Brilliance Deck 7 Obstructed View Balcony

Here is the view from my room on deck 7.

The obstruction is the lifeboat canopy on the deck below. Basically you cant look straight down.

IMG_0683_zps195ee1b9.jpg

IMG_0488_zps145126c5.jpg

IMG_0487_zpsa7c3b14b.jpg

IMG_0484_zps18017267.jpg

I will warn you. Check what your room is on top of!! Our first room was right on top of the Schooner Bar and we heard the piano/guitar/music well in to the night. Our son was 18 months old at the time and kept waking up crying, upsetting us and the neighbors. After FOUR days of complaints they switched us to the other side of the ship once the comedian got off the ship.

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

I absolutely HATE this obstruction of the lifeboat covers. It bothered me standing at the rail as well as sitting down in the balcony chair.

My one and only time I had this, I didn't realize about Deck 7 but it was a guarantee cabin. I will never purchase a guarantee balcony again on this class ship.

what does guarantee cabin mean

we were told by our travel agent we are guaranteed to have an unobstructed view but we are on deck 7; (

Welcome to Cruise Critic! There are cabins on deck 7 near the front of the ship that are ahead of the lifeboat covers and have an unobstructed view.

It could be one of those, or if you have a cabin number we can tell you. :D

I will tell you that the lifeboats don't obstruct your OUTWARD view at all. Yes...it's a bit worse on deck 7, as they are right there....but the lifeboats are visible from ALL decks above. Lousy ship design.....

There are some "extended balconies" on deck 7, but they aren't as private as the regular balconies, as the divider is not as deep as the balcony. Another design flaw!

Well I have to disagree with many of the comments above about the "obscured view" section of the deck 7 balconies. We were in cabin 7654 on the Serenade of the Seas cruising the Eastern Mediterranean and we loved everything about it. The view below us was slightly obscured but as we spent most of our time on the balcony sitting or laying down, we couldn't really see the obstruction below us. And the additional space that we had on our deck 7 balcony, that none of the other decks above us had, was wonderful. People have commented on them being overlooked but the roofed area is exactly the same as on the other levels but we had an additional area that was outside the roofed area which allowed us to lay down comfortable to sunbathe whilst still staying mainly within the privacy of our covered area. I don't worry if my legs are on view to people sitting above us and surely most of the passengers above us would also be sitting or laying down and not leaning over their balconies looking down on us. Here are a couple of our photos taken on a sea day on our way to Santorini. Not a bad view eh?

784199385_IMG_0929-Copy(600x450).jpg.b04f7d37fe79651fd681a2e83bf11c16.jpg

119401869_IMG_0930-Copy(600x450).jpg.cfa40aa11aece38f503707c3ff354de7.jpg

1096676437_IMG_0940-Copy(600x450).jpg.3cc0db94e41ef46c1ddfc9e592804be7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Well I have to disagree with many of the comments above about the "obscured view" section of the deck 7 balconies. We were in cabin 7654 on the Serenade of the Seas cruising the Eastern Mediterranean and we loved everything about it. The view below us was slightly obscured but as we spent most of our time on the balcony sitting or laying down, we couldn't really see the obstruction below us. And the additional space that we had on our deck 7 balcony, that none of the other decks above us had, was wonderful. People have commented on them being overlooked but the roofed area is exactly the same as on the other levels but we had an additional area that was outside the roofed area which allowed us to lay down comfortable to sunbathe whilst still staying mainly within the privacy of our covered area. I don't worry if my legs are on view to people sitting above us and surely most of the passengers above us would also be sitting or laying down and not leaning over their balconies looking down on us. Here are a couple of our photos taken on a sea day on our way to Santorini. Not a bad view eh?

Beautiful photos!! I have to agree...I don't get the need to "look straight down" from the balcony - when I do cruise in a balcony cabin, I'm about the view towards the horizon or land, not "Ooh, let's look at the water right below me."

We are sailing on the Brilliance in November and are in cabin 7594 on the hump there should be no obstruction correct. Thanks.

Balconies at the front and back of the hump are obstructed by the lifeboat cover as shown in the shot below of the front of the starboard side hump. As you can see the final wedge shape portion of the cover is in front of the balcony for cabin 7594. That is one reason why RCI classifies this as an E3 balcony.

0322fad2-c79a-4178-a9e2-ac8facb03413_zpsrbhvkwnv.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

We are sailing on the Brilliance in November and are in cabin 7594 on the hump there should be no obstruction correct. Thanks.

I have pictures it is obstructed. The cover over the lifeboats tapers there.

Right, left and straight down

ImageUploadedByForums1459694753.093214.jpg.72825add77ac6df1bbc21d0f7a57b063.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1459694769.598534.jpg.81064e0e5099c4c8f18d654e8842ea41.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1459694783.647716.jpg.e83a55f3cd44f03f4fcc59b4e73494b3.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1459694726.957187.jpg.770e25783df7b0027d404220b738d060.jpg

Now here's an obstructed view, deck 6 Celebrity Silhouette

RC Quantum and X Solstice class ships are very similar in design including cabin and ship layout. IMO Quantum is a super sized Solstice class.

P1040878a_zps2fjk5nme.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

• 5 weeks later...

At the end of the day, whether its obstructed or not, as long as you can see the sea, and feel the breeze on your face, while relaxing on the balcony with a nice, cool, glass of wine, who cares! its the privacy of it that counts.. and how long are you actually going to be standing looking over the balcony? I should hope on the voyage. most of it would be going to see the wonderous sights of the ports we stop at, or inside watching fab shows or eating, or sun bathing, or swimming, or dancing, or even getting roasted at the bar lol

• 2 months later...
Balconies at the front and back of the hump are obstructed by the lifeboat cover as shown in the shot below of the front of the starboard side hump. As you can see the final wedge shape portion of the cover is in front of the balcony for cabin 7594. That is one reason why RCI classifies this as an E3 balcony.

0322fad2-c79a-4178-a9e2-ac8facb03413_zpsrbhvkwnv.jpg

Hi Bob, On our upcoming TA, we are in E1 - 7108. As far as I understand it's a 'hump' balcony but no one ever said anything about being obstructed. Do you know if it is??

Hi Bob, On our upcoming TA, we are in E1 - 7108. As far as I understand it's a 'hump' balcony but no one ever said anything about being obstructed. Do you know if it is??

Nice cabin with an extended balcony! The lifeboat covers stop on either side of the hump, and you shouldn't affected by them. :D

Christine, Unfortunately Caralc isn't correct as the lifeboats and their covers extend under the forward and rear section of the hump on Radiance class ship. Cabin 7108 being the first on the rear facing port hump section will have a view similar to that of cabin 7594 over the wedge shape end of the cover just rear of the port hump centrum windows as shown in the shot below.

If you look at the Brilliance deck 7 deck plan on RCI web site it shows the blocked window symbol which indicates an obstructed view balcony but it is the least obstructed of these having only that end wedge section of the rear port lifeboat cover.

(IMG)http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/5/84/726/84726467_large_brilliance_of_the_seas__7_.JPG(/IMG)

Edited by robtulipe

Thanks for the pic Bob! Is 7108 just above or even with the lifeboat? On the RCI website this is what it says "Note: Staterooms 7064, 7066, 7142, 7170, 7564, 7506, 7670, 8058, 8060, 8558, 8560, 8162, 8164, 8662 & 8664 have partially obstructed view. Staterooms 7048, 7548, 7606, 7596, 8042, 8542, 8590, 8600, 9032 and 9532 have a smaller balcony" so no indication that it is obstructed or partially so. We'll see when we get on I guess but I really hope we're not looking out at a big old lifeboat. I'm so looking forward to this cruise! It will be nice to see you and Cheryl again too.

Here's the image for my above post above.

The balcony for cabin 7108 is at the bottom left rear of the centrum windows.

84726467_large_brilliance_of_the_seas__7_.JPG

Edited by chris_kelowna

I suppose I could be wrong, or maybe we were on 8 most recently, but we almost always book a cabin on either side of the elevator, and I don't recall being bothered by the lifeboat covers at that location.

And it is the white cover over the boats that you may see Chris, not the lifeboats themselves. We still enjoy the deeper balconies that these staterooms have. :D

The upwards arrow of the shot below marks the balcony for cabin 7108 on Brilliance's sister ship Serenade. As one can from this from this shot taken from a higher position, the wedge shaped end of the lifeboat cover just to the rear of the centrum elevators windows partially blocks the downward view from that cabin's balcony which is just one deck above the front of the first port side lifeboat behind the centrum. .

attachment.php?attachmentid=391324&d=1470183209

DSC07164b.jpg.1242f80b530828caaa91ac9f387ec243.jpg

Edited by robtulipe