2 nights pre-cruise. 1 night in Santiago and 1 in Valparaiso?

canuckgardener

Hi. I apologize if I'm repeating myself on this board. We are embarking in San Antonio and disembarking in BA. There is a lot of discussion from others who stay in Santiago pre-cruise. I'm curious as to why do they don't stay in Valparaiso pre-cruise? Coming from Canada do we fly into Santiago and stay there for 2 nights or Santiago 1 night and go to Valparaiso for the night before the cruise, or Valparaiso 2 nights? As its the dead of winter when we leave Canada we will give ourselves 2 days in case of weather delays. Thank you for any and all advice.

• 2 weeks later...

We debated this ourselves and eventually decided to stay that 2 nights in Santiago. As it turned out, our cruise was one of those shifted from Valparaiso to San Antonio so I was glad we had not decided to go to Valparaiso! Santiago is approximately equi distant from both ports, was a lovely place to visit and easy to organise a couple of day tours from. Getting from Valparaiso to San Antonio might not have been quite so easy?

The first day, we went out with Leo from Private Guides Chile , and the second day his company organised our transfer to San Antonio which also took in a wine tasting.

In Santiago, we stayed at the Quiral - very nice indeed.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are embarking in San Antonio and disembarking in BA. There is a lot of discussion from others who stay in Santiago pre-cruise. I'm curious as to why do they don't stay in Valparaiso pre-cruise? Coming from Canada do we fly into Santiago and stay there for 2 nights or Santiago 1 night and go to Valparaiso for the night before the cruise, or Valparaiso 2 nights?

One more pointer .. if you are embarking in San Antonio, I would not go to Valparaiso at all. There is lots to see in Santiago and you can go from there easily to SA.

One more pointer .. if you are embarking in San Antonio, I would not go to Valparaiso at all. There is lots to see in Santiago and you can go from there easily to SA.

Give me the other side of this debate 100%.

Valparaiso is an amazing town.

Nothing wrong with Santiago (aside from the smog) but Valparaiso as a destination is world-class. Worth a week, never mind a day.

Nothing wrong with Santiago (aside from the smog) but Valparaiso as a destination is world-class. Worth a week, never mind a day.

I wouldn’t disagree :-) . It was more just the time they might have available? And ease of transport to SA from V on the day of the cruise .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this...Valpo is amazing. Been there a few times and disappointed now that ships are not calling there because of the industrial/port situation.

If anyone has the chance they should go and have a look at it and ride the lifts up and down the hills. The street art is fabulous and the boutique hotels clinging to the cliffs fantastic, can't praise the place highly enough.

If anyone is interested I wrote a blog about it here...

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/south-american-phoenix-valparaiso-chile_3288.html

We enjoyed Valpo very much. We spent two days there, two days in Santiago, and three days on our own in a rental car.

Valproate was a highlight for us. It is very unique. You need to walk this city to appreciate it. Santiago was nice but really for us it was just another big city. Not to say we did not enjoy Santiago but Valpo was a highlight for us.

There is a large bus depot in Valpo. Chie has inexpensive buses going everywhere. Last year we paid about $5 for the 90 minute bus ride from Valpo to Santiago. I suspect that if you do some googling you will find a bus schedule for Valpo to San Antonio.

Hi. I apologize if I'm repeating myself on this board. We are embarking in San Antonio and disembarking in BA. There is a lot of discussion from others who stay in Santiago pre-cruise. I'm curious as to why do they don't stay in Valparaiso pre-cruise? Coming from Canada do we fly into Santiago and stay there for 2 nights or Santiago 1 night and go to Valparaiso for the night before the cruise, or Valparaiso 2 nights? As its the dead of winter when we leave Canada we will give ourselves 2 days in case of weather delays. Thank you for any and all advice.

I asked myself the same question and have decided after flying so far (from T.O.) as well, I will not miss either.

I will spend a few days pre cruise in Santiago, then have The German Pirate pick me up at my Santiago hotel early on the morning of the cruise, take me on a tour of Valparasio & Vina del Mar with an afternoon drop off at the ship in San Antonio. dog:)

I'm doing it in a few weeks. We decided to do 2 nights in Santiago where we fly into. Then we hired a driver to take us on a tour of the vineyards in the Casablanca Valley and then to drop us off at Vina del Mar. There is a public bus that will take you to San Antonio. There were enough of us that I rented a small bus that will take us. Santiago and Val/Vina are about equal distance to San Antonio.

I wouldn’t disagree :-) . It was more just the time they might have available? And ease of transport to SA from V on the day of the cruise .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perro Tour will do transfers from Valparaiso to SA.

Could package in a winery stop.

We used them for 2+ days (see my review on Trip Advisor... top notch)