Beach Day in Maui

jap3rd

Depending on how many you are you can do this much better on your own. Take an Uber to Kaanapali Beach instead of the excursion to Wailea. Kaanapali (at least in my opinion) is a much nicer beach, a ton of options for restaurants, and the added bonus of getting to see Lahaina either on the way there or the way back.

Depending on how many you are you can do this much better on your own. Take an Uber to Kaanapali Beach instead of the excursion to Wailea. Kaanapali (at least in my opinion) is a much nicer beach, a ton of options for restaurants, and the added bonus of getting to see Lahaina either on the way there or the way back.

If you are going to recommend this, please give the OP all the info.

Ka'anapali beach is a nice beach. But it is a solid 45 minutes from the port (frequently more with traffic)...Wailea is less than 30. The Uber fee will exceed a rental car fee, perhaps comfortably. Yes, there are a few more amenities at Ka'anapali for the basic day user, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Wailea area.

I would suggest a rental car. If you want to see West Maui (Ka'anapali/Lahaina area), this gives you far more options.

I recently checked Uber from the airport to our house & it was about double the price of a taxi and both of them were more expensive than SpeediShuttle.

Unless wanting more shopping & dining options, then Wailea would be a better option. Renting a car at the airport a short distance from the Kahului port is a great way to enjoy an overnight 2 day visit to Maui. The only downside is parking overnight at the airport & using their shuttle to the ship or a taxi/shared ride (Lyft/Uber).

Even if not renting a car those modes of transportation are better to Wailea than to the Ka’anapali area...and probably considerably cheaper with more flexibility than on a ship’s tour. Wailea is half the drive without the traffic of driving to Ka’anapali. I also prefer the Wailea & Makena beaches to the Ka’anapali area...easier access, free parking and a less crowded beach experience.

Here’s a link that shows the sandy crescent shaped Wailea beaches which also have easily accessible snorkeling areas.

http://www.dreamvacationsmaui.com/ekolu304/images/Wailea-Beaches-Maui-1.jpg

We are on POA as well and want to do a beach day in Maui for our 2nd day! We're going to rent a minivan for my family, and we do want to stop in Lahaina. Since we're already there, which beach is then preferable - Wailea or Ka'anapali? I'm looking for a uncrowded, pretty beach, soft sand, scenery. Shops not necessary. The older teens will want things to do, surf lessons possibly, snorkle rental that sort of thing. My youngest (10yo) is happy to play in the sand and water. Easy parking areas, restrooms/ change rooms would be a factor. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

We are on POA as well and want to do a beach day in Maui for our 2nd day! We're going to rent a minivan for my family, and we do want to stop in Lahaina. Since we're already there, which beach is then preferable - Wailea or Ka'anapali? I'm looking for a uncrowded, pretty beach, soft sand, scenery. Shops not necessary. The older teens will want things to do, surf lessons possibly, snorkle rental that sort of thing. My youngest (10yo) is happy to play in the sand and water. Easy parking areas, restrooms/ change rooms would be a factor. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Have you read down the thread???

If you are going to Lahaina, you might as well visit Ka'anapali. However, no high quality beach with amenities is going to be uncrowded. The sand is great on most (but not all) Hawaii beaches.

Both locations will have the amenities you seek. A serious negative about Ka'anapali is paid parking. Wailea parking is free. Snorkeling is good at both.

I'm looking for a uncrowded, pretty beach, soft sand, scenery. Shops not necessary.

The older teens will want things to do, surf lessons possibly, snorkle rental that sort of thing.

Easy parking areas, restrooms/ change rooms would be a factor

In our experience, your first wish and second wish really don't fit together here, and the last wish is something everyone would love at our beaches. There is a bit of give and take necessary. Figure your biggest priority and research options featuring that priority.

Since you are renting a car and going to Lahaina I recommend Kaanapali Beach. So much fun with kids of all ages. Snorkeling at Black Rock, surf and SUP lessons. And there are restaurants where, if you don't want to eat in and miss beach time, you can get take out to eat on the beach. Whaler's Village has restrooms and parking. I am not familiar with public restrooms along Kaanapali but I'm sure they are there. You also might check a couple of the hotels at Kaanapali ahead of time to see if you can valet park your car. It can be more convenient and less expensive than the parking garage. There is an ABC store in Whaler's Village where you can purchase beverages and a limited supply of lunch items, but pretty good. All of the hotels will have a shower on the beach where you can rinse off. It will be a fun day for all of you. Have a great time. Cherie p.s. You will not find an uncrowded beach that offers surf lessons, etc. I'm not sure what you consider uncrowded but Maui beaches are usually not like Waikiki. Although...you might check out Napili which is not too far from Kaanapali.

Edited by cccole

Since you are renting a car and going to Lahaina I recommend Kaanapali Beach. So much fun with kids of all ages. Snorkeling at Black Rock, surf and SUP lessons. And there are restaurants where, if you don't want to eat in and miss beach time, you can get take out to eat on the beach. Whaler's Village has restrooms and parking. I am not familiar with public restrooms along Kaanapali but I'm sure they are there. You also might check a couple of the hotels at Kaanapali ahead of time to see if you can valet park your car. It can be more convenient and less expensive than the parking garage. There is an ABC store in Whaler's Village where you can purchase beverages and a limited supply of lunch items, but pretty good. All of the hotels will have a shower on the beach where you can rinse off. It will be a fun day for all of you. Have a great time. Cherie p.s. You will not find an uncrowded beach that offers surf lessons, etc. I'm not sure what you consider uncrowded but Maui beaches are usually not like Waikiki. Although...you might check out Napili which is not too far from Kaanapali.

Napili has much more current issues, wind as the day progresses. Smaller beach. Napili is nice, but Ka'anapali is better, IMHO.

Napili has much more current issues, wind as the day progresses. Smaller beach. Napili is nice, but Ka'anapali is better, IMHO.

Bruce - What do you think of Kapalua Bay? We have a place at Montage, so we only need to consider walking and not driving around the area, but weekday mornings (at least in our experience when we are there) didn't seem that busy.

I'm not Bruce but having stayed at Kapalua we thought it was great for snorkeling and SUP but not for surfing. Mommalee also would probably not be there first thing in the a.m. If my memory serves...the further towards Kapalua you get the tougher the currents become. Kapalua is definitely a beautiful spot though. JMO Cherie

Bruce - What do you think of Kapalua Bay? We have a place at Montage, so we only need to consider walking and not driving around the area, but weekday mornings (at least in our experience when we are there) didn't seem that busy.

I put Kapalua in the same category as Napili. Yes, early, most beaches up there are pretty quiet. I am frequently (considering we are going to Maui about 20-25 days a year now)in the Kapalua in the morning, the entire area is on the quiet side. We enjoy DT Fleming (immediately north of Kapalua) early in the morning (8am-10am). Used to be a good surfing/body surfing beach, but getting older, and the current is getting much stronger there.

The general beach at Kapalua is pretty steep, like Napili, which indicates strong currents. Windier as the day goes by. Moderate on amenities...being in Kapalua might make them more expensive. Great views all through the area.

Have you read down the thread???

If you are going to Lahaina, you might as well visit Ka'anapali.

Yes, I did read down the thread!

And your answer is exactly the kind of opinion I was looking for. There were a few posts about how Wailea was just as nice as Ka'anapali, so was looking to see if the opinion changed once we were in the area and had transportation.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. They are useful! I love to hear different opinions and then decide what's best for us.

We're going to rent a minivan for my family, and we do want to stop in Lahaina. Since we're already there, which beach is then preferable - Wailea or Ka'anapali?

We may have missed something here, but logic dictates that if you say you are going to be in the Lahaina area already, Ka'anapali Beach would obviously work best for you because of its proximity to Lahaina - and not because it is any better than Wailea.

Dear Silver Sweethearts,

My logic tells me that if I'm travelling thousands of miles to do a once in a lifetime vacation in Hawaii, I can drive a little to get to the beach that's best for me, instead of going to the most conveniently located beach (which just happens to be one of the top rated beaches). We're driving from Kahului anyways, so Wailea is not way out of the way, I like the free parking and being less crowded is appealing. I haven't ruled it out yet.

Dear Silver Sweethearts,

My logic tells me that if I'm travelling thousands of miles to do a once in a lifetime vacation in Hawaii, I can drive a little to get to the beach that's best for me, instead of going to the most conveniently located beach (which just happens to be one of the top rated beaches). We're driving from Kahului anyways, so Wailea is not way out of the way, I like the free parking and being less crowded is appealing. I haven't ruled it out yet.

Going by that logic, and for the sake of argument agreeing that Kaanapali and Wailea are equal (people will give you different answers but there’s not a bad answer to either), if seeing Lahaina is important (and it’s totally worthwhile) you are much better served going to Kaanapali. It’s an 8 minute drive from Lahaina vs a 45 minute drive to Wailea down a completely unremarkable road (read not scenic say like the Hana Highway). You’d literally get nearly an extra hour and a half on the the beach going to Kaanapali.

Going by that logic, and for the sake of argument agreeing that Kaanapali and Wailea are equal (people will give you different answers but there’s not a bad answer to either), if seeing Lahaina is important (and it’s totally worthwhile) you are much better served going to Kaanapali. It’s an 8 minute drive from Lahaina vs a 45 minute drive to Wailea down a completely unremarkable road (read not scenic say like the Hana Highway). You’d literally get nearly an extra hour and a half on the the beach going to Kaanapali.

What you are missing is that the OP is getting off the ship in Kahalui, which is 25 minutes away from Wailea, whereas Ka'anapali is 50 minutes minimum. That is the comparison, not the 45 minutes from Lahaina to Wailea.

As the OP has deemed Lahaina to be important, then Wailea drops off the target list.

What you are missing is that the OP is getting off the ship in Kahalui, which is 25 minutes away from Wailea, whereas Ka'anapali is 50 minutes minimum. That is the comparison, not the 45 minutes from Lahaina to Wailea.

As the OP has deemed Lahaina to be important, then Wailea drops off the target list.

I don’t think I’m missing anything- they said they want to see Lahaina as well so it would be a waste of time to go to Wailea (an additional 45 minutes) when you have a perfectly equal beach in Kaanapali much closer to town.