Some Clues Online Regarding Wind Surf 2019

LTC Dan

I was pleased to see that some of the Summer and Fall 2019 Wind Surf itineraries are listed on the website now. My big question is this: Where in the world will our flagship be after March 30th for nearly 3 months? If anyone is hearing any insider tips from staff while onboard, clue us in!

We know this for sure -- last Caribbean sailing is a 7-night trip on 3/23/2019 from St. Maarten. We also know there happens to be a 7-night Mediterranean cruise from Rome to Barcelona on 6/22/2019. An intriguing twelve-week gap in between, to be sure.

Part of that gap, obviously, is a 2-week transatlantic journey. And maybe there could be a dry dock thrown in. But still, I can't help but wonder what will happen for the remaining time in the late Spring/early Summer.

Here's some idle guessing, nothing more than wishful thinking at this point -- some British Isles and Scandinavia sailings??? I WOULD LOVE THAT!

Also, for those who love extra-long cruise packages, get this -- Wind Surf has a 51-night "Star Collector: Grand Mediterranean" offering on the Wind Surf, commencing July 7th in Lisbon and ending on August 27th in Barcelona. Wow!

Of course, surely they'll break up that massive cruse feast into bite-sized appetizers for those of us who can't splurge on a $19,999 package.

Another, lesser mystery -- what will Wind Surf do for the rest of the Fall? Two of the Rome-Barcelona and Barcelona-Rome options have been released, but that's all.

Don't you guys love speculating and dreaming?

Great piece, but seriously I want to know! I am hoping they will have the Rome to Malta and return, I can not go this year and that is my top pick. Fingers crossed. My husband would love the 51 nighter! Happy Sailing.

I was pleased to see that some of the Summer and Fall 2019 Wind Surf itineraries are listed on the website now. My big question is this: Where in the world will our flagship be after March 30th for nearly 3 months? If anyone is hearing any insider tips from staff while onboard, clue us in!

We know this for sure -- last Caribbean sailing is a 7-night trip on 3/23/2019 from St. Maarten. We also know there happens to be a 7-night Mediterranean cruise from Rome to Barcelona on 6/22/2019. An intriguing twelve-week gap in between, to be sure.

Part of that gap, obviously, is a 2-week transatlantic journey. And maybe there could be a dry dock thrown in. But still, I can't help but wonder what will happen for the remaining time in the late Spring/early Summer.

Here's some idle guessing, nothing more than wishful thinking at this point -- some British Isles and Scandinavia sailings??? I WOULD LOVE THAT!

Also, for those who love extra-long cruise packages, get this -- Wind Surf has a 51-night "Star Collector: Grand Mediterranean" offering on the Wind Surf, commencing July 7th in Lisbon and ending on August 27th in Barcelona. Wow!

Of course, surely they'll break up that massive cruse feast into bite-sized appetizers for those of us who can't splurge on a $19,999 package.

Another, lesser mystery -- what will Wind Surf do for the rest of the Fall? Two of the Rome-Barcelona and Barcelona-Rome options have been released, but that's all.

Don't you guys love speculating and dreaming?

Would love to see Baltic back on schedule. Scandinavian countries, Northern Europe again. Italy. Greece for those who prefer her to the Star. Did Tall Ships in 2015 and then on to Dover, back across Channel to France. Just please no back and forth Med every week!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Let the speculation begin!

Gaps can indicate charters, but 2 months is a long stretch so I don't think that's it.

It could be that they're still working out part of the schedule, and that time would make sense for northern Europe. The Surf has been up there before, we were on the Tall Ships out of Oslo a couple years ago, and she had no issue with port access.

My guess is that she's going into the spa for some work. The lack of a published trans-Atlantic could mean that work will begin while enroute - this isn't all that uncommon, and we know they use drydock in the Caribbean and also in Cadiz, either would make sense.

What's posted is so partial (including that they posted a 51 day star collector but only have component cruises accounting for 17 of the 51 days posted) that it seems like a mistake that they have anything posted at all. Only one 7 day cruise is showing for each of August, Sept and October.

What's posted is so partial (including that they posted a 51 day star collector but only have component cruises accounting for 17 of the 51 days posted) that it seems like a mistake that they have anything posted at all. Only one 7 day cruise is showing for each of August, Sept and October.

The 51 days looks fantastic. Did you notice it includes Greece? Trying to DH into this. LOL!

All of the summer and fall of 2019 posted. Athens-Athens for 10 days. Barcelona- Athens 10 days. Nice!

Maybe it will be updated. Cabins could use some work. It needs new carpeting and bedding. On the last cruise January 2018 Windsurf, our cabin had stained carpeting and a lumpy mattress. We got a foam pad which helped some. It would be nice if they update.

Maybe it will be updated. Cabins could use some work. It needs new carpeting and bedding. On the last cruise January 2018 Windsurf, our cabin had stained carpeting and a lumpy mattress. We got a foam pad which helped some. It would be nice if they update.

Interesting. I just wrote to them about exactly same thing. Carpets in suites need to be replaced along with decorative pillows, sofa, chair and draperies. Our beds were okay and room immaculate. But all of the fabric items have gotten shabby. Not dirty, just shabby.

As most if you know we love WS but I think these prices for the Wind Surf in Europe for the summer of 2019 are very high, too high actually. Ten days 4999 pp a bit crazy. Any opinions or is it me. Happy Sailing.

I agree, it's steep.

They look slightly high but comparing to the 2018 summer Med cruises, a lot of the 7 and 8 day cruises are $3k to $3.2k. Except for some outliers, the 2019 cruises are only a bit higher - maybe an extra $100 or so. There are some exceptions, e.g. Antiquities of the Adriatic & Greece in August seems high for 8 days at $3999. Prices may get adjusted down some. Anyone else notice that there are no brochure prices listed.

The July Greece 19 days 4999 and the Rome Malta and back 9/16 4999 I think that is very high. Last May 8 days Venice to Rome 2699 that is what we paid. I will be watching these prices like a hawk.

I think you meant 10 days rather than 19. The 8 day Greece cruise following that one is also high.

After receiving a brochure last week and perusing the cruises offered I too was taken aback by the pricing offered, at $4000.00 pp for a ten day cruise. We have cruised Windstar for many years and un less they are going “all inclusive” we are out. We looked at their Japan trips and they are very high for what they offered, we looked at including a beverage package, shore excursions and land programs and it was not in the cards for their tired Seabourn fleet. Instead we booked a twelve day Regent cruise with a three day post in Tokyo for 15K.

I believe that Windstar is in a hard place with the aging ships and the up-keep that must be horrendous, their “new found” itineraries are interesting but the prices are not. Alaska, Asia and Northern Europe are way to high per diems to us, compared to what you may get on another line. The Seabourn ship are not for cold weather climates, you have a small lounge up front with no real bar service, and a rear lounge that you can only see what you passed. Granted you can stay in your room or outside but for how long?

It has been our decision with Windstar is to wait (as hard as it is) until the cruise rates go down closer to sailing. Also it is easier for them to have a half off sale if everything is published at a higher lead in rate.

JMHO

We just disembarked Wind Surf, our first cruise on Windstar line, and were slightly surprised at a little bit of nickle and diming that went on.

Like the Martini Demonstration where at the end we were asked to sign a chit for the drink they showed being made, and the Wine and Cheese where at the end of the tables we were again asked for our cabin number and to sign a bill.

And at breakfast when we asked if bloody mary mix or V8 was available as a juice and it was - along with a bill for 2 x Bloody Mary Martinis.

Not what we expected but we had a great cruise. We expected to leave nickle and diming behind us on the mass market lines, although we knew drinks and gratuities were not included like they are on Seabourn.

I applaud Windstars initiative to launch new itineraries but cannot help wondering whether they have got carried away and are over- reaching themselves. Some of the destinations are very specific and not attractive to everyone. We love the Med and are very disappointed with the same old itineraries that have been trotted out for this summer and also summer 2019. Greece has so many lovely small islands - surely the Windstar could call somewhere different for a change. Not only that, but for the next 2 summers running, the yachts will not feature in the Med, having been banished to the frozen north. We were hoping to sail them this summer or next but have zero interest in the colder climes. Keeping fingers crossed for summer 2020.

I applaud Windstars initiative to launch new itineraries but cannot help wondering whether they have got carried away and are over- reaching themselves. Some of the destinations are very specific and not attractive to everyone. We love the Med and are very disappointed with the same old itineraries that have been trotted out for this summer and also summer 2019. Greece has so many lovely small islands - surely the Windstar could call somewhere different for a change. Not only that, but for the next 2 summers running, the yachts will not feature in the Med, having been banished to the frozen north. We were hoping to sail them this summer or next but have zero interest in the colder climes. Keeping fingers crossed for summer 2020.

Completely agree. There are so many different and interesting things they could be doing in the Med.

We like the motor yachts in the summer being in the cooler climates. We did Norway two summers ago on the Star Legend and loved it. This summer we will be on the Star Pride from Iceland to NYC. Our summers here in Texas are brutal, so we enjoy spending some time away from the heat.

We would not book the motor yachts to the Med in the summer. The usable outdoor space is (or at least seems to be) so much less than the sailing ships.

We were on the Windsurf last summer from Barcelona to Lisbon and loved it.

We haven’t taken many of the itineraries in the Mediterranean yet, so we haven’t felt the problem of repetition. The smaller stops are preferable to us too, but since we haven’t done the larger ones yet, would book either new or old itineraries. We would not book them on a motor yacht.