Sydney Hotel Sticker Shock

diane.in.ny

I have just started looking for a hotel for a 2 or 3-night pre-cruise stay. We have been to Sydney before and done most of the tourist stuff so just looking to come in early to 1) not worry about flight problems and 2) recover from jet lag.

And the prices are making my mouth drop open.

We don't need anything fancy. Just clean and comfortable.

A couple I've looked at include The York and the Tank Stream. They have good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Any opinions or other suggestions? I was wondering if it might make sense to stay across the harbor for less expensive accommodations. I understand it is supposed to be easy to get from there to the ship terminal but I still have to figure that out.

TIA for any and all assistance.

I have just started looking for a hotel for a 2 or 3-night pre-cruise stay. We have been to Sydney before and done most of the tourist stuff so just looking to come in early to 1) not worry about flight problems and 2) recover from jet lag.

And the prices are making my mouth drop open.

We don't need anything fancy. Just clean and comfortable.

A couple I've looked at include The York and the Tank Stream. They have good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Any opinions or other suggestions? I was wondering if it might make sense to stay across the harbor for less expensive accommodations. I understand it is supposed to be easy to get from there to the ship terminal but I still have to figure that out.

TIA for any and all assistance.

Sydney is often at, or near, the top of the World’s most expensive cities list.

I guess there are a few things to consider

When are you staying?

What is your budget?

Where are you cruising from?

Ibis aren’t too bad price wise (under $200) but are basic. We stayed at the city one earlier this year about $20 for a taxi to the OPT

It would help if you posted the dates you are looking at.

There are a few hotels in North Sydney / Milsons Point. Train access into the city for sightseeing and a short taxi ride to the cruise terminals on embarkation day.

Chatswood is a little further out but still on the train line. Not many hotels but there are a few apartment hotels.

Our dates are Sept 28 and 29, 2018

I understand that weekend has a big sporting event so want to get our reservation done early.

Re: hotels in North Sydney ... are there restaurants nearby? I know in the US, once you get out of some cities, hotels can be pretty isolated.

I just returned from Sydney. We stayed in Potts Point at Hotel Challis which was a very good deal compared to the Quay's prices. We paid $113 US per night. Taxis are relatively inexpensive. We paid $14 from the Quay to Hotel Challis. Lots of restaurants and cafes nearby, the area is safe, a Big Bus and grocery stores are just a 5 mins walk. The hotel is clean, quiet, the rooms are ensuite, and has good TripAdvisor ratings.

So, you can do Sir Stamford for $350 or Hotel Challis for $133+ $14AU taxi ride. It is about a 15-20 min walk from this hotel to Circular Quay.

You are accounting for the currency exchange aren't you? I don't find Sydney prices too bad for such a large metropolitan city.

Yes, I did take into account the currency exchange. You are right that for such a large metropolitan city the prices are probably inline. Just that I'm not used to paying those kinds of prices. In Europe, I manage to find lots of acceptable options for under $150. Just spent a night in a small hotel in Barcelona in the old town area for $127.

I just returned from Sydney. We stayed in Potts Point at Hotel Challis which was a very good deal compared to the Quay's prices. We paid $113 US per night. Taxis are relatively inexpensive. We paid $14 from the Quay to Hotel Challis. Lots of restaurants and cafes nearby, the area is safe, a Big Bus and grocery stores are just a 5 mins walk. The hotel is clean, quiet, the rooms are ensuite, and has good TripAdvisor ratings.

So, you can do Sir Stamford for $350 or Hotel Challis for $133+ $14AU taxi ride. It is about a 15-20 min walk from this hotel to Circular Quay.

Thank you! Going to check it out!

I just returned from Sydney. We stayed in Potts Point at Hotel Challis which was a very good deal compared to the Quay's prices.

Just booked it. More than your $113 but I understand the weekend we will be there is a major sporting event. So warned prices would be higher and to also book soon.

Thanks!

Just booked it. More than your $113 but I understand the weekend we will be there is a major sporting event. So warned prices would be higher and to also book soon.

Thanks!

There is a Woolworth's grocery store about 4 mins away and Maggie's Austrian and German Restaurant right by the police station.

the Devere hotel also looked nice. That is where we had to meet our tour van that took us to the Blue Mountains. That is a great experience for a full day. I have some helpful reviews and info on my website under "Europe and Australia"- you might want to check out the advice on Sydney. http://www.donnagawell.com

There is a Woolworth's grocery store about 4 mins away and Maggie's Austrian and German Restaurant right by the police station.

the Devere hotel also looked nice. That is where we had to meet our tour van that took us to the Blue Mountains. That is a great experience for a full day. I have some helpful reviews and info on my website under "Europe and Australia"- you might want to check out the advice on Sydney. www.donnagawell.com

Thanks for the suggestion but we've been to Sydney before and did the Blue Mountains then. This time just looking for a place to relax and unwind after a long flight.

We went with a Air BNB that is close to the Sydney Airport as I found the prices were very high. Managed to get a room with twin beds for about $120 CAD.

Chris

Agreed that is another option and I did some checking. Some good possibilities in good locations.

For now, going to keep the hotel res. I was just thrilled to grab something under $200US that I didn't have to pay for now and has free cancellation. With Airbnb, we'd have to pay now. But I am going to recheck that option in a couple of months. We might just end up going that way.

Yes, I did take into account the currency exchange. You are right that for such a large metropolitan city the prices are probably inline. Just that I'm not used to paying those kinds of prices. In Europe, I manage to find lots of acceptable options for under $150. Just spent a night in a small hotel in Barcelona in the old town area for $127.[/quo

Yes I have been looking at Europe and agree it can be quite cheap. But I am in shock as I am looking at prices for Jackson Hole and Park City for May. They are so high that it gave me visual migrane!

Remember that places in southern Europe still have a depressed economy. Sydney is booming and it has the lowest unemployment rate in the country as well as a big influx of Asian tourists (which I have read is the same issue as in Wyoming)

Yes I have been looking at Europe and agree it can be quite cheap. But I am in shock as I am looking at prices for Jackson Hole and Park City for May. They are so high that it gave me visual migrane!

I bet. Especially with the exchange rate

Remember that places in southern Europe still have a depressed economy. Sydney is booming and it has the lowest unemployment rate in the country as well as a big influx of Asian tourists (which I have read is the same issue as in Wyoming)

Interesting. I never really thought about Asian tourists heading to Wyoming.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet. Especially with the exchange rate

Interesting. I never really thought about Asian tourists heading to Wyoming.

Hi to Yellowstone or Grand Tetons in the summer. TONS of tour buses with Asians visiting the beautiful national parks.

• 2 weeks later...
I like Potts Point location, where you can get a bus or walk to the city through the Botanical Gardens. You might like to google DeVere Hotel at Potts Point (3 star).

We are booked at Hyde Park Inn but this one looks interesting, especially the price for the premium balcony. Do you have first hand knowledge of this hotel? I looks good, but the low price makes me wonder. Even the Hotel Challis is less expensive than our current reservation at Hyde Park Inn.

Between the 3, any recommendations? TYIA

I just booked an apartment at the Meriton Suites Pitt Street for 5 nights prior to embarkation. This has a kitchen and laundry facilities.

Is anyone familiar with this hotel?

Marilyn

Yep it’s good.

Right in the middle of town.

Nice appartments.

We were lucky to book the Sir Stamford Hotel for 3 nights at a "Flash" sale price. Our cost for 3 nights stay is less than the going rate for 1 night stay. So we're happy!

Breakfast in not included, but I'm sure we'll find lots of places in the area to eat.

We were lucky to book the Sir Stamford Hotel for 3 nights at a "Flash" sale price. Our cost for 3 nights stay is less than the going rate for 1 night stay. So we're happy!

Breakfast in not included, but I'm sure we'll find lots of places in the area to eat.

Where did you find the "flash" sale?