Windstar tour of Barbados ending at airport

Riverroad

Has anyone taken the Windstar tour from the Barbados port that brings you to the airport? If so, what time did you get to the airport? The website indicates this is about a 4 hour tour but doesn't indicate what time you leave the port. We have a 5:00 flight and I don't want to be sitting at the airport for hours.

I did it last week. It was a better than sitting at the airport all day. Took the tour that did not stop at Harrison's cave. It was excellent. Ticket states meeting at 8:15 to depart ship. Tour length is stated as 4.5 hours for people with planes departing after 2:30 pm. During the disembarkation , the group was called to get off the ship at approximately 8:30. We were taken by a small van to the port area where our luggage was located. When we indicated our luggage, windstar agents put a sticker on them. The agent took care of putting the luggage on a truck. Never had to handle the luggage. After the luggage was identified, we boarded a small van ( has AC) for the tour. The tour was a very informative drive around Barbados with 3 stops. The people who went to the cave met us at the plantation. At the last stop, a gorgeous plantaion, we had a nice lunch. Nice buffet with local food and drinks. The rum punch and the rum raisin ice cream were delicious. We arrived at the airport about 1 pm. We were met by Windstar reps with our luggage. The reps helped getting us through the airport havoc. My plane was scheduled to depart at 4:35 pm. AA to miami. Checkin for the plane wasn't open until 1:35pm. Even though the airport looked very crowded, checkin and security went very quickly. The tour and lunch exceeded my expectations. Windstar reps made the day really good. Sign up early before it sells out.

Has anyone taken the Windstar tour from the Barbados port that brings you to the airport? If so, what time did you get to the airport? The website indicates this is about a 4 hour tour but doesn't indicate what time you leave the port. We have a 5:00 flight and I don't want to be sitting at the airport for hours.

One additional factor to consider is that the airlines don't allow you to check in more than three hours before departure and until you can check in, you'll be sitting in a non air-conditioned area of the airport. You only get to the air-conditioned enclosed part of the airport after you've got your boarding pass and your luggage has been checked in for the flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

The Concorde museum is immediately next to the airport. You literally walk across the airport’s parking lot to get to it from the terminal. It has one of the retired Concordes in it and you board it as part of the tour. It’s a nice way to spend time out of the heat before checking in for your flight.

I did the tour in December and we got to the airport before they opened up check in for our flight at 4:00 PM and it was hot waiting in line, and then we had to wait to clear security which was not very organized. Once in the airport it was a madhouse and only one bar which was very small. Maybe this was a unusual situation as this swas December 23 but it was a little stressful.

If you choose to wait at the airport, be ready to be uncomfortable. Airport is mostly outside. It is hot. There are very few places to sit before checking in. Checkin doesn't open up early. There are a limited number of checkin counters. The airlines share checkin space. The excursion is very good. Van is closed with AC. The included lunch and drinks exceeded my expectations. It is much better than the description of a "light deli lunch". At $75pp it is a very nice way to spend the day. Enjoy!

Since I posted the question, I wanted to come back and report on our experience. We did the tour this past Saturday from the Wind Surf with drop-off at the airport. Redtravel has described the tour and our experience was the same. We were dropped off at the airport at 1:00 and check-in for our flight didn’t start until 2:00. I guess we were lucky because it wasn’t a very hot day and there was a great breeze through the outside area where you wait to check-in. There was plenty of seating, a bar and a take-out restaurant. We were comfortable for the hour. Our check-in at Jet Blue was very quick. However, the line for immigration and then for security was quite long. Once inside, the airport is air-conditioned but quite crowded with folks jockeying for seating. Next time in Barbados I’d book an earlier flight. But Wind Star did a great job.