Favorite cruise directors and why?

Horsegrl

Handre was taught and mentored by Barry Hopkins who was a lovely man and the most experienced Seabourn CD.

He also brought John Barron to Seabourn who is now back at Regent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The late, great Barry Hopkins was a gem and a truly talented gentleman. John Barron was also lovely.

Going back to the original triplets, David E Green has been the longest tenured Seabourn employee and a wonderful and talented person. Jan is also a great CD full of natural grace. As an ACD I loved Marla from Alabama IIRC.

I also loved Eric DeGray, especially on Xmas cruises where he dressed up as the tallest elf I have ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody remember Tony Markie ?:D

Also at Azamara. They seem to have many ex Seabourn employees. Tony was mentioned in an Azamara press release just last week as the Cruise Director for their new ship Pursuit. (New for them, not a new ship.)

My current favorite is Sophie. She is energetic, sincere, sweet, down to earth, charming, and can belt out "Goldfinger" like nobody's business.

After the embarrassingly badly organized and executed Singpore port launch of the Encore which I endured and at which the "godmother"

Sarah Brightman did not even bother to sing (so what's the point of her being there, as an example of just one disappointment of this late starting and dragged out night), I asked Richard Meadows a few questions. One was why no one asked Sophie who was in attendance (as Sojourn was there too) to sing. We know her and like her and that simple lift would have made a big difference. The event thereby would have been for us and not conducted as tiresome corporate exercise- which it was.

I expect Sophie to be on the Grand Voyage of Sojourn this winter and look so forward to seeing her!

Happy and healthy sailing!

We disembarked Encore in Sydney 4 December - detailed review to follow.

We clicked up our 100 day milestone on this cruise and had Handre as CD for the very first time. Now I fully understand all those positive comments on him. Truly outstanding. Sophie a very close second.

Handre told me he will be going to Ovation next year.

• 3 weeks later...

A slight thread revival as I have a new name to add:

Ross Roberts.

We currently have him on Sojourn and he has greatly added to our cruise on so many levels. To say he goes above and beyond the call of duty would be an understatement. He injects fun and energy where ever he performs his duties and has created so great memories.

A very different character to someone like Handre, neither better nor worse, but different. In some ways very old school, in other ways a breath of fresh air for Seabourn.

Like so many of the other names mentioned a very genuine person keen to ensure inclusivity, he is always looking to scoop up that lonely soul on the fringes of the party, but also a fireball of energy.

I would be extremely happy to have him as CD on any future cruises.

He also bears a striking resemblance to Father Christmas........ :)

Henry :)

It appears that David E Greene - an old favourite CD for many Seabourn sailors from the days of the Little Sisters - has entered hospice care near his sister’s home in Maryland.

I’ve been sadly expecting a post like this since I heard the news earlier this year. I was on one of his last cruise with him late last autumn on Odyssey and could tell he wasn’t as energetic but chalked it up to fatigue. :( Very sad news indeed.

So sorry to hear. He was on our first Seabourn, on the Legend. He remembered the late Debbie Natansohn (a childhood friend who had been President of SB when the Odyssey class ships were ordered); we shared a cry. Lovely man, fun guy. I hope his passing is comfortable.

Very sad to pick up news this morning from a couple of threads on Facebook. It appears that David E Greene - an old favourite CD for many Seabourn sailors from the days of the Little Sisters - has entered hospice care near his sister’s home in Maryland.

Sad news indeed. He was CD on our first ever Seabourn cruise on the Legend too, and on our most recent on Odyssey, and a couple in between. Great energy, patience, a powerful performer and an asset to Seabourn. His passing will be mourned by hundreds if not thousands of Seabourn sailors.