20 years ago ...

Tahitianbigkahuna

Thanks to Captain Rajko Zupan for the pictures ...

20 years ago she left France, through the Panama Canal to San Francisco, then on to Tahiti where she became and still is the Grande Dame of French Polynesian waters. The Paul Gauguin was specifically built with a shallow draft to maneuver in and out of the lagoons with in French Polynesia.

2-L.jpg

9-L.jpg

10-L.jpg

13-L.jpg

Thanks for sharing the original look of the ship 20 years ago. Interesting to see the sixth deck with the windows versus the current balconies. Obviously, that was a smart move to put in more balconies to increase revenue and to go with modern designs of mostly balcony cabins. Were there other significant changes from the original design? Looks like the bridge is now a little different with an exterior cat walk like extension versus the bulge I see on these pictures. Less obtrusive to the view of the nearby 7th deck cabins, I imagine.

Doug

Thanks for sharing the original look of the ship 20 years ago. Interesting to see the sixth deck with the windows versus the current balconies. Obviously, that was a smart move to put in more balconies to increase revenue and to go with modern designs of mostly balcony cabins. Were there other significant changes from the original design? Looks like the bridge is now a little different with an exterior cat walk like extension versus the bulge I see on these pictures. Less obtrusive to the view of the nearby 7th deck cabins, I imagine.

Doug

I believe deck 7 balcony area in the rear was changed. There are a few on here that were on the ship during the first few years, will be interesting to hear their take.

I believe deck 7 balcony area in the rear was changed. There are a few on here that were on the ship during the first few years, will be interesting to hear their take.

Yes, these cabins were added. La Veranda used to have a spiral staircase upstairs, to a small lounge whose name I've forgotten. They used to have the Seven Seas Society, and other small get togethers there. The balconies on deck 6 were also added later.

I was sad when they converted the lounge into the deck 7 rear balconies. Remember quietly watching the Tahaa circumnavigation from there coffee in hand.

She has become a grand old lady that has a few years left.

• 3 weeks later...