Great shopping place in St. Martin/St. Maarten

realtordebp

A few years ago we were on a cruise to St. Martin and St. Thomas. There was a great shop in one of the ports (we think St. Martin). It was a shop in town with lots of inexpensive items such as dresses and tshirts. Great little shop for souvenirs. Does anyone know the name or the shop I am talking about? Thank you.

Tons of souviner shops downtown; especially on back street. One of the shop owners told me that the shops have been hit hard over the past few years. They haven't seen many tourists shopping anymore. She was wondering if the rumor was true that cruise ships are warning people not to go downtown and take an excursion instead. I told her I didn't think that was true; not on my ship anyway. We felt very safe walking around.

We were just in St Maarten on 3/15. Still many stores on Front and Back Streets closed with Old Street virtually destroyed. Most of the Boardwalk businesses are open and that beach is fully functional. We did see several shops that might fit your description but I couldn't provide names. I would recommend taking extra cash since vendors on both islands had card readers not working.

There's a water taxi to Philipsburg, just follow the herd. You can walk as well but the wt is easiest.

For non-Herds

Don't join the long first main Q for the water taxi (large dual side Q land side building)

Walk past it, and purchase your band from the small ticket office actually on/before the water taxi quay.

Quicker boarding - Simples

I posted this question on another St Martin discussion thread, so forgive the dupe if you've already seen it. But since this is a shopping-specific thread, thinking maybe someone who sees it here may know. I'm looking for a little liquor store about a block back from the boardwalk: they sold cute little painted bottles of coconut rum in all different colors and sizes.

Anyone know the place and if they're still open? It was two years ago and I can't remember their name or where they were located. I read about them in a wonderful trip review on CC, but of course can't remember the poster. :rolleyes:

I posted this question on another St Martin discussion thread, so forgive the dupe if you've already seen it. But since this is a shopping-specific thread, thinking maybe someone who sees it here may know. I'm looking for a little liquor store about a block back from the boardwalk: they sold cute little painted bottles of coconut rum in all different colors and sizes.

Anyone know the place and if they're still open? It was two years ago and I can't remember their name or where they were located. I read about them in a wonderful trip review on CC, but of course can't remember the poster. :rolleyes:

Was it?

Friendly's Duty Free - Sells "Sangsters"

Ma Doudou - Painted Plastic and Glass Bottles.

No idea if they survived the hurricane.

Was it?

Thanks so much for the quick response! :cool: At least now I have a tentative name to search for once I'm there. Maybe someone else will chime in who's visited recently.

Was it?

That's where we got our Ma Doudou this trip. Previously we'd go to Old Street but it's pretty much destroyed now. Remember that old yellow roadster at the front of the street? It's destroyed and pushed nearly all the way to the end. Only a couple of shops open there now.

One note - as of 3/15 several card readers didn't work so you might want to take extra cash. Same thing on St Thomas.

That's where we got our Ma Doudou this trip. Previously we'd go to Old Street but it's pretty much destroyed now. Remember that old yellow roadster at the front of the street? It's destroyed and pushed nearly all the way to the end. Only a couple of shops open there now.

One note - as of 3/15 several card readers didn't work so you might want to take extra cash. Same thing on St Thomas.

Thanks for posting and for the head's up re: card readers. We'll make sure to have cash. (Learned that the hard way during a Cozumel trip where we didn't bring enough cash and discovered no one took credit cards at the places we were at - including the cab driver to get us back to the ship!)

Did you find those cute little painted bottles at the store you visited this trip - or just the brand of rum itself in a normal bottle?

Thanks for posting and for the head's up re: card readers. We'll make sure to have cash. (Learned that the hard way during a Cozumel trip where we didn't bring enough cash and discovered no one took credit cards at the places we were at - including the cab driver to get us back to the ship!)

Did you find those cute little painted bottles at the store you visited this trip - or just the brand of rum itself in a normal bottle?

Not a huge selection but the painted bottles, yes.

Was it Guavaberry Emporium? We bought a large bottle of hand painted rum with our names written on the back there. Be sure to try their Guavaberry Coladas! They are awesome and unique to the island.

Thanks!:D I don't have anything with original store's name on it unfortunately. But will write this one down in my notes. Hope they're still there post hurricane.

are traveler checks the same as cash when negotiating prices?

I have only used travelers cheques at restaurants where I knew the owner and at the bank in St Maarten. I am not sure if small stores would take them. This is a good question and I hope that you get a definitive answer. They are definitely not popular anymore but I to liked them.:)

I remember a shopping area near the rock that says St. Martin hope to see you again soon or something like that. There was a place called the Spice Shack that had cinnamon and vanilla and other spices. Are they open since the damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums