Question about bringing wine

zteamtwo

We are new to Oceania. Sailing March 26 in Penthouse to Cuba.

1. If we bring a couple of bottles of wine in our luggage--open it in our cabin--and then pour a glass and carry it into one of the dining restaurants--will we still have the $25 corkage fee?

2.. Can we get off the ship in Cuba and just walk around? What area of Havana does the ship dock? Is it a downtown area where there are lots of things to see? What about having a cab driver show us around? Any comments?

You aren't permitted to open it in your room and then bring it to a restaurant. Since it wouldn't be exactly fair to charge you the $25 for a glass or two ... Come to think of it, if you were to bring your open bottle to the restaurant, they'd probably charge you the fee. You could then leave any remaining wine (if there is) for them to hold, or take it back to your room. I'm strictly guessing here, however. It might be to difficult to really figure out what is fair and what is not.

When we have been in one of the suites that provides a liquor set-up, we've been able to take our bottle of wine to the dining room and were NOT charged the fee. The bottle is clearly marked as being provided by Oceania. In such case we usually took the bottle back to our room when we hadn't finished it (which is just about always).

Mura

1. If we bring a couple of bottles of wine in our luggage--open it in our cabin--and then pour a glass and carry it into one of the dining restaurants--will we still have the $25 corkage fee?

2.. Can we get off the ship in Cuba and just walk around? What area of Havana does the ship dock? Is it a downtown area where there are lots of things to see? What about having a cab driver show us around? Any comments?

As for number one: this isn't Carnival. As for bringing wine onboard: no real limit.

Thank you for the answers, BUT----If we were to buy a glass of wine from one of the bars AND then walk into the restaurant carrying the glass---what would they say--any corkage charges for bring a glass of wine into a restaurant? My point is----How would they know if my glass of wine is from a bar OR a glass of wine that I poured in my room?

The wine glasses provided in your cabin are very different from the ones provided in the ship venues. You’d be spotted upon entry.

Oceania has a very reasonable corkage policy. Please don’t try to circumvent it! Bring a fresh bottle to the Restaurant and pay the corkage.

You can bring on as much wine as you wish and then you can do one of the following:

1 Drink it in your cabin at no charge but cannot carry glasses of it into any public space.

2 Bring the bottle to the dining room and pay $25 corkage.

Thank you for the answers, BUT----If we were to buy a glass of wine from one of the bars AND then walk into the restaurant carrying the glass---what would they say--any corkage charges for bring a glass of wine into a restaurant? My point is----How would they know if my glass of wine is from a bar OR a glass of wine that I poured in my room?

They would assume that you are complying with their rules.

People on Oceania are assumed to be responsible adults who do not cheat. If people were to repeatedly abuse Oceania’s generous wine policy it would likely change to what it is on mass lines. I don’t think that is what O cruisers want.

Sorry but trying to beat the system is just a "low rent" move that is atypical for O passengers.

We enjoy a very liberal bring-booze-onboard policy because people just don't do what you are suggesting. $25 corkage on the good $50-$100 retail wines you'd bring with you is still far less than you'd pay for O's better wine selections.

Sorry but trying to beat the system is just a "low rent" move that is atypical for O passengers.

We enjoy a very liberal bring-booze-onboard policy because people just don't do what you are suggesting. $25 corkage on the good $50-$100 retail wines you'd bring with you is still far less than you'd pay for O's better wine selections.

This ^^

And about your additional attempts to ask the same question...

YOU would know, and you would also know the right way to handle it.

I suspect that you already know, which is why you keep rephrasing the question.

Bring the bottle to the restaurant, pay the corkage, and leave whatever is left for the next meal. (There is only one fee for the same bottle. They'll get it for you regardless of which restaurant you are in.)

Keep a different bottle in your cabin for "in your cabin".

You have presumably selected an Oceania cruise because you appreciate some/many of the ways it differs from the mass market lines. Do your part to keep it this way, please.

Thank you.

GC

And about your additional attempts to ask the same question...

YOU would know, and you would also know the right way to handle it.

I suspect that you already know, which is why you keep rephrasing the question.

Bring the bottle to the restaurant, pay the corkage, and leave whatever is left for the next meal. (There is only one fee for the same bottle. They'll get it for you regardless of which restaurant you are in.)

Keep a different bottle in your cabin for "in your cabin".

You have presumably selected an Oceania cruise because you appreciate some/many of the ways it differs from the mass market lines. Do your part to keep it this way, please.

Thank you.

GC

Well said

Everything is in the computer! Oceania regularly monitors these threads. The OP, from GA, has already already identified which cruise he’ll be on, and I’d be surprised if his name isn’t part of his email address. I will know exactly who they are and possibly flag his record.

Then , when he walks up to maitre de, glass in hand, the maitre de when entering their presence will see the flag. She can check if their records indicate them just buying wine in a bar. She’ll know before the Hostess gets them seated! Then the corkage bill will arrive post meal if nothing shows purchased.

It’s all in the computer. Every drink one buys, which venues they eat in, on and on.

Everything is in the computer! Oceania regularly monitors these threads. The OP, from GA, has already already identified which cruise he’ll be on, and I’d be surprised if his name isn’t part of his email address. I will know exactly who they are and possibly flag his record.

Then , when he walks up to maitre de, glass in hand, the maitre de when entering their presence will see the flag. She can check if their records indicate them just buying wine in a bar. She’ll know before the Hostess gets them seated! Then the corkage bill will arrive post meal if nothing shows purchased.

It’s all in the computer. Every drink one buys, which venues they eat in, on and on.

If you're serious you're giving them way too much credit. I don't really think Oceania cares as much about it as people here on the board do.

• Haha 1

OK OK Everybody chill out. I was not trying to disrupt the "prestige nature of an Oceania cruise". I was just wondering what would happen if I were drinking a glass of wine in my cabin and then we went to dinner--what would happen. Now I know--thank you for all of the comments.

I wonder too:D-- rather than carrying an open glass, wouldn't it be easier to bring the (already opened, but re-stoppered) bottle with you to dinner, if you wish to have your particular wine with dinner?

Or if you are trying not to 'waste' wine (and don't care that you drink that particular wine with dinner), you could pour a smaller amount at a time into your glass in the room, so you don't have to bring your glass to dinner at all...

I suppose if it is the glass itself that is a sentimental favorite, just bring it empty to dinner lol;p

They are not the CIA. They not monitoring these boards with that level of scrutiny, if at all.

You will, however, be conspicuous walking around the ship with a glass of wine.

We often wait outside the dining room for friends we wish to eat with and I notice that there are many people in line with a bottle of wine. I have never seen anyone with a full wine glass.

I wonder too:D-- rather than carrying an open glass, wouldn't it be easier to bring the (already opened, but re-stoppered) bottle with you to dinner, if you wish to have your particular wine with dinner?

or maybe they are just trying not to pay for another drink or the corkage fee :rolleyes:

A few years back, a poster was bragging about going to a certain Specialties and palming the maitre de a $20 and getting in whenever he wanted. We were on the ship a couple of months later and the @@@ had hit the fan. Oceania had just tracked back when that individual had eaten in said Restaurant and fired two maitre de that had obviously facilitated the poster . The maitre de at the restaurants wouldn’t talk with passengers about reservations, only direct them to the reservations desk! Story was the poster got 86th from O.

It’s all in the computer and O will do as it feels appropriate.

all I can say is someone is reading here :o

I made a comment on CC about something onboard during our cruise & got a call from the Concierge about it :eek:

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

all I can say is someone is reading here :o

I made a comment on CC about something onboard on our cruise & got a call from the Concierge about it :eek:

YMMV

Was that the concierge on the ship during the cruise or someone in the home office after the cruise?

As did I, last November on Marina.

I had posted to CC regarding the GDR closing for lunch on some ports of call -- something we'd never experienced before. I was called in to meet with the concierge and the Restaurant Manager.

They were pleasant! They were informative. I still disagree with the policy but I'm not running the ship.

On that cruise we had an overnight in Haifa, and it was quite clear with virtually everyone off the ship on tours (whether with the ship or private), it didn't make sense to have the GDR open for lunch. I think the Reception guy told us that all of 35 people were on the ship!

But there were other days where the result was that Terrace and Waves were overwhelmed because most people did return in time for lunch. Perhaps rather than closing the GDR on those days, they might keep it open but alter the hours to perhaps an hour later. I wasn't alert enough to make the suggestion when we met ... Because my complaint was really by the excessive crowds in the venues that were open on those days, I wish I had.

The ship can monitor who will be off the ship if they are on ship's tours ... it's not very feasible for those who are on private tours.

I use my real name here and I had said I was on board, and they had NO trouble finding me!

Did I feel threatened? Not at all. In fact, I was happy to have the opportunity to present my case to the managers.

(I also was on board at the time. I personally doubt that they would pursue you after the fact ... I could be wrong but from Oceania's perspective it's better to talk to someone face-to-face in this kind of situation.)

Mura

Edited by Mura