Currently on Constellation 5-19 February 2017

bertrande

I have never done a review of any sort before but will attempt to give updates as and when since many seem concerned about the condition of the Constellation.

27ac82d8cef8d20c0b884cec0137da8b.jpg

25ace149892f32896936982f9f69eb9c.jpg

Check-in was a breeze - not sure if we were that late (we checked in around 2pm) but we saw piles of luggage neatly stacked when our taxi pulled up and nary a line anywhere. Boarding was delayed as I had to be checked by a nurse (having declared my recent fever four days ago) but we were not in a hurry anyway.

Crew so far seem friendly and pleasant enough. We did not like the in your face pushing of specialty dining from before the gangway until we boarded. It made sipping champagne that bit less relaxing.

DH had to go to guest relations for something and was annoyed when 1) the CSO remarked "oh you speak English" and 2) the guest next to him told him in a condescending manner to step aside as he was giving his Captains club number to the person attending to him. He thought that was quite unnecessary so his initial impressions of the ship have not been good. I'm hopeful he will change his mind - it's been a very long two days for us, attending an Australian Day ball late last night and then the frenzy of organising a group (we are 7) for boarding, most of whom are just waiting to be herded around.

We have just met our butler and stateroom attendant - they both seem nice. Our stateroom attendant has just reported for work after being on vacation. Our butler has already placed speciality dining menus in our suite; we have requested for Luminae and MDR menus as well. Have also made a mental note to tip both at least the standard grats for two additional persons as they are serving 5 instead of 3 in the cabin - the sky suite is so tiny it cannot possibly fit the third adult and the infant who were originally booked so they are migrating to our cabin instead.

We are too late for lunch - the buffet is closed now - so we will dine earlier at Luminae tonight. Or check out Sushi on Five as that seems open still!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm really looking forward to hearing more as well - we're on the Constellation next month and I have a feeling you're going to the same ports! Hopen you have a wonderful cruise and thanks for taking the time to do the review

I'm really looking forward to hearing more as well - we're on the Constellation next month and I have a feeling you're going to the same ports! Hopen you have a wonderful cruise and thanks for taking the time to do the review

Thank you! We have two ports in Vietnam, two in Philippines and one each in Hong Kong and Malaysia. Long but leisurely cruise IMO lol. Is this your itinerary too?

Continued from yesterday, we had a late lunch at Sushi on Five. We ordered the beef tataki (pictured), ahi tuna (also pictured), shrimp tempura roll without seaweed (I have thyroid problems so have to watch my iodine intake) and some sashimi.

4ef2b5ea9b39a384ce83b155016b510a.jpg

64544cb9b510c830f38c20f89239cd27.jpg

DH also had some sake to go along. The sake was part of the beverage package. Interestingly, we wanted to order the fresh wasabi but were told we would be charged the additional $10 even though our suite includes speciality dining. We opted not to have it in the end. The appetiser and rolls were very good; the sashimi not so fresh. The tuna and the tako (octopus) in particular tasted very off.

Departure was delayed by an hour as a few passengers failed to hand in their passports. The ship was very tactful at first but when that failed, had to resort to naming the specific passengers over the announcement system.

We had our first dinner at Luminae and service was fantastic. The wait staff was attentive, enthusiastic and anticipated our needs (making very useful suggestions with respect to our children's meals etc). Food unfortunately was hit and miss. The duck breast was tough (the table next to ours requested for a second main due to the same issue) and I wasn't sure I wouldn't have enjoyed the MDR prime rib more than the filet mignon. The burrata on the other hand hit all the right spots and desserts were very good.

We went to the main seating show and it was easy on the eye and the ears. Nice feature aerialists and guest band (Fusion) performing familiar favourites. I felt bad that the theatre looked so empty but many people travelled far to reach Singapore and had retired for an early night.

With that, we ended our first night onboard. One down 13 to go!

I hope things pick up for you -- we loved our experience in Luminae in May very much. My DW's first-night duck in Luminae was chewy, but on a later night I had the sliced duck breast and it was tender and delicious. DW ordered off the MDR menu several times when the Luminae items didn't appeal. I'm more catholic in my taste and always found something of interest on the Luminae menu. One night our waiter suggested that we could have Filet Mignon with 24 hours notice -- we did, they did, and it was great. Luminae really aims to please!

So glad that Ocean Liners is still on the ship [will probably be replaced with an Olive Garden -- I mean Tuscan Grille -- on the next drydock :eek:] I love their Chateaubriand [they will make it for one if your DH wants something different] and Grand Marnier soufflé. The Chef's Table was also terrific.

Thank you! We have two ports in Vietnam, two in Philippines and one each in Hong Kong and Malaysia. Long but leisurely cruise IMO lol. Is this your itinerary too?

Yes, that's out itinerary too. We're really looking forward to it and so really enjoying your posts!

Thanks for providing your day-to-day insights. We will be on the Connie in March. Different itinerary... Singapore to Singapore w/ 3 Vietnam & 2 Thailand Stops (overnight in Thailand). Loved the Connie & the food this past Spring. Looking forward to your posts!!

I hope things pick up for you -- we loved our experience in Luminae in May very much...Luminae really aims to please!

So glad that Ocean Liners is still on the ship [will probably be replaced with an Olive Garden -- I mean Tuscan Grille -- on the next drydock :eek:] I love their Chateaubriand [they will make it for one if your DH wants something different] and Grand Marnier soufflé. The Chef's Table was also terrific.

Thanks for the recommendations - will try when we go to Ocean Liners. Am happy that we are able to experience it before the dry dock. Food at Luminae was uniformly good tonight; service remained exemplary.

Yes, that's out itinerary too. We're really looking forward to it and so really enjoying your posts!

We do like this cruise so far and hope you will too!

Thank you for taking the time to post the menus for MDR/Blu & Luminae. You often hear that they're serving different food, but it's really interesting to be able to compare them on the same night.

You're welcome - I don't know how long I can keep it up but will try to!

Happy sailing! Will be following along.

Thank you!

Wishing you happy ️ sailing on your cruise.

Thank you! We are enjoying ourselves!

Thanks for providing your day-to-day insights. We will be on the Connie in March. Different itinerary... Singapore to Singapore w/ 3 Vietnam & 2 Thailand Stops (overnight in Thailand). Loved the Connie & the food this past Spring. Looking forward to your posts!!

Thank you! Preparing the next one now.

Day 2 - Sea Day

We had a sleep-in today and missed breakfast. The in-laws enjoyed themselves at Oceanview and said the spread was lovely. A few of us then joined the free galley tour along with what must be half the ship! The tour was scheduled to start at 10.15am and when we went down with those participating at 10.05, they were handed out Group 12 stickers! They found the tour very informative and interesting.

We spent the rest of the morning registering DD for Fun Factory, exploring the gym/spa and generally just walking around. We purchased a photo package for the other cabin and because we had pre-purchased ours, we got a 50% discount off the second package. I don't know if this is common knowledge but I saw it on the vendor's website.

cc9b53b9e0809715a807926166395d7e.jpg

We also popped into Michael's Club to book our shore excursion for Manila. Megan the concierge is the friendliest person ever - her warmth is infectious. She helped us to book the excursion and also helped us to reissue the keycards of some of our group who have switched rooms.

As I wanted to catch the lecture at 1pm, we had lunch at Oceanview Cafe instead of Luminae. I thought it had a good spread, with separate stations for gluten free pasta and gluten desserts (pictured).

2b4afc30b2453702323a52a96d9eb851.jpg

In honour of Superbowl, this was apparently a themed lunch.

b4b8fe33e6456747c63b0ea52e20d4e2.jpg

I am not American so I am not sure what the relation is but the spread included clam chowder (very salty!), breaded fish and chips and mashed potato. There was even a large cake.

a66dbb12a4c78489137c6c7a720856a2.jpg

I had a hurried lunch as I really wanted to catch the presentation on Ho Chi Minh City by Dr Bill Collins. It was short but very interesting and informative. It was also well attended.

After a short siesta, DH and the kids soaked in our outdoor jacuzzi while I went for a Flat Abs class at the gym. Sure, we know all the exercises and can do them ourselves but nothing beats doing it with others around you. It somehow lends a collective mental strength and really lifts you up LOL. After this, it was time to prepare for dinner.

Oh and we were notified this morning that our very capable and friendly stateroom attendant was being switched out. It turns out that our neighbour is French and does not speak English. So they need a stateroom attendant who can converse with them. Our stateroom attendant is from Mauritius so fits the bill. We have yet to meet our new attendant but he's certainly been around.

Menus for dinner tonight:

Blu

0717587ad1a2209d3f90915d1fe9bf28.jpg

Luminae

fddd03759fb46630c4975d5520582889.jpg

MDR

b41d512f57e4418d256da8a47fea9782.jpg

Dinner tonight was delicious. The crab cake, tuna, chestnut tortellini, black bass and lamb loin all garnered praise. The desserts were all wonderful - it was a pity I'm trying to control my diet at the moment! Pictured are the crab cake, the lamb and the chocolate tart.

4c1f657f9ab6d71af7776730927cba70.jpg2a43d74fff70746c2503b942cc58708e.jpg9b061e489053c49799323eb87a11d751.jpg

The wonderful staff kept encouraging us to try more dishes but we were truly stuffed to the brim. I love the ambience and vibe of the restaurant. It exudes a genuine service enthusiasm that just makes you happy to be there.

We went to the photo gallery after dinner and had fun doing some portraits before popping into Michael's Club for evening drinks (for those who drink) and to meet the senior officers. We had our photos taken with the captain and spoke at length with the staff captain and head of guest relations and enjoyed ourselves very much. We rounded off the night at the show (kudos to the cast for 50 mins of non-stop performance but we thought the previous night was more polished).

We get to Phu My tomorrow, our first port of call.

Day 2 - Sea Day

We also popped into Michael's Club to book our shore excursion for Manila. Megan the concierge is the friendliest person ever - her warmth is infectious.

When you get a chance can you ask Megan if she will still be the MC Concierge on the April re-positioning cruise from Singapore to Rome in April.

Jim

Thanks for the posts and review - we are on Constellation Feb 19 .

I have asked in a separate post about Sushi on 5 - Can you enquire if Sushi on 5 is included in the Dining Packages - we have a 5 night package ? I have read a couple of posts saying it is but with a $30 limit and another that says it was not included but offered as a $30 charge for whatever you would like to order ?I'm thinking it could get out of hand if we just ordered a la carte !$$$

Hope the cruise continues to be fantastic for you all .:D

When you get a chance can you ask Megan if she will still be the MC Concierge on the April re-positioning cruise from Singapore to Rome in April.

Yes she says she will be :)

Thank you so much for the posts from the Connie....

Thanks so much for sharing. Vicki.

Pleasure! We had reservations about the Connie being a smaller ship and having six sea days and all but we are really enjoying ourselves thus far. The lectures have been wonderful and there are always activities going on. I'm starting to wish we had more sea days lol.

Can you enquire if Sushi on 5 is included in the Dining Packages - we have a 5 night package ?

Will ask if the opportunity arises - they haven't been advertising the dining packages aggressively (unlike the USD319 internet package) so I'm not sure where to ask. But will keep a lookout.

Day 3 - Phu My

Our first port day was a stop at Phu My. No it's not Ho Chi Minh city which is more than an hour's bus ride away and I do wish the cruise lines would stop advertising it as such - we heard a few fellow passengers complain at dinner about having spent "too much time" on the buses.

Being frequent visitors to HCM, we opted to take a tour to the Vung Tau/ Ba Ria region run by Australian war veterans. The proceeds all go to the Vung Tau Veterans & Friends Children's Fund, which builds schools and houses and supports orphanages in the local area.

After an initial hiccup due to not being able to locate each other (they were waiting at the gate while we were trying to find them amongst the shore excursion buses and vehicles for hire), we were off. Our guide was a war veteran named Jim and he was accompanied by his wife.

Our first stop was to a Buddhist orphanage which the charity helps fund. Most of the children were back in school except for the youngest. We were impressed by how happy and well looked after the children were. The caregivers are all volunteers doing good deeds and on pilgrimage and the orphanage does not offer the children up for adoption due to their religious belief that doing so would somehow be gaining some sort of financial benefit on the lives of the children.

Provisions (mostly donated) and volunteers who manage them

03d28f751d9596dd829ceac92bc686e5.jpg

Where the children sleep at night by laying out mats

1f1522b371503a3a86d2b4f291588b16.jpg

The youngest kids who don't yet go to school (faces blurred)973380e0245a6878a716a89232c67678.jpg

We then took a drive around to view significant landmarks during the war.

Century-old water tank in Ba Ria where snipers were perched (see the multiple birds' nests that have sprouted!)

63bad956e6caecd498241ddae1b1a462.jpg

Nha tho duc ba - a Catholic Church first confiscated and later returned to the church by the communist government

0b7fd6851a1c9ee8372d261cf32af736.jpg

Small local market with exotic produce

b6b2ad4c5d1958835c1297a58e5fffdb.jpg

TBC (as there is a cap of 6 photos a post)...

We then visited the Long Phuoc tunnels where we entered a section that is open to the public. There is also a small museum which unfortunately was all in Vietnamese. Our guide though was immensely helpful in providing details of the Long Tan war and using the model of the terrain that was in the museum to explain what went on. The tunnels are not as cramped as the ones in South Korea in the DMZ so it was relatively comfortable to go through.

Pictures of tunnels

0e766c982c7f37c00071c3ebe77b2f4c.jpg4d273cb20878a832279eb0255893a0a3.jpg128855625d6bad265abe581e5e172810.jpg

Bunkers - can you spot them?

2e954b6fd15f7e6f1ab78ddcb97c3548.jpgac68a764283da884dc002a415772d168.jpg

Museum exhibit

f59453f561ebba6ffbd3e6cd817a5d39.jpg

Edited by bertrande
Add photos

We then passed Long Tan Cross:

03aa02ac43f7637745d8276a02a4d1b0.jpg

A house that was built by the charity:

0e3f4dce9013eb0114bef5de6abb4b8d.jpg

And finally stopped by the Australian memorial. 18 Australian soldiers died during that short but important battle. Our guide recited the oath to the accompaniment of a brief but stirring piece of music.

501ed6341d2bf1e894a2c19bba2e59e3.jpg

We then headed back to Ba Ria to a restaurant called Saigon OK for lunch. It was simple hearty fare - the seafood fried rice and pork ribs were particularly good.

We then headed back to the ship. You can see her here in the distance, just after we passed entrance gate of the port.

b64ea516a98c709507b51fc1653fc320.jpg

When we returned, I was delighted to find that our butler had left a cheese platter, some shrimp cocktail and a fruit platter in our fridge. It was nicely anticipated and certainly much appreciated.

Menus for the evening follow.

Blu:

2be100309dd88452ea592d35b55ec434.jpg

MDR:

eed0c16dbd866e286d97c47c872932c2.jpg

Luminae:

a9a77be677c6b01653becddb71c9f809.jpg

Snapshot of some of our food. Only MDR dish is the Cherries Jubilee.

9d52e14703f66030e733159bb880c75f.jpg

We skipped the show and opted to have an early night instead. We stopped by Future Cruises and found that the promotion for post-April 2018 cruises is simply one free perk together with some OBC. Not much of a promotion so we decided to think it over.

Another sea day awaited and we were pleased to be able to relax a little.