Captain's Voice from the Bridge, Can people be quie for ten minutes??

sail7seas

Originally posted by wander

The above quoted words from an AA prayer can be very useful for individuals in certain situations. However. being presented as is was here I looked at it as a real "put down" to folks who were expressing their views on a topic. I for one certainly realize I cannot change the behavior of hundreds of people on a ship, nor do I plan to try, but I hope I am still allowed to wish for change. If we limited CC discussion to only topics we as individuals can change - I do believe that over 50% (not a scientific number) of comments on CC would be eliminated. How could we complain about HAL changes we do not like, or pool chair hogs, or the way crew were treated by passengers, etc??????

Excellent post. Thank you.

IMO You are being exceedingly polite :halo: to call it t a put down, I could think of a few other words to describe what I think of that 'conneciton. :D ;p

Edited by sail7seas

It seems to me it is quite a leap from wishing people show more c ourtesy and respect in Lido when th e Captain is speaking, to equating them with persons with addictions who need a many step program such as AA? ReallY? I've read some strange leaps on this forum but I think this one may take the prize. Anyone w ish to walk that one back?

Perhaps you'd like a bit of the history of the Serenity Prayer. It is not only a prayer for AA. Here's information about the prayer's history

http://www.chronicle.com/article/Who-Wrote-the-Serenity-Prayer-/146159

Here's some information on how AA started using it, along with additional history of the prayer.

http://silkworth.net/aa/Serenity-Prayer-Origin.html

There's no need for anyone to "walk that one back".

With the exception of a couple of posters on this very long thread, I am surprised that no one has discussed the quality of Captain's daily announcement which range from perfunctory to extremely informative depending on the Captain. Some Captains announce ship positions in latitude and longitude which is only helpful if you walk around with a nautical chart under your arm and some omit weather forecasts which I find to be the most useful routine information. Other Captains spice up their daily announcements with interesting historical facts or other anecdotes. So its natural that some Captains elicit more attention than others. The Lido is an inherently noisy area so, if I'm interested in the Captain's announcement, I'll get up from the table for a minute and stand under the closest speaker. Not a big deal in my mind.

Perhaps you'd like a bit of the history of the Serenity Prayer. It is not only a prayer for AA. Here's information about the prayer's history

http://www.chronicle.com/article/Who-Wrote-the-Serenity-Prayer-/146159

Here's some information on how AA started using it, along with additional history of the prayer.

http://silkworth.net/aa/Serenity-Prayer-Origin.html

There's no need for anyone to "walk that one back".

No Thank you. not exaclty what people come to an internet cruise BB for. There are many places on the web those who seek such, can visit. Good yo u are so familiar with such if that is what you wish. Like proably a huge number of people who post and read here,,, Of all things I may need to work on adddiction is not one of them. Well, maybe addcition to CC. :D

Edited by sail7seas

With the exception of a couple of posters on this very long thread, I am surprised that no one has discussed the quality of Captain's daily announcement which range from perfunctory to extremely informative depending on the Captain. Some Captains announce ship positions in latitude and longitude which is only helpful if you walk around with a nautical chart under your arm and some omit weather forecasts which I find to be the most useful routine information. Other Captains spice up their daily announcements with interesting historical facts or other anecdotes. So its natural that some Captains elicit more attention than others. The Lido is an inherently noisy area so, if I'm interested in the Captain's announcement, I'll get up from the table for a minute and stand under the closest speaker. Not a big deal in my mind.

I believe I made reference to this in a previous post on this thread.

The quality as well as the quantity of information provided during the "Voice from the Bridge" varies with the PR abilities and, maybe, the interests of the ship's Master.

Other posts about checking the channels on the TV for when these broadcasts are made and one is in one's stateroom are helpful. Rather than rushing to open the door to the corridor, I'd surely rather do that. Thanks for the information!

If people in the Lido would simply carry on their conversations at the same level as before the announcement started, all would be well. But that's not what happens. When the captain starts his announcement, a lot of people jack up their levels to override the announcement. If they would just continue at the same level, this thread would probably not exist. But when they shout to each other, in an attempt to override the captain's voice, that is what creates the problem.

If people in the Lido would simply carry on their conversations at the same level as before the announcement started, all would be well. But that's not what happens. When the captain starts his announcement, a lot of people jack up their levels to override the announcement. If they would just continue at the same level, this thread would probably not exist. But when they shout to each other, in an attempt to override the captain's voice, that is what creates the problem.

Yes, Tad, you are right. :)

I believe I made reference to this in a previous post on this thread.

The quality as well as the quantity of information provided during the "Voice from the Bridge" varies with the PR abilities and, maybe, the interests of the ship's Master.

Other posts about checking the channels on the TV for when these broadcasts are made and one is in one's stateroom are helpful. Rather than rushing to open the door to the corridor, I'd surely rather do that. Thanks for the information!

I, /too, rush to the door so I can open it to hehar whatever is being said on the speaker system, when I am in my cabin.

Venn Diagram:Thank you for that.I learned it in a non-AA capacity but I have a friend who is many years in recovery who uses the serenity prayer as his mantra when he wakes up every morning.

With all due respect to the thousands of people for whom this prayer is of great importance on a daily basis, I think it would serve many of us well when we read threads on CC. Perhaps it is serendipitous that it found its way into this discussion. Thanks, Sea Girl.

IMO, a prayer is a prayer, and we all share a need of it in some mysterious way, even if we don't have a direct connection to the most common application of that prayer. Therefore, perhaps it shouldn't ever be cause for offence.

I didn't mean it as a putdown..and I'm certainly not trying to shut people down..it just seems to me that there needs to be a little-as the kids say-chill-when it comes to certain situations. And this whole thread is a good example of such.

I think the same could be said of many threads on CC. It also seems as soon as the op starts ANY thread put downs from 4 or 5 of the same posters (not you) quickly follow, over and over, saying the same thing. I'd hate to go through life being that miserable.

Thank you..Honestly,I'm not sure how that could be seen as a put down..fortunately there are plenty of people who saw my comment for what it was..a plea for some sanity/serenity(obviously)
Your post was fine.

Some here have exhausted and put down all suggestions so I guess the only thing left is to stand on the table and scream at everyone to shut up. Personally I prefer to adapt and find a quiet spot.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Your post was fine.

Some here have exhausted and put down all suggestions so I guess the only thing left is to stand on the table and scream at everyone to shut up. Personally I prefer to adapt and find a quiet spot.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Gonna put my foot in my mouth again here I'm sure (and it's me trying to bring a bit of levity to the thread)but it is really not rocket surgery to try to find a quiet spot on a HAL ship.

Gonna put my foot in my mouth again here I'm sure (and it's me trying to bring a bit of levity to the thread)but it is really not rocket surgery to try to find a quiet spot on a HAL ship.

Hmmm, If on deck the Captain might be drowned out by the snoring!

Hank

OK, since you bravely risked putting your foot in it, I’ll join you. Are posts like these really intended to find a solution or just a way of having something to write?

At issue is a frustrating situation with no immediate solution. IMO, a valid topic and certainly not just a way of having something to write.

Avoiding the Lido at a time when the announcement is expected is not a true solution, as the announcement is still drowned out (back in the Lido). That is merely a few people adapting while the problem persists. The seriousness of the issue is obviously subjective.

Bolding is mine..

Hmmmmm.., is the term 'rocket surgery' a new hybrid metaphor derived from combining 'rocket science' and 'brain surgery' by chance? LoL..:)