Rio to CapeTown on Silver Wind

Dave From Oz

Hi people,

I'm an old timer from the Royal Viking days who has finally come out of the closet as it were and booked on the Wind for the February crossng next year.

I've been encouraged by Steve Bear to think that a single mature male might not feel out of place (or be taken for a gentleman host) but I do admit to some degree of nervousness re the trip. So:

1/ Dining

How do you couples feel about a single male being added to your tables?

2/ Formal Evenings

How many will there be on this voyage (15 days but most of them at sea)?

3/ SilverSeas Exerience

Every review I have read has been about voyages that have been port intensive - how does Silversea handle a voyage like this with

5 & 3 sea day legs. Let me add, this is one of the irresistable attractions of the trip - my fondest memories of life at sea are all about being out of sight of land rather than "which port is it tomorrow". But I am interested in hearing from other voyagers as to how Silversea handle the difference

4/ Ignorance

What should I know as a single cruiser that I haven't picked up from the Silversea site? Any suggestions or "hot tips" would be greatly appreciated.

Regards from "down under"

Dave

We did this trip on Silver Wind a few years ago.

1. One of the main things we enjoy about open dining is that we meet new people. Table sizes (if you want company) are typically six or eight people. Later in the cruise, people sometimes arrange to sit together with people they like. There are plenty of tables for two or four and the staff can make up larger ones (10+). You don't need to book anything in advance - just turn up and ask for the table size you want. One advantage of Silversea for singles is that you don't have to think about whose turn it is to buy the wine. As long as you like meeting people, no problem here, I'd say.

2. I'd expect three formal evenings - probably the second night, one in the middle and the penultimate night.

3. We've done several trips with many days at sea. On our most recent Silversea cruise (ended this month) we thought the daytime programme at sea was a bit thin. They had no onboard lecturers, which is unusual. But we enjoy getting up late (for us), just relaxing with a book, taking two hours over lunch.... More than likely there will be a bridge tutor. There's a fair chance that the ship won't be full on a crossing, which makes for an even more relaxed experience. Depends whether you like that, but don't expect non-stop daytime entertainment.

4. I think I'll leave this to the singles to answer.

Enjoy your trip!

Jeremy

I think that Silversea does an excellent job helping people, who are traveling alone, comfortable. My mother went alone for weeks - and loved it. I met men who were traveling alone - and they didn't want to leave when the cruise was over. There will be many more women alone than men. You will have all the company you wish (or don't wish) to have. Have fun!

My wife and I booked the Cape Town to Port Louis on the Silver Wind,This will be our first time on Silversea.Hope you guys keep us informed when your on you way and during the cruise.

Dave,

We took this cruise in February 2003 and enjoyed it very much. Salvador, Saint Helena and Walvis Bay were all highlights. We would encourage you to take the Sossusvlei desert experience tour in Namibia. There were many solo travellers, all of whom were welcomed by the other passngers. From memory, there were four formal nights and most men do wear dinner suits. We love days at sea and only book cruises with lots of them, so wouldn't be able to comment about the difference between a port-intensive itinerary and this one.

Have a wonderful trip.

Gorm Kirsch

Sydney, Australia

Archived