Valor NYE, Short and Sweet Review

kcdancerkc

This was a 5 day sail for NYE and my birthday....1st time not for the ports.

My birthday was spent on the ship except we went to the Carnival shops on the pier at Progresso. This was the first time we did not make plans on a port day.

The same offerings that Cozumel had in the tourism area. We did seek out at Cozumel a silver ring at Sergio’s. We were going to go to Paradise beach but were too hungover from NYE.

Things we enjoyed--Subjective mostly

Comedians one was A+ and other was B+ / the only shows we ever go to...late shows with adult content

Sea day brunch mac and cheese

Bbq pork very moist!

Guys burger x2

The fish and chips for low cost was good at the Seafood place

Alchemy was a great place and I even taught them a drink!

We tipped and they always remembered out names. One bartender was on a count down to go home and he was happy!

Room steward was good, room service was good the one morning we were able to use the balcony. We LOVED the fact that the fridge was not full of stuff anymore! It was so nice to put what we wanted right away instead of in the past, having a fridge stuffed with things we would not buy, and have to stuff them away somewhere.

Since our room was aft, it was so easy to go to the adult pool, alchemy bar, disco, comedians, were all at the back :) Loved the serenity area but it was soooo far away at the front lol.

Most all staff were helpful and nice.

Things that could have been better

The weather lol.... the last day every one had jackets on outside, and barf bags by elevators.

Didn’t ever get weather reports that used to be I think in the fun times. We tried to use the APP but it did not show current info. Maybe the captain used to, or we missed what the weather forecast for the day was, but only 1.5 days of sun.

Much, Much rust on the outside of the ship, kind of an eyesore.

Had a wrap around aft balcony, in which most of the trip was wet or cold. Cabin was big and would be even more amazing if we could have used the balcony more! We still were not in -1 degrees at home!

FTTF we got to our cabin quick, but luggage didn’t until 4 pm. Not sure if this was late or normal for FTTF

NYE WAS great on the deck but only if you had been to the MDR would we have gotten party favors, which made no sense.

Balloon drop was in the atrium at 11 pm, soooo very crowded .

I had expected a glow party, but it didn't happen or we missed it!

Nor here or there

MANY Texans and many kids and teachers on this trip.

We did enjoy some TV time, which is now cut by several stations after our cruise.

I guess we had one of the last cruises also with no 10-6 "free" room service cut hours.

We usually do the buffet because it is quicker on 5 days or less at sea. Were very disappointed there was scaled back food options. We didn't starve though. Our last Carnival ship was early 2012. Our last for a while on Carnival with be the Magic 2019.

We did the last night on the steakhouse. Everything was very much smaller proportions, but we did get full.

When we got back to Galveston we had family pick us up and compared to Kansas City, it was good to stay there in Houston till it got warmer here!

All in all it was the most laid back cruise we have ever done. We have covered so many ports, in the Caribbean we are running out! First world problems. Time to save up big bucks to go less often but go further.

100 days till Bermuda on NCL which should be great. Although it is about time to switch it up to an AI with friends because none will cruise!

:cool:

Forgot to add the room steward asked us to fill out

Morning, evening, or both for servicing the cabin.

We had both and he never asked if we were sure, or acted like an inconvenience like reported on many threads here.

Also on the menu he gave us to fill out were things like extra pillows, robes etc.

The absolutely worst thing in this cabin was the bed....even after asking for a foam pad, the bed was soooo soft it hurt my back for days after. The two twins pushed together never wanted to stay together :eek:

Cabin 6483.

Hubby said in his own review that after the mattress topper was on, that it was fixed, yes it didn’t slide apart but still too soft for my back.

One of the comedians asked who is from Texas and I think 80% yelled out lol. We have family in texas but they are transplants from Missouri lol, so it was just something I didn’t think of when sailing from Galveston. If we had a port here

That is what I would do!:cool:

Forgot to add the room steward asked us to fill out

Morning, evening, or both for servicing the cabin.

We had both and he never asked if we were sure, or acted like an inconvenience like reported on many threads here.

That was my experience, too. Our room steward actually encouraged us to choose both, "because all of you women will need lots of towels probably". :D

Yes crab cakes....don’t remember about the beef.

I need twice a day, not for towels but for ice!

I usually shower in the big shoers in the gym/spa

But not this time because it was sooo far away:cool:

Thank you for all the info. We sail in 20 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums