Radisson Diamond vs. Silver Shadow vs. Wind Surf (11/04)

Joanandjoe

Our cruises so far have been at the upper end of the mass market lines: Celebrity and Holland America. For our vacation this November we’re considering moving up the scale to one of three cruises: Radisson Diamond 5 days from San Juan 11/17; Wind Surf 7 days Nice to Barcelona 11/7; and Silver Shadow 6 days from Barbados 11/8. Obviously these are three very different itineraries; but they all should produce a more intimate and luxurious experience than on our four prior cruises.

We’re posting this on the boards for Radisson, Silversea and Windstar. CC members, you usually have strong views. Which ship is likely to produce the best experience, and for what reasons? Thanks.

[This message was edited by Joanandjoe on 05-07-04 at 10:55 AM.]

We've been on all the lines you mention except Celebrity. Our last HAL was on the Zuiderdam last fall -- a deal too cheap to pass up. By the time we got off the ship we had a pact to bop each other if anyone even suggested such a thing again. They did nothing wrong whatsoever, it was just too, too big for us.

We like Wind Star a lot, though we've never been on the Surf, but on the smaller ships. The cabins are generally smaller, but very nicely done. The ships are absolutely beautiful and the atmosphere is aptly described as 'elegantly casual'. We like the lack of formal nights. Passengers dress well, but there are few jackets, much less suits. No elevators, but only a few decks. Wind Star is not all-inclusive. You still sign a chit for every Coke -- they're part of the HAL group.

SilverSea is genuinely all-inclusive. We recently took a 17-day through the Panama Canal on Silver Whisper, and I honestly can't think of a single thing to complain about. Service, food, atmosphere, ship -- it was all beautifully done without being ostentatious. The 'basic' cabins were the largest I've seen and very well thought out. They have nice touches like bringing around cold face cloths while you're baking in the sun.

We also recently took a short Caribbean trip on the Radisson Diamond. I'd always been curious about the ship -- it's structure is so unique. However once on board, it doesn't seem all that different. The cabins are smaller, and the ship in general is a little 'worn'. The crew, the food, and especially Don Vito's specialty restaurant were all very nice. Radisson is not quite all-inclusive. You don't pay for soft drinks, but you do pay for drinks in the bars or at lunch. Gratuities are included, though.

Hope that's of some use!

It depends on price. I would choose the RSSC Diamond if price was much less, which I don't think is the case. With the 2 for 1 on the Shadow for this sailing, you end up at about $1500+ for a Vista Suite, which btw includes port charges in their fee, you have to add it to the RSSC fare. The cabin is bigger, and all drinks are included. That being the case the Shadow wins hands down. Try for a Vista Suite on deck 5, they have shared balconies.

Don

Carnival Mardi Gras 04/75

NCL Skyward 05/84

NCL Southward 04/91

Carnival Ecstasy 12/93

Crown Princess 12/94

Seabourn Legend 05/96

Enchantment of the Seas 08/01

Celebrity Infinity 10/01

Rhapsody of the Seas 11/02

Splendour of the Seas 4/03

Splendour of the Seas 10/03

Silver Whisper 4/04

Until Our Caribbean Princess Cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Our Infinity Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;4;6;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1100

Until Our RSSC Diamond Cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;7;2;15;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Until Our Silver Whisper Cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;11;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I've been on all three lines. I would suggest Windsurf if you don't want to get dressed in jacket and tie for dinner and you don't mind the cooler weather in November in Europe. If you don't mind getting dressed up, then definitely go on Silversea. The ship is so much nicer than the Diamond (IMHO).

Maybe we're missing something, but the responses on all three boards, plus the Celebrity board, seem to indicate that the Radisson Diamond is a clear third choice out of three. Apparently the small staterooms and unusual nature of the ship make the Diamond less luxurious than the Silver Shadow and no more luxurious (and less interesting) than the Wind Surf. Gray Wolf, Cruising, DMGMD (a doctor?) and others, do you agree? Also, we've heard some negative things about Barbados, especially the cab drivers. Should we avoid the place, even if that knocks the Silver Shadow out of the running?

Gray Wolf, what's a shared balcony? We didn't think the vista suites had balconies.

When we got off the WS in Barbados Feb.'03 we stayed 2 extra days. 6 or 7 cab rides no problems. All drivers were courtious and helpful. If bad taxi experiences dictated travel plans, New York would be a ghost town.

Yes I am a doctor, originally from Englewood, NJ.

I haven't been to Barbabos for several years but when we were there, we thought the people were lovely. I wounldn't hesitate to start or end a cruise there.

The Diamond has her fans, but, I think the other two ships are better choices.

I have not been on the other ships but I was on the Diamond in April and it is a terrific ship. The crew is terrific and the service and food are what you expect from that type of cruise line.

The rooms are smaller than the RSSC Navigator but they were bigger than any mass market cruise line.

I would sail again on the Diamond in a heartbeat. I am thinking about a crossing in 2005.

As for Barbados, we were there in April for 4 days, in between cruises on the Silver Whisper, which covered much of the Leeward Islands. We commented that the people in Barbados, including the cab drivers, were the most friendly we encountered anywhere. The only trouble with the cab drivers is that they tend to make up their own prices. You rarely pay the same price for the same destination twice!

As for the ships, having traveled extensively on all three lines, my choices would be:

1. Silversea. Can't think of anything bad to say about it, unless getting dressed up is a problem. The shared balconies for Vista Suites on deck 5 is actually an open deck with no furniture. Nonetheless, they are poplular with Vista passengers, and tend to go first. We have sailed almost 200 days with Silversea, and it is our favorite.

2. Radisson Diamond. Everything everyone else said is true, and they have terrible public rooms, with the exception of the dining room, which is one of the loveliest I've seen. The cabins are smaller, and the whole ship, which was originally designed to hold conferences and business meetings, doesn't fit well with traditional cruising. Food and service are fine. BTW, we love the other Radisson ships. We are just not fond of this one. Once was enough.

3. Wind Surf. Although we have only traveled on the smaller Wind ships, the accomodations and atmosphere are similar. I find the cabins, while large, to be spartan. The open decks and sails, are, of course, wonderful. The food is not as good on this line as on the other two.

And the Diamond is my favorite ship. However, I have not been on Silverseas, but will be this Dec. Am very anxious to try it out. But I will always be a fan on the Diamond.

I am also trying the RSSC Voyager this summer, so by Christmas time I should have a good idea of what I consider the best. But right now the Diamond is this girl's best firend!

87.jpg

Bye Bye

Archived