World cruise thoughts?

Little Rascal

We are thinking of taking a world cruise after my hubby retires. Has anyone taken one and any comments on how they liked it? 180 days seems long, but we would see a lot of the world. It looks like you have to book a few years in advance to get a cabin you want.

Hi, we are going on our first World Cruise next year. We are taking it with Crystal, which has a shorter itinerary and large experience on World Cruises. At the moment 180 days would be too long for us. Who knows in the future...

It is in any case a nice project for you after your husbands retirement. I am sure there are some Oceania cruisers who have done the WC with Oceania. I might be able to give you more thoughts on my Crystal cruise next year.

Ivi

several of us have taken the Around the World cruises.

Do a search for ATW and you'll see many threads for 2016, 2017, 2018.

Also look at Insignia roll calls and you'll see threads for the above years as well as 2019 and 2020.

We loved it and are doing it again in 2020 as are several others. Many from 2016 are going on 2019. Yes, it takes preparation but if you can I highly recommend it.

Hi, we are going on our first World Cruise next year. We are taking it with Crystal, which has a shorter itinerary and large experience on World Cruises. At the moment 180 days would be too long for us. Who knows in the future...

It is in any case a nice project for you after your husbands retirement. I am sure there are some Oceania cruisers who have done the WC with Oceania. I might be able to give you more thoughts on my Crystal cruise next year.

Ivi

thank you Ivy. We don’t have to take one with Oceania but their offers seem really good like free medical, beverage package, business air and such.. I have only cruised once on Oceania and loved it. I hear Cryatal is very nice too so I would be interested in getting hem also. 180 days seems long but what a cruise. We have 4 years to plan. Please let me know what you think when you get back. Have you cruised with Crystal before?

thank you Ivy. We don’t have to take one with Oceania but their offers seem really good like free medical, beverage package, business air and such.. I have only cruised once on Oceania and loved it. I hear Cryatal is very nice too so I would be interested in getting hem also. 180 days seems long but what a cruise. We have 4 years to plan. Please let me know what you think when you get back. Have you cruised with Crystal before?

Yes I have cruised with Crystal before. I like like them, and I also like Oceania. My advise will be whatever cruise line you choose, it will be good if you do a couple of cruises with them before. Nowadays many cruise lines are offering the WC.

I will let you know when we return.

Ivi

I think it would be great----but I just can't get over how long your away, your putting so much on hold.

When I leave on the world cruise in January 2019, nothing will be on hold.....my next phase of life will be just beginning since I retire 10 days before the trip!! What a way to celebrate my freedom from the time clock!! :hearteyes:

My wife and I very much enjoyeddoing the Oceania 2016 world cruise. It gave us a chance to knock off a fewbucket list items such as instead of doing a separate 10 day French Polynesiacruise we covered that in the world cruise.

There were about 200 passengersdoing the full voyage. I did not surveyeveryone but only found 1 couple that felt the 180 was a bit too long (they had previouslydone 6 shorter w/c on other lines).

A lot of people I have talked tosay they could not imagine being away for that long but there are 10’s ofthousands of northerners that head to Florida or Arizona for about the same amountof time each winter.

The Oceania w/c have about 50/50split of port versus sea days. Worldcruise that are around 115 days tend to have a much higher sea day ratio inorder to make it all the way around the world.

On the cruise there were no productionshows. This prevented shows beingrepeated on each segment.

Oceania gave us our loyalty pointseffective the start of the cruise which was quite helpful.

When we were getting off the 2017 180-day cruise, I said I’d do another one in a heartbeat ... for the right itinerary. 2020 is that itinerary for us. We booked the first day the cruise opened for booking.

Like Wayne, I did not survey everyone who did the full RTW ... a similar number to that on 2016. But heard directly from two couples who thought it was too long. For them, it was being away from family that was the problem.

Regardless of which length or which cruise line you end up selecting, make sure you do a test cruise or two before the big voyage on that line. Preferably in the same cabin category you think you would book on that cruise line for the RTW.

Obviously none of you has a dog!! Unthinkable

Also I get tired of the specialties after 2 weeks. I don’t think I could stand the food for that long

For those of you who love it, enjoy !!!

I believe in bouncing your last check

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Obviously none of you has a dog!! Unthinkable

Also I get tired of the specialties after 2 weeks. I don’t think I could stand the food for that long

For those of you who love it, enjoy !!!

I believe in bouncing your last check

I have a dog.....he'll be on vacation too. I'm not going to miss doing the trip of a lifetime because I own an animal. ;)

I have a dog.....he'll be on vacation too. I'm not going to miss doing the trip of a lifetime because I own an animal. ;)

We also have a dog, and for us it is not just an animal 😉. It is a member of our family.

We travel a lot and he has a good dog sitter, who he knows since he was a puppy. He is happy with the dog sitter and does not miss us that much. We miss him though...

Ivi

Z

Own a dog? The dogs own us. Family, not property. We travel constantly but I would never leave my babies for 6 months

LOL - While we might like to do a 'round the world someday, with 2 dogs and 2 cats at present, it would be cheaper if they could come along in their own cabin. But Insignia's not the Queen Mary (thankfully) so we will live vicariously through your travels. Enjoy the experience.

Z

Own a dog? The dogs own us. Family, not property. We travel constantly but I would never leave my babies for 6 months

Just 1?? How about 4 dogs, plus 2 cats, 1 Mule, 2 Donkeys, 2 Horses, 5 amazon parrots plus miscellaneous -- goats, geese, ducks. finches, parakeets... Who will mind my DW's babies... :):)

Just 1?? How about 4 dogs, plus 2 cats, 1 Mule, 2 Donkeys, 2 Horses, 5 amazon parrots plus miscellaneous -- goats, geese, ducks. finches, parakeets... Who will mind my DW's babies... :):)

Paul, you and M have a special problem. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also have a dog, and for us it is not just an animal 😉. It is a member of our family.

We travel a lot and he has a good dog sitter, who he knows since he was a puppy. He is happy with the dog sitter and does not miss us that much. We miss him though...

Ivi

My dog has a nice place to stay whenever I'm out of town. I enjoy my dog, but he's a dog....not a human. He'll be fine while I'm gone. I don't plan my life around him. Some of you do and that's fine, but I don't and that's fine too. :D

a world cruise...180 days a half year .... sounds alluring I considered it then I took a series of cruises 14, 28 and 34 day cruises.

Something happened at about day 28 on the 34 day cruise, the experience I had, the joy and excitement the first week The pleasure of fine dining, all seemed to have pretty much have gone... by Day 34 I found the cruise, well just routine and even boring. !!! I cant imagine how I would feel at day 50, 80, 100 130 ??? There can be too much of a good thing. More is not always better.

The longest I was on a ship was back in the 60's, 45 days at sea, it was all inclusive, and the ship was gray and had numbers on the bow, had shared quarters, no specialties or trivia.

The lesson I learned was it is a far, far better and more pleasurable and stimulating to see the world in 21 to 28 day bits

Compare cruising to going to a fine Paris restaurant....it has this huge menu and you would love to try it all, But if you did order some 20 or more courses all at one time youd get sick. If you went to Paris for 7 days and ate every meal at that restaurant it would loose its enjoyment..

SO, my take is to see the world in small bites in 4 or 6 segments over a 2 -3 year period... Thats my take , others may differ but i'd consider pondering it... Take a shorter cruise first and see you reactions by day 28. first

The lesson I learned was it is a far, far better and more pleasurable and stimulating to see the world in 21 to 28 day bits

Unless you don't like flying, especially long flights, but want to see the world! That is why I'd rather sail around than fly around. :D

a world cruise...180 days a half year .... sounds alluring I considered it then I took a series of cruises 14, 28 and 34 day cruises.

I am afraid you are right...even for cruises applies the law of diminishing returns...

Ivi

Unless you don't like flying, especially long flights, but want to see the world! That is why I'd rather sail around than fly around. :D

I'm with you.

Ain't it great that there are cruises of varying lengths that fit all of our varied travel preferences. We enjoy mixing it up with land vacations ... best of both worlds for us.