New Year in Maderia?

Hi everyone!

A while ago we booked Azura for a cruise that takes in Maderia for New Year celebrations 2012/13. We have cruised a number of times on P@O and Princess, but never a 'special date' type trip.

We would be interested to hear from previous revellers what it's like, clothes worn, food, entertainment provided and the event it'self?

Sandie :D

I can't speak for P&O but this year I worked on Fred Olsen for their Christmas / New Year cruise covering a senior member of staff who could not sail due to illness. We visited Maderia on that cruise but spent NYE in Santa Cruise Tenerife, P&O Oceana was docked next to us.

The staff will certainly pull out all the stops to make it a big party for everyone on board. NYE on FO was themed and lots of people dressed up for the evening. They did a Scottish themed event with Whiskey, Haggis and bag pipes. There was a large deck party to observe the fireworks display which went off at the stroke of midnight. Live music, lots of free booze and food. All the ships in the area were sounding their horns etc... The atmosphere was fantastic.

I would expect Maderia would be very similar and that P&O would be doing something similar regarding a themed dress code, drinks, party poppers balloons etc..

You will have a fantastic time.

We were on Azura last xmas / new year in the Caribbean. New Years Eve was a formal night and there was a deck party that went on well into the night - or the next morning. There were also other parties going on in different places (bars and lounges) around the ship.

We had two "new years" countdowns - a UK one and a Caribbean one, due to the different time zones. The main one had the usual countdown with lots of noise.

My best NYE memory was on a Princess ship a few years back. The Captain kept the ship just off the coast of Bonaire (if memory serves me right) and at midnight we were treated to a fantastic fireworks display on the island that went on about 20 minutes! When were got talking to folks the next day, seems many had missed it as they had been at the party and were looking inwards to the ship and not outwards towards the land!

I'm sure you'll have a great night whatever you do. Happy crusing.

You spend a very pleasant day on the island. The weather cannot be guaranteed of course, but it will be warmer than the UK. There are a number of tours available, but a walk round Funchal and a coffee with a Portugese egg custard tart is a must!

After a gala dinner, black tie naturally, everyone repairs to the upper decks or balconies, warmly wrapped up, to watch the most spectacular firworks display you will ever see.

Enjoy.

Archived