others.. ignore most of it ,as sometimes jaded expression is a personal method ...really just loquacious palaver.

You book your cruise, pay for it, and board the ship as everyone does.

You may well like vanilla ice cream and others may like chocolate or strawberry or coffee or Rocky Road.. it is choice.

Dressing is too , well within reason .. a lot of New Yorkers think dressing up is wearing a Communist Chinese made T-Shirt of low end Egyptian Cotton with torn Denims and a Cap made in E. Pakistan.. but that is a choice.

Not mine but it is choice.

Here in the US States we are, IMHO, way overcharged for travel on thosr commercial metal tubes call Jet Planes, so many added FEES. It is getting like those Nickle and Dime Cruise Lines now.

My Grandfather had a chain of Habidasheries and he was as his Brothers he employed in other states always dressed well. Babe Ruth was a family friend and even he was dashingly dressed in those times.

But now people have to pay HIGH Baggage Fees for the Suits, Tuxedos, smoking jackets etc.. to be brought . Well your able to ship your luggage seperately too .. but what a PITA!!

When are cruise liones going to have like Cunnard does with White Glove Services?

But again those FEES are a lot of cost too.

Inasmuch as in church it is not what ones wear , nor how much they tithe, but what they believe and faith is.

Ignor the ignorant for they not know what they do !

Again to what people choice to wear is a personal choice. No matter what I see and think is righjt/.. they are right as they are the ones wanting and to wear what the chouice is they have.

So please have a great cruise on a great cruise line! I wager you will meet many wonderful people and have a special time with memories well.

Sometimes it's not so much choosing Cunard, it's about finding a ship that's going where you want to go on the days you want to go there. I will be sailing on QV next year and it will be my first time on Cunard. I didn't specifically choose Cunard, but needed to line up a specific itinerary at the conclusion of a land tour, and this was the only one that ticked those boxes for the date I required. I have no issue with "dressing up" but I will probably be at the lower end of what is acceptable - no tiaras for me! I must say, the more I read this thread, the more I am thinking it is not going to be very enjoyable if the majority of the other passengers are as judgemental as some posters on here!

Regards

Jan

Edited by AAAAmerican

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard there are tuxes available from last year's rentals - perhaps check with your local tux shop - but Hickey Freeman factory store sounds promising! Congrats on the jewelry - please remember to remove them before laundry -

:)

Thanks so much for the helpful answers to the tux mysteries. The rental expense is more than we would like to spend! Don't know if there is such a thing as a 'cheap tux' in the Rochester area (where they make Hickey Freeman suits & tuxes and have a true factory store)! But we'll see what we can find.

He already has the 'jewelry' covered. 51 years ago, my grandmother gave him my grandfather's cuff link and stud set. They are rather modest by today's standards, but I'm so pleased he'll finally be able to wear them. Also found some funny 'space' socks :D.

I have glanced at the sailing bds - once we have some of this other stuff under control, will get back to it. Wonder what percentage of the passengers are interested in the Space topic? Thank you for your welcome!

There are so many options for those who want NOT TO DRESS! If one chooses Cunard- one is prepared to dress propperly. By day or by night- no matter what. I did a few crossing on board the Mary. During the day I do not dress differently as on other cruise lines. Comfortable daytime wear! I wore nice comfy pants ( like sweat pants- not the skid row ones, mind) and nice slip ons when reading my book in several lounges or walking outside on deck. For taking breakfeast and lunch in the Main Dinning Room- I changed into the same kind of clothing I would wear at home when going to a restaurant! In the evening one always can stay on deck 7 and enjoy a nice relaxed, NOT dressed up evening!

As for flying- that is no argument for me- neither a tux nor a nice dress are taking that much space and weight! In my book- who can afford a Cunard cruise ( there cheaper cruises on the market) can afford to bring propper clothing!

I have to admit, I had to rise many an eybrow when I came along some passenger who were dressed like street vendors in Vietnam! No offense ment- but still...!

How cruise lines can allow shorts or flipp flopps in the dinning room is beyong me!

There are still nice camp grounds around...!

Speaking of 'formal' - Can one rent a tux on board through Cunard? On a very superficial look at the web site, I didn't see any thing about rentals, but our TA thought they did rent on board. ???

We are going for Space Week from Brooklyn next month and returning to NYC on the QM2 the following week. I know my DH would rather wear a space suit, than a tux! :evilsmile:

Any information would be appreciated.

We went to a high end designer consignment store and found a beautiful hand sewn Kiton tuxedo for a fraction of the original price. We had it tailored and it is like brand new and custom fit.

• 3 weeks later...

the problem with a tux/suit on a cruise is the luggage space they take up - the suit, the shirt, tie, socks, shoes...that's a lot of space/weight in the luggage....

how much is an on board rental?.

and do they carry really big sizes? 46 extra long jacket? (to go with size 40 trousers)... even the tie has to be extra long...

and do they rent shoes? shlepping hubbies size 14 shoes could take up half the darn suitcase...

.seems either renting or going buffet is the only way we'll be able to do it..