New Orleans: Carnival Glory and Carnival Valor

HCTiger9704

Starting in May 2019, the Carnival Triumph, based in New Orleans, will be replaced by the Carnival Valor, which currently sails from Galveston, according to a news release sent Thursday (Nov. 16).

The Carnival Glory, which is now based in Miami, will move to New Orleans, replacing the larger Carnival Dream, which will move on to homeport in Galveston, Texas.

I am wondering how the Carnival Valor and the Carnival Glory are compared to the Carnival Triumph and the Carnival Dream?

I been on the Carnival Triumph (April 2017) and the Carnival Dream (April 2016) and enjoyed both. I just hope that the Carnival Glory and Carnival Valor are just as good if not better.

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival is wise in making this switch. Norwegian is bringing in a much larger and newer ship to New Orleans in the next 2 years, the Breakaway and the Getaway. Both of them will be sailing 7 day and longer cruises. Royal Caribbean is bringing a ship back to New Orleans to sail 7 day cruises.

Since there will be so many more openings for passengers sailing 7 day cruises from New Orleans with new ships to the port, 7 day cruisers will have many more choices and it will be harder for Carnival to fill their large ship so it is bringing in a smaller ship for 7 day cruisers.

Since only Carnival will be offering 4 and 5 day cruises on a regular basis, all of the 4 and 5 day cruisers will be sailing Carnival so they need a larger newer ship for them.

The Valor and the Glory meet these criteria and they should be able to fill them to capacity every sailing.

They are both fine ships with the Valor being a much newer and better ship than the Triumph and the Glory having most of the bells and whistles that the Dream has except for the cove balconies.

Carnival is wise in making this switch. Norwegian is bringing in a much larger and newer ship to New Orleans in the next 2 years, the Breakaway and the Getaway. Both of them will be sailing 7 day and longer cruises. Royal Caribbean is bringing a ship back to New Orleans to sail 7 day cruises.

Since there will be so many more openings for passengers sailing 7 day cruises from New Orleans with new ships to the port, 7 day cruisers will have many more choices and it will be harder for Carnival to fill their large ship so it is bringing in a smaller ship for 7 day cruisers.

Since only Carnival will be offering 4 and 5 day cruises on a regular basis, all of the 4 and 5 day cruisers will be sailing Carnival so they need a larger newer ship for them.

The Valor and the Glory meet these criteria and they should be able to fill them to capacity every sailing.

They are both fine ships with the Valor being a much newer and better ship than the Triumph and the Glory having most of the bells and whistles that the Dream has except for the cove balconies.

I don’t know about RCCL but the NCL ships are only there in the winter. So it’s a big cutback during the peak months. And I don’t think that RCCL ship is anything to be excited about.

I'm booked on the Glory out of NO 2019, I was sad to see the Dream being replaced by the smaller Glory. Since its larger than any ship that I've been on (so far), I think it will still be a great cruise especially since I booked my first balcony on it.

I’m looking at booking the Glory for a 5 day cruise in March ‘19. Excited for this, as I’ve only been on the Destiny prior, with none of the 2.0 stuff.

I wouldn’t mind seeing NVL or RCCL jump into the 5 day market out of NOLA though.

I'm booked on the Glory out of NO 2019, I was sad to see the Dream being replaced by the smaller Glory. Since its larger than any ship that I've been on (so far), I think it will still be a great cruise especially since I booked my first balcony on it.

And I guess with fewer rooms comes higher prices. I'm sailing on Dream out of New Orleans 8/26/18...And I'm sailing on Glory out of New Orleans 8/25/19. The Glory cruise cost more than Dream.

I wouldn’t mind seeing NVL or RCCL jump into the 5 day market out of NOLA though.

I would too, but NCL really doesn't play in the short cruise market other than the Sky. Carnival seems more committed to serving less traditional ports like Jacksonville, Charleston, Mobile, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got off the Triumph. Wow, that ship is showing her age. We had fun, but I missed having a Serenity deck.

And I just booked for a 7 day on the Glory for Nov 2019. I'm looking forward to a new ship!

New? Let's say different. Glory is actually replacing Dream so it's going to be an older ship.

I just got off the Triumph. Wow, that ship is showing her age. We had fun, but I missed having a Serenity deck.

And I just booked for a 7 day on the Glory for Nov 2019. I'm looking forward to a new ship!

This is really subjective - we came off her in December and had a fantastic trip; I thought she was holding up great!

But - you should know that as of 2019, she is getting "sunshined" on a 2+ month dry dock, so will be one of the "newer" ships in the fleet. I have not seen the detailed of exactly what they are doing but it is a much longer dry dock than normal and the crew had just been advised when I was on that she was getting that big overhaul.