Muster Drill, Which One Are You?

Yvonne

Do you arrive on time for the muster drill, somewhere in the middle, or late?

We always go to our muster station the first time it is announced/sounded. Then we wait. And wait. And wait some more. :(

I stopped reading a cruise report when she said they purposely wait to be "last" so they'll be able to be "first" when let go. :( (There were other reasons, like her not liking children in the hot tub but her own kid was in one, besides the lollygagging to the muster drill that caused me to abandon her report).

Then I was reading about the noro virus on a recent Carnival cruise, and several people say they wait "until last" to go so they don't have to be amongst the people coughing and sneezing, etc.

I feel if people would all just get there on time and get it over with the muster drill would take half as long as it does, since we wouldn't have to be waiting on the lollygaggers. And there would be lots less sneezing and coughing being done if everyone arrived on time and got it over with as well!!

So, which are you? When do you arrive for muster drill?

We always go to our muster station the first time it is announced/sounded. Then we wait. And wait. And wait some more. :(

I stopped reading a cruise report when she said they purposely wait to be "last" so they'll be able to be "first" when let go. :( (There were other reasons, like her not liking children in the hot tub but her own kid was in one, besides the lollygagging to the muster drill that caused me to abandon her report).

Then I was reading about the noro virus on a recent Carnival cruise, and several people say they wait "until last" to go so they don't have to be amongst the people coughing and sneezing, etc.

I feel if people would all just get there on time and get it over with the muster drill would take half as long as it does, since we wouldn't have to be waiting on the lollygaggers. And there would be lots less sneezing and coughing being done if everyone arrived on time and got it over with as well!!

I am habitually early for everything.

Me too. Unfortunately, on our last cruise that was very irritating and I stood holding my 19 month old in his life jacket, me in mine and all these people were late.

We found the same thing if you go immediately. You get pushed to the back and have to wait forever for the stragglers. We try to go in "the middle". Regarding norovirus, you don't get it from coughing and sneezing, but from people who don't wash their hands when they use the restroom and before they eat. You get that nasty summer cold from the coughers and sneezers which is almost as much fun (not).

we wait about 5 minutes, and then go.

After a few times of going straight to muster once the first announcement is made, we now wait a good 5/10 minutes to head down.

Unfortunately, the sheer logistics of 3000+ people reporting at the same time is just impossible. We chose to be on the back end of this group, thus reducing the amount of time required standing in the heat, frustrated.

Call it selfish, but it is what it is. I consider it being a seasoned cruiser.

I am habitually late for everything, but I make sure I turn up on time for the muster drill and pay attention. I am an extremely strong swimmer and very fit and strong but that won't help me miles from anywhere in cold water. People should pay attention and arrive on time, not only could it save your own life but it could also save the lives of others. The recent Costa disaster should show how important the drill is.

I'm a band director, and I've noticed that some people just don't care about others and just take their time no matter what. After competitions I am constantly stuck waiting around for kids to be picked up because their parents weren't ready to come to get them when their kid called 30 minutes prior to say they'd be home in 30 minutes. It's annoying, but some people just don't care about others...which I think probably carries through to these drills.

We are going on our first cruise this July, my wife and I, and we will probably be at the drill on time because that's what we do.

I'm a band director, and I've noticed that some people just don't care about others and just take their time no matter what.

That's what is particularly frustrating for those of us who do show up on time.

It seems Carnival and other cruise lines as well should be mopre proactive in their announcements.

Of course, if they really wanted to end the latecomers coming, the following announcement would do it.....

"THE MUSTER DRILL WILL BEGIN PROMPTLY AT 4PM. THOSE NOT PRESENT BY 4:10 WILL BE REQUIRED TO ATTEND A MAKE-UP DRILL AT 6AM THE NEXT MORNING"

I am habitually late for everything, but I make sure I turn up on time for the muster drill and pay attention. I am an extremely strong swimmer and very fit and strong but that won't help me miles from anywhere in cold water. People should pay attention and arrive on time, not only could it save your own life but it could also save the lives of others. The recent Costa disaster should show how important the drill is.

I totally agree with you.

For the few moments it takes for everyone to listen to the instructions that are given.

My life is important to me.

Ask yourself - Is your life important to you and your loved ones.........

We sure " Don't" need another Costa disaster.....

Well, we're certainly not there first. But, we're not last either. We don't rush to the drill when the announcement is made, but the drill isn't delayed because of us. I have severe arthritis in my spine--you wouldn't know it unless you saw me first thing in the morning before my joints wake up--and can't stand for a long time, so arriving early isn't an option for me. As others have mentioned, I also am frustrated having to wait for those who show up late and delay the drill.

We have always gone early and waited..and waited on all the freekin stragglers.

On the way to muster, I have actually seen people with trays of food on the Lido

deck.. just sitting down to eat after they called for everyone to report!

On our first cruise, I made the huge mistake of listening to my wife and going

back to the cabin with her before the muster call. They called the muster

and promptly shut off the elevators.

My knees give me a lot of problems and going up a few decks was quite painful.

Now, I will ALWAYS be on or above our muster station deck.;)

This is one case of the ME ME ME part of cruising I really hate, the ones that think they

are above going and standing there like everyone else and hide out in their cabin

or wherever.

I am 100% in favor of them debarking ANY passenger who does not attend.

Even with the excuse they are old, sick, tired or weary..blah blah blah!!

If they can't do muster, then they don't need to be cruising.:mad:

Camping perhaps, no muster, but lots of mustard.

For me, it depends on the class of ship. We normally in our cabin when the initial announcement (stating the drill will take place shortly) is made. If we're on a Conquest class ship (where you actually are standing on deck, by the boats, during the drill), I'll wait until after the signal has completely sounded and start heading that way right when the "This is the signal that the Safety Briefing is now in progress..." announcement is made. That way we're not scrunched in the back. If we're on a ship where we're inside (Dream/Fantasy class), I try to start heading that way right when the signal sounds so as to get the best seats (closest to the exit). Either way, I'm never late for it. I also always am quiet and pay attention. I guess that's the airline pilot in me. I do the same for the safety briefing on airplanes, too. Even though I can recite it in my sleep, I always give my undivided attention just as a courtesy to the flight attendants.

The problem is, they serve you a $9 drink 2 minutes before muster starts then wont let you take it out there! Bad planning if you ask me.

If they want people to pay attention they shouldn't serve ANY drinks until the muster drill is over. I know it's never going to happen. Way too many drunks out there making noise and carrying on. Buffet should be closed 30 minutes before drill so no one is still eating.

The problem is, they serve you a $9 drink 2 minutes before muster starts then wont let you take it out there! Bad planning if you ask me.

Don't serve alcohol until the muster drill is over and then people would make sure they get there sooner rather than later!;)

Archived