Casual Attire question

Pinksunset

Hello! Thank you for all the great info on the forum! We are new to Regent (one prior mass market cruise) and will be on big anniversary cruise on Mariner in May. Since early retirement I live in jeans. Does “casual” on Regent include jeans prior to 6:00 p.m.?

Hello! Thank you for all the great info on the forum! We are new to Regent (one prior mass market cruise) and will be on big anniversary cruise on Mariner in May. Since early retirement I live in jeans. Does “casual” on Regent include jeans prior to 6:00 p.m.?

And Regent which used to be very formal no longer has any mandatory formal nights! I retired at 48 how about you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jeans and shorts during the day are typical cruise wear on Regent (although in warmer climates, jeans are a bit heavy - both to pack and to wear). As has been mentioned, the dress code doesn't go into effect until 6:00 p.m. I should also say that - even though there are no longer "formal" nights, on cruises over 16 nights there is "formal optional" and many men (in particular) wear suits or sports jackets and slacks. Also, on the nights of the Captain's Reception and Captain's Farewell, people tend to dress up more (not required but it is good to know as some people that didn't realize that people dress up felt a bit under dressed on those nights).

Thank you! Such lovely people on the CC forum! This will be the 7 night May 23 Alaska cruise; I’m relieved to wear the jeans during the day, which as you mentioned Travelcat2 are rather bulky to pack, but the warmer clothes are required for that climate. And DH can get by with a sport jacket in evening , although that doesn’t sound at all necessary (but he is a suit guy transitioning to a more casual life.) We are in 50’s and 60’s; sounds like we will be younger than other guests, but that is fine!

My DH gave up on suits and sport coats the day he retired 15 years ago. No mater the length of our cruises on Regent, he wears shirts and slacks even on formal nights. On other nights he may wear collared polo shirts. He never feels underdressed.

No one has to very commented regarding his attire.

I am not a "gown" or very formal dress person either. We are both very comfortable in our choice of attire.

Wear what makes you happy!

Thanks, Bellaggio Cruisers! Relieved to know DH can wear the dress shirts or polo shirts, and I can wear dress slacks, a skirt or dress in p.m. Getting used to living a more casual life! It is so nice to be more relaxed now and to have a lovely trip to Alaska to anticipate!

Just about everyone will have blue jeans on during the day. We have gone twice in August and this was our uniform. At night I wore dress pants and sweater or nice top. It is easy. The hard part is preparing for rain. Hard in packing. We found a pair of rain pants that can be zipped over blue jeans very useful and easy to pack.

Previously I was a bit concerned we wouldn’t “fit in”. I know it will be fine now with such lovely people and that I can relax and wear the jeans & sweaters. Before 6!

I've seen all kinds of folk on Regent - and pretty much all of them 'fit in'. It's all in your attitude - the dress code is casual, the crew is friendly, and I'd say 98-99% of the passengers are some of the nicest, most interesting people you could hope to meet.

I noticed that you're in Western NC - I ride up in that area a lot (I'm from Upstate SC) and we had a nice lady from Brevard on a cruise earlier this year - she seemed to have a great time, too.

We don't have a cruise booked for '18 yet, not sure if we can get away before our crossing in Jan of '19. Going 17 months without a cruise is gonna be tough...

Doing a Caribean cruise on the Mariner is Dec. Are capri's for women acceptable for the dining room and evening attire

I think this has been discussed before, but being a guy I can't give you a definitive answer...but as I recall, I think the answer was yes, capris are acceptable when worn with the proper shoes and tops. It's not specifically addressed in the dress code section on the Regent website.

I'll see if I can find the previous discussion on this...

We have recently retired from NY to Western North Carolina. Getting used to the slower paced, more casual lifestyle and enjoying life in the beautiful mountains. UUNetBill, sounds like we may grow accustomed to cruising, as you are! Our 10th Anniversary Cruise was on a huge mass market cruise, so we are looking forward to celebrating the 20th in proper style! I know attitude is a big factor in having a wonderful time anywhere. :)

We are doing our first Regents cruise next year, Honolulu to Sydney. It's 3 back to back, two 15 nights and one 14 night. As I understand it, Regents formal night is only on cruises of 16 nights or longer. Is that correct? Also, I assume they only look at each segment, so our cruise would not have a formal night?

Thanks

We are doing our first Regents cruise next year, Honolulu to Sydney. It's 3 back to back, two 15 nights and one 14 night. As I understand it, Regents formal night is only on cruises of 16 nights or longer. Is that correct? Also, I assume they only look at each segment, so our cruise would not have a formal night?

Thanks

My understanding is the same as yours. Regent looks at each segment so there more than likely will not be a formal optional night.

Previously I was a bit concerned we wouldn’t “fit in”. I know it will be fine now with such lovely people and that I can relax and wear the jeans & sweaters. Before 6!

Don't be concerned at all, if someone does think you don't "fit in" - it's someone you don't need to know! Simple, just enjoy your cruise and forget get about the snob's........:) Rick

Thanks, Bellaggio Cruisers! Relieved to know DH can wear the dress shirts or polo shirts, and I can wear dress slacks, a skirt or dress in p.m. Getting used to living a more casual life! It is so nice to be more relaxed now and to have a lovely trip to Alaska to anticipate!

Relax and Enjoy!! You've earned it.

Also, we have cruised many lines and the reason we are Regent groupies is because of the warm relationships we always find there. Almost all the folks are friendly. We usually make good friends and meet them again on future cruises. Its really a different world of cruising.

Don't be concerned at all, if someone does think you don't "fit in" - it's someone you don't need to know! Simple, just enjoy your cruise and forget get about the snob's........:) Rick

While I usually wear 'resort casual' wear, I've been known to don baggy shorts and a Harley Davidson t-shirt during the day, much to my wife's chagrin. And you know what? I've met some of the most fun people on my 'dress-down' days.

Our first few cruises, we started packing about 2 weeks in advance. Our last two cruises in April and August of this year, my wife and I literally packed in about 30-40 minutes the day we left for the airport. You get it worked out pretty quickly. My mother, who came with us on our April cruise, was laying clothes out 2 weeks in advance. She kept calling and asking what I had packed and I told her, "I'll let you know when I finally pack." I think we drove each other nuts before that cruise! :D

UUNetBill you sound like you’d make any cruise fun! My DH’s occasional Kiss t-shirt might be okay, but I’m not thrilled with it. Good to know a Regent Cruise can have a bit of a casual vibe during the day! I won’t start packing yet...

Just finished packing for our 15-night Navigator cruise. And we are just taking carry-ons! Had to make sure there was room for my husband's much-loved "Pain is weakness leaving the body" Marine Corps t-shirt. :D:D:D

I hope you will enjoy Regent as much as we do. Fun and friendly folks!

Pinksunset, while you'll be perfectly fine in jeans during the day you may want to consider some hiking type/tech pants as an alternative. Having been to Alaska that time of year it can be cool and damp, rainy and depending on your excursions (boats, glaciers) you can get wet. Nothing worse than wet jeans that won't dry:(

They're lightweight to pack, easily washable and many at least repel water.

Pinksunset, well, it took some effort, but I packed "neutrals" and mix/match. For evening, I have a pair of dressy lightweight pants and am taking 4 dressy tops. I doubt that anyone will say, "Good Lord, she wore that 3 nights ago!" (And if they do, frankly I don't care!:D) I'm also going on the assumption that there will probably be a few pool deck barbeques for dinner, and I'll wear capris and a less dressy top on those nights. And really, unless I dump a dinner plate in my lap, clothes can be worn more than once before visiting the laundry. Will mix up the jewelry too.

Shoes: one pair of heels, flip flops during the day, and a semi dressy pair of sandals. My husband will wear his dress loafers on the plane and pack sneakers and sandals. He has also decided to not take a sport coat, which frees up a considerable amount of space.

I agree with Looncall re the water repellent clothing for Alaska. Keep your feet dry, too! Waterproof your shoes.

I know there's no way I could just take carry ons for an Alaska trip. But for the Caribbean, I think we'll be ok. I used to obsess over clothing, and because of it, overpacked all the time. Now I worry less about it and focus on the experience and meeting new people and seeing new places,

Happy cruising, all!