On Constellation

amber1002

nearly at the end of 12 night cruise around Thailand and Vietnam. Ship has docked miles from destinations so be warned if you are thinking about this itinerary in the future.

Constellation is now showing its age especially the cabins. Also the standard of food is very poor and main dining room entrees are lukewarm at best.

Have sailed celebrity cruises for almost 20 years and standards have fallen so much that this will be last cruise on this line.

Celebrity needs to stop cutting corners if they want to keep their loyal customers

I’m sorry your cruise isn’t meeting your expectations.

We will be boarding the Connie as you depart. Prior to booking I did some research so I knew when I booked that in some ports we will be docked quite a way out. The smaller ships (also more expensive) of 1000 or fewer passengers can often get much closer than ships the size of Celebrity’s . While we would love to be docked close in the small ships are out of our budget.

I hope in spite of your disappointment you have some good memories of of trip.

nearly at the end of 12 night cruise around Thailand and Vietnam. Ship has docked miles from destinations so be warned if you are thinking about this itinerary in the future.

Constellation is now showing its age especially the cabins. Also the standard of food is very poor and main dining room entrees are lukewarm at best.

Have sailed celebrity cruises for almost 20 years and standards have fallen so much that this will be last cruise on this line.

Celebrity needs to stop cutting corners if they want to keep their loyal customers

We agree with you completely. Done with Celebrity as the standards have dropped like a rock. Too bad.

Done with Celebrity since 2015.

Now with Oceania - their product offering is what Celebrity was 10 years ago.

Think of it - staff delivering fruit sorbets by the pool, spectacular high tea at 4 every day with seafood tea sandwiches and real devon cream, multiple outstanding food venues included in the fare, european room cleaning like a little white towel beside your bed at night with your slippers on it so when you undress your feet do not touch the carpet, when in port, local business people set up a table and provide all sorts of information right in the lobby, service like when I was done with a dish it was gone within 30 seconds, every single time, staff who carry your food to your table in the buffet area on pool deck, all food made on the ship, everything from scratch and the cruise line publishes that their flour and butters are commissioned from france and most of the cheese as well, in the buffet area every day were mini chocolate waffle cones with ganache in the bottom with fresh raspberries above and a fruit/chocolate topping, OMG, OMG. The pain au chocolate is pastry, pastry - not the bread format on Celebrity.

Further, the ship concept is like a country club - everyone eats with everyone else - no ship in a ship and no suite class with private eating areas - not done on Oceania, nor Azamara nor Viking.

There is no shilling for sales, no art sales, no ship staff being used to make sales, no harassing to buy anything.

Yes, there is a inside forward viewing area and an outside forward viewing area - so everyone can visit with the sea (not like the Edge).

Entertainment is more subdued and refined, eating, wine and the sea is the entertainment on Oceania.

Guest lecturers are excellent - like from Harvard etc, similar in quality to the lecturers at Cunard.

No wonder on my Sept Baltic sailing on Marina, almost a third of the people I interacted with were former Celebrity, Princess and HAL - all new to Oceania.

Yes, it does cost more than a veranda on the mass lines and can be equivalent to a suite on Celebrity - a simply outstanding product from Oceania. There does not seem to be near as much posting on CC about downgrading at the premium lines because they are not using gimmicks to distract guests nor competing on price - they compete on product.

Have a go and see if Oceania, Azamara and Viking could provide you with a cruise experience to meet your needs.

Glad I moved along to try other premium lines - I am very satisfied.

Done with Celebrity since 2015.

Now with Oceania - their product offering is what Celebrity was 10 years ago.

Think of it - staff delivering fruit sorbets by the pool, spectacular high tea at 4 every day with seafood tea sandwiches and real devon cream, multiple outstanding food venues included in the fare, european room cleaning like a little white towel beside your bed at night with your slippers on it so when you undress your feet do not touch the carpet, when in port, local business people set up a table and provide all sorts of information right in the lobby, service like when I was done with a dish it was gone within 30 seconds, every single time, staff who carry your food to your table in the buffet area on pool deck, all food made on the ship, everything from scratch and the cruise line publishes that their flour and butters are commissioned from france and most of the cheese as well, in the buffet area every day were mini chocolate waffle cones with ganache in the bottom with fresh raspberries above and a fruit/chocolate topping, OMG, OMG. The pain au chocolate is pastry, pastry - not the bread format on Celebrity.

Further, the ship concept is like a country club - everyone eats with everyone else - no ship in a ship and no suite class with private eating areas - not done on Oceania, nor Azamara nor Viking.

There is no shilling for sales, no art sales, no ship staff being used to make sales, no harassing to buy anything.

Yes, there is a inside forward viewing area and an outside forward viewing area - so everyone can visit with the sea (not like the Edge).

Entertainment is more subdued and refined, eating, wine and the sea is the entertainment on Oceania.

Guest lecturers are excellent - like from Harvard etc, similar in quality to the lecturers at Cunard.

No wonder on my Sept Baltic sailing on Marina, almost a third of the people I interacted with were former Celebrity, Princess and HAL - all new to Oceania.

Yes, it does cost more than a veranda on the mass lines and can be equivalent to a suite on Celebrity - a simply outstanding product from Oceania. There does not seem to be near as much posting on CC about downgrading at the premium lines because they are not using gimmicks to distract guests nor competing on price - they compete on product.

Have a go and see if Oceania, Azamara and Viking could provide you with a cruise experience to meet your needs.

Glad I moved along to try other premium lines - I am very satisfied.

The problem is that many of us can not afford these cruise lines. We have a decent wage coming in between us and just can not afford the prices for Oceania, Regent, Azamara or Viking. We have to stick to school holidays so can not take advantage of special offers etc etc etc . I am sure that there are plenty of people in our situation. And, at the end of the day, what a sad situation when we have to turn to luxury lines to get a decent standard !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It isn't as if the cost of a standard cruise is low ------ we have been quoted £8000 for an Aqua class cabin for a 14 night cruise to the Med on the Silhouette. 3 /4 years ago it was more like £5000. What's that price increase about ?!

Sorry, rant over - just can not believe the present prices

As I do agree that there have been many cuts over the years, and price increases, I still think Celebrity does an excellent job across the board without the cost of the premium cruise lines.

We were on the Constellation this past summer in the Med, and the ship, food, service and ports were great. I have 2 more cruises coming up on the Connie, so I hope that things haven't changed that much since our last sailing.

I sure do hope you were still able to enjoy your vacation!! ;0)

We agree with you completely. Done with Celebrity as the standards have dropped like a rock. Too bad.

I am a fellow cruiser from the past .Remember the constellation from Istanbul ? our dinner with the Turkish guy from the port?LOL you were so kind and a good sport.

I and my friend will be doing the Viking Sea. think this will be my new cruise line.

So good to see your post. What line are you cruising on these days?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I do agree that there have been many cuts over the years, and price increases, I still think Celebrity does an excellent job across the board without the cost of the premium cruise lines.

We were on the Constellation this past summer in the Med, and the ship, food, service and ports were great. I have 2 more cruises coming up on the Connie, so I hope that things haven't changed that much since our last sailing.

I sure do hope you were still able to enjoy your vacation!! ;0)

We are booked on Connie in August after spending 3 yrs on the Silhouette. We know that she is older but are still expecting a good standard ................

I am a fellow cruiser from the past .Remember the constellation from Istanbul ? our dinner with the Turkish guy from the port?LOL you were so kind and a good sport.

I and my friend will be doing the Viking Sea. think this will be my new cruise line.

So good to see your post. What line are you cruising on these days?

OMG yes!!!!!! How are you??? Thrilled to connect again. We were just on Solstice but I have been looking at Viking as I think that is where we are heading too! What itinerary and when??

we have been quoted £8000 for an Aqua class cabin for a 14 night cruise to the Med on the Silhouette. 3 /4 years ago it was more like £5000. What's that price increase about ?!

Sorry, rant over - just can not believe the present prices

Well some of that increase is due to the pound being worth a lot less than 3/4 years ago. I was looking at a 12 day Med on the Eclipse for next Sept and the prices were not too bad. Almost identical to what I paid 3 years ago for a similar Med cruise ($2800 for a 1A)

OMG yes!!!!!! How are you??? Thrilled to connect again. We were just on Solstice but I have been looking at Viking as I think that is where we are heading too! What itinerary and when??

Louise and I are doing the Transatlantic, West Indies to Iberia on Viking Sea,leaving from San Juan on March 27 . Come join us! Two days in San Juan before the cruise and two days in Barcelona after cruise. Six sea day and some great ports in Europe too.

cheers! Patti

We just got off the Arabian Sea cruise departing Jan 2, 2018 on the Constellation, and this was our first time on the "Connie". Overall we thought the ship was very good. Size wise, I would call it a mid-size ship, and felt it was not too big or small. Sure it is older, so doesn't have that "Wow" factor like newer larger ships have (with large open atrium's), but it still has plenty of lounges and bars to have a drink and catch up with new friends. It was kept clean (especially after the 2 days in Mumbai where a fine layer of soot was on all outside services due to the thick air pollution...), and our staterooms were especially clean. We were Concierge Class on deck 9, and our room looks to have been refurbished recently, as it looked brand new.

We found the quality of food and service to be great, and slightly better than our trip in 2016 on the Solstice. We found 99% of the service staff excellent to deal with (there is always the odd person who is not suited to customer facing roles, and you hope the cruiseline identifies and addresses that...), and could only say positive things about them. If you treat people with respect and are warm and friendly, they typically respond with the same. We had great dining experiences in all restaurants, both specialty, and the MDR. I don't think we had a complaint for any meal in these, other than ordering the wrong dish. If you did, the waiter would just ask what else you would like and brought that out quickly. The Oceanview cafe was good for breakfast and lunch, with a reasonable variety. We mixed breakfast between the MDR and Oceanview, and found both to be good. With the amount of food you can consume on a ship, lunch was usually a light affair, with a salad or fruit, and both were fresh and plentiful in the Oceanview. we only had dinner once in the Oceanview, and this was disappointing. It was not busy at all, and the offerings reflected that. You need to pick your nights and go on a theme night, where the variety is better.

Only downside, and this constantly gets raised, is the Sun Lounge debacle. Celebrity either provide lounges for nearly everyone (and there is a lot of space on deck 3 for more lounges), or they really enforce the rules of not reserving lounges. I usually get up early to do walking laps of the upper pool deck, and I saw people putting towels and books on sun lounges at 6am. That has to stop!

Overall, our whole family enjoyed the cruise (8 of us across 3 generations), and really liked the Constellation. We have already booked for Jan 2019 on her, out of Singapore to Shanghai. Booking while on-board does mean you get offered a few more extras, and this makes the value for the price a lot better.

Louise and I are doing the Transatlantic, West Indies to Iberia on Viking Sea,leaving from San Juan on March 27 . Come join us! Two days in San Juan before the cruise and two days in Barcelona after cruise. Six sea day and some great ports in Europe too.

cheers! Patti

Would love to, but can’t do so soon. Keep me informed of your future plans - we are having a hard time finding an itinerary that really interests us right now but I’m sure one will pop up. Have a great time!!!!!

We, too, just got off and are sitting at the airport.

We got a JS for pretty cheap a year ago and it included all 4 perks. So...generally hard to complain. However, as I mentioned in another thread, Luminae was not so good compared to a year or two ago. I really believe that it is corporate costcutting. More like the quality of the MDR. Indeed, we ate the last three nights up in the very quiet and, oddly, quite good Oceanview.

Having said that, Michael's was a joy. Friendly, quiet, great service.

Trouble is that a suite is about three times the money of a balcony. Without a good Luminae experience, it is hard to justify the cost of a suite for just Michael's.

The cruise itself was very good. We did dock some distance from places and wind kept us from one stop, but Singapore, Thailand, and, particularly seeing all the motorbikes in Saigon was great.

We also enjoy the relaxed atmosphere on these boats compared to Royal, for example. Good bars, bar music, and theater acts all make for a very pleasant and restful time.

The staff also set a nice mellow tone without upselling all day.

We will be back on Connie but probably in a balcony.

Just off the Constellation, disembarking very efficient. We had no complaints about the staff who were very pleasant and hardworking. As I said, the standard overall in the food department is so bad it does not justify celebrity thinking it is a 5 star ship. Have been on Oceania twice and will be using them again in the future. They are not that much more in cost than celebrity when booking in the uk and are a different class. It really is a shame and someone high up in the ranks needs to take note. I suppose while people are still willing to pay their prices and not complain they will carry on cutting the standard of food and start charging for things that are free now. Perhaps if they start charging for sunloungers there would be less

Chair hogging on sea days! You can have that idea from me Celebrity at no charge to you!

Such a pity that you have such amazing staff Celebrity but your product does not match their high standard

After a good start at Christmas on Constellation in the Main Dining Room I’m afraid it went downhill and we too had luke warm food served at times which had to be sent back. I’m afraid I am left with a similar feeling that modern luxury it ain’t. Service around the ship was patchy. Either very good or not good at all. It’s a training issue and a crew morale one. I don’t think creating all these "classes" on the ship helps either.

I’m hoping for better on Solstice in April, but recent Celebrity experiences and I’m close to calling it a day with them. Such a shame.

Phil

Been on Constellation twice last year... and one cruise was a fantastic Southeast Asia cruise. We knew the ports were far out and booked private excursions - got picked up and dropped off right at the ship. I wonder how the location of a port can come as surprise :confused:

Both times we had no complaints about food or service. Yes, M class ships are not new and they are no modern S class boats - however, they have a certain charming character.

Felt the same on an unforgettable Japan cruise on Millennium in October and I am looking forward to cruising on Millennium again in 5 weeks - despite many people’s sentiment that Millennium is Celebrity‘s worst ship.

I often read people’s thoughts on „cut backs“ such as missing afternoon teas, brunches, midnight buffets etc. and I wonder if they ever thought about times and preferences changing?! We are in our mid 40s and we could not care less about the things mentioned above. On the contrary: I am happy about all the he left overs not going to waste. If we wanted to we could eat 24/7 on the ship. Why would we need more?!

Edited by Miaminice

Been on Constellation twice last year... and one cruise was a fantastic Southeast Asia cruise. We knew the ports were far out and booked private excursions - got picked up and dropped off right at the ship. I wonder how the location of a port can come as surprise :confused:

Both times we had no complaints about food or service. Yes, M class ships are not new and they are no modern S class boats - however, they have a certain charming character.

Felt the same on an unforgettable Japan cruise on Millennium in October and I am looking forward to cruising on Millennium again in 5 weeks - despite many people’s sentiment that Millennium is Celebrity‘s worst ship.

I often read people’s thoughts on „cut backs“ such as missing afternoon teas, brunches, midnight buffets etc. and I wonder if they ever thought about times and preferences changing?! We are in our mid 40s and we could not care less about the things mentioned above. On the contrary: I am happy about all the he left overs not going to waste. If we wanted to we could eat 24/7 on the ship. Why would we need more?!

It’s not quantity that is the issue, it is quality. We don’t want to eat 24/7, but would like lunch and dinner to at least be edible. I think you are missing the point. As I have mentioned previously I have been sailing celebrity for about 20 years so I feel I am able to say it has gone downhill!

Just make the most of it. I hope you have as much enjoyment as we did. We are already counting the days when we get back on the "Connie".

What extra perks did you get for onboard booking...new to X. Our first cruise with this line (25+ with RCI) will be May 28th on Eclipse and now considering the Connie for Singapore-Shanghai Jan 2019...so perhaps should wait to book onboard.

It’s not quantity that is the issue, it is quality. We don’t want to eat 24/7, but would like lunch and dinner to at least be edible. I think you are missing the point. As I have mentioned previously I have been sailing celebrity for about 20 years so I feel I am able to say it has gone downhill!

And as I mentioned I have not had an issue with the food on Constellation twice within a year and not on any other ship. I am not missing the point, I just don’t feel the same way.

I might not be cruising for 20 years (oh wait, my first cruise was 1989 :o), however, I do understand that things and preferences change. Believe me, I am not happy about all the changes as well - cruising or other areas. I am just very hesitant to call things going „downhill“ just because I cannot or do not want to keep up with changes. It is a matter of perspective - some call it going downhill, others call it progress (good or bad).

If I feel like it is time to move on to more traditional lines I will do so. I just don’t think I will feel the need to let the world know...

Overall, our whole family enjoyed the cruise (8 of us across 3 generations), and really liked the Constellation. We have already booked for Jan 2019 on her, out of Singapore to Shanghai.

Fantastic news! We are recently off Infinity and now booked on Connie, cruise after yours, feb 3 to Singapore. Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a good start at Christmas on Constellation in the Main Dining Room I’m afraid it went downhill and we too had luke warm food served at times which had to be sent back. I’m afraid I am left with a similar feeling that modern luxury it ain’t. Service around the ship was patchy. Either very good or not good at all. It’s a training issue and a crew morale one. I don’t think creating all these "classes" on the ship helps either.

I’m hoping for better on Solstice in April, but recent Celebrity experiences and I’m close to calling it a day with them. Such a shame.

Phil

Yep, we too are done with Celebrity, to sail and be unable to have a sun lounger whilst others are reserving several, is not the sort of experience we are paying for.

Jen