Regent Cape Town to Cape Town Cruise Dec. 2018

Sachmo

Realize it's early, but since the ship is more than 1/2 booked, probably lots of folks who have already been making plans. We're just starting to look at things such as how long to stay in Cape Town pre-cruise and what to do while we're there.

I was going to post a link to the roll call but I see you already posted there. :)

We looked at this cruise but we can’t get free in December. We ended up booking the following cruise from SA to Rio. I’m sure you’ll have an amazing trip!

My husband and I where in Cape Town last year at this time, but it wasn't on a cruise. Anyway, we spend two great nights in the wine lands (we had a driver). We spend another three nights in Cape Town at the Cape Grace hotel, which was located at the waterfront with wonderful views of Table Mountain. If you are interested in more details, please email me at irishwitchy at gmail.com. Lots of wonderful restaurants in the winelands and Cape Town. You have to go see the penguins also! We also did safaris, but that was in the northeast part of South Africa.

Two years ago we sailed from Dubai to Cape Town on Regent Voyager.

A great 30 day cruise.

We disembarked and were picked up by our tour guide to head straight for the wine lands before everything shut for Christmas.

We had 3 days and nights in Franschoek to taste some wine.

Then we travelled back to Cape Town, enjoying a day tour on the way. Lots of scenic stops, including the penguins and a lovely seafood lunch before arriving at our hotel.

We had 3 nights in Cape Town, including Christmas Day, before flying into Aruthusa Lodge on Boxing Day to stay 3 nights.

We had our guide for one of the Cape Town days which was worthwhile.

We loved South Africa and hope to return one day. Our stay was a little short but we managed to see quite a lot.

We blogged about it

http://thefletchers.com.au/The_Fletchers/South_Africa_2015/Entries/2015/12/22_Cape_Town.html

One of the pages has a large blank section - keep scrolling down to the bottom to find the "next" button.

I hope this helps. Terry also did some Safaris and has wonderful photos worth having a look at. I hope he won't mind me posting the link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Edited by jillyf
Links not working

Two years ago we sailed from Dubai to Cape Town on Regent Voyager.

A great 30 day cruise.

We disembarked and were picked up by our tour guide to head straight for the wine lands before everything shut for Christmas.

We had 3 days and nights in Franschoek to taste some wine.

Then we travelled back to Cape Town, enjoying a day tour on the way. Lots of scenic stops, including the penguins and a lovely seafood lunch before arriving at our hotel.

We had 3 nights in Cape Town, including Christmas Day, before flying into Aruthusa Lodge on Boxing Day to stay 3 nights.

We had our guide for one of the Cape Town days which was worthwhile.

We loved South Africa and hope to return one day. Our stay was a little short but we managed to see quite a lot.

We blogged about it

http://thefletchers.com.au/The_Fletchers/South_Africa_2015/Entries/2015/12/22_Cape_Town.html

One of the pages has a large blank section - keep scrolling down to the bottom to find the "next" button.

I hope this helps. Terry also did some Safaris and has wonderful photos worth having a look at. I hope he won't mind me posting the link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

We cruised CapeTown- Capetown in 2015 on the Mariner. We arrived two days earlier and saw the local sights including the waterfront area. We then went on the included three day safari to Eagles Crag. We left a day earlier, (booked through Regent). It was awesome.

Enjoy. We loved it.

Sheila

We cruised CapeTown- Capetown in 2015 on the Mariner. We arrived two days earlier and saw the local sights including the waterfront area. We then went on the included three day safari to Eagles Crag. We left a day earlier, (booked through Regent). It was awesome.

Enjoy. We loved it.

Sheila

We are booked on this cruise. We plan to do the same as you....couple of nights early in Cape Town, and pre-cruise 3 day safari. We chose the Bayethe Tented Lodge which is in the same reserve (Shamwari) as Eagles Crag.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a couple of days in Cape Town, plus the off the ship trip to Kruger during the cruise staying at the Lakumbi Lodge. Can not over state just how different the a wildlife drive in a National Park is different than a private reserve. Go early and/or stay longer, but work with your TA for a trip to the Kruger and a couple of days in Cape Town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a couple of days in Cape Town, plus the off the ship trip to Kruger during the cruise staying at the Lakumbi Lodge. Can not over state just how different the a wildlife drive in a National Park is different than a private reserve. Go early and/or stay longer, but work with your TA for a trip to the Kruger and a couple of days in Cape Town.

I certainly understand what you are saying but one should not discount Regent safari's. Some of us are quite happy to see the "Big Five" (or even the "Big Four" in a private reserve (several hundred acres). We had an amazing time at Eagles Crag and, from what I've read about longer safari's, am happy that we did what we did.

On another note, if the ship stops in Port Elizabeth, I highly recommend the excursion to "ride" the elephants (not the "included" excursion to "see" elephants). While the excursion is pricey, riding an African elephant bareback is different than anything we have done in our lives (yes - we have ridden the smaller, trained elephants in Thailand but that is a totally different experience). The elephants in Port Elizabeth are wild and, although we can ride them, there are many things that one must do out of respect for these incredible elephants (i.e. when we walked with them, they have to walk in front of us).

Cape Town is one of my top five favorite cities in the world. If it were not so far, we would likely fly there annually and forget about cruising. That is how much we love it.

When we spent a couple of days in Cape Town, we used a private guide for a half day excursion. It was amazing and definitely worth it. We arranged for him to pick us up at the airport (early morning arrival), and return us to the hotel when it was check-in time. We did not use Regent's hotel -- only used their air (both times).

For most, it is a once in a lifetime experience and I would do as much as possible while in Cape Town. As I recall, even the private excursion wasn't very expensive. Food in Cape Town is amazing!

P.S. If the ship stops in Durban, try to find a place that serves "Bunny Chow" (this has nothing to do with rabbits). It is a quarter of a loaf of white bread with the center cut out (pieces saved on the side) and spicy curry poured in the cavity. It is amazing and may cost you about $3.00. It goes well with beer. This is a specialty of Durban.

We are booked on this cruise. We plan to do the same as you....couple of nights early in Cape Town, and pre-cruise 3 day safari. We chose the Bayethe Tented Lodge which is in the same reserve (Shamwari) as Eagles Crag.

I am sure you will love Bayethe. As I said, we went a day early, arranged through Regent.

Kruger is great. Years ago, I did a land safari in a jeep all across Kenya and Tanzania. That was incredible. However, we really enjoyed our Safari in Shamwari, a private preserve. All three experiences were very different but all were fascinating. Whichever one does, remember not many people have the opportunity to do a safari. Enjoy!!!!

I am sure you will love Bayethe. As I said, we went a day early, arranged through Regent.

Kruger is great. Years ago, I did a land safari in a jeep all across Kenya and Tanzania. That was incredible. However, we really enjoyed our Safari in Shamwari, a private preserve. All three experiences were very different but all were fascinating. Whichever one does, remember not many people have the opportunity to do a safari. Enjoy!!!!

Bayethe is one of the lodges at Shamwari Reserve. http://www.shamwari.com

We are booked on this cruise plus the crossing afterwards from Cape town to Rio.

Where do I start? We had the best ever trip to South Africa about 10 years ago. Golf, wine, touring, it doesn't get any better than that.

In regards to Cape Town, it is absolutely one of our favourite cities in the world. It has all of the beauty(plus) of San Francisco, Rio and/or Vancouver and so much more. Ocean, mountains and so much to do. Plus the food and wine are out of this world. We can't wait to get back there. I agree with TC, would go there every year in a heart beat if it was not so far away.

We have elected to do the Regent pre cruise tour Winelands... for two reasons. First is because we have decided to carry on and do the Cape Town to Rio crossing. Second reason is that we had a once in a lifetime safari experience at Sabi Sabi years ago and just don't think it could be repeated. So we will enjoy, Cape Town, some of the beautiful wine country and a bit of game viewing before we embark.

Added bonus is that we will be cruising at Christmas. Really hoping John Barron and family will be aboard!

Great to hear Bill. This will be our first crossing as well.

Btw, I think we will be sailing together this January as well from Singapore.

Unfortunately not. We had to scrub that Singapore-Singapore sailing due to scheduling difficulties (which is why we booked Jan '19 instead). I was very disappointed - that's a cool itinerary. Oh, well, can't cruise too long because of the job, but can't quit the job as I need funds to cruise. It's a vicious cycle...

Those of you on the Cape Town to Cape Town 2018 holiday cruise please remember to sign up here for the Meet and Mingle. There are only 6 people signed up so far (3 couples) and we need 12 people for Regent to host our M&M.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcall/cruiselinel2.cfm?cruiselineid=29

Also please sign up for the Roll Call https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2448869

Oh, well, can't cruise too long because of the job, but can't quit the job as I need funds to cruise. It's a vicious cycle...

I enjoyed reading your post! Being retired, I have the time now just need to balance existing funds versus wants and needs. :-)

I enjoyed reading your post! Being retired, I have the time now just need to balance existing funds versus wants and needs. :-)

Herb and I have thrown caution to the wind. No more balancing. This is what we saved all our lives for. We are spending it now. Going through our bucket list. Not waiting for later. Not leaving it to the kids and grandkids. It's for us. Whatever happens later, we will enjoy today!

Herb and I have thrown caution to the wind. No more balancing. This is what we saved all our lives for. We are spending it now. Going through our bucket list. Not waiting for later. Not leaving it to the kids and grandkids. It's for us. Whatever happens later, we will enjoy today!

I like your post even better :D

(y)

I like your post even better :D

Welcome to our group. We are like a family. We love each other but argue with each other all the time. If you notice, all our complaining about an issue with Regent, is not as important as our enjoying our wonderful experiences on their ships.

So keep asking your questions, enjoy our responses and ignore our arguments.

Sheila