Anything Montreal

sebas030

We disembark the Maasdam the morning of June 9. My plan was to store our luggage at the pier and the ride the hop on/ hop off trolley to tour old Montreal for the afternoon and then pickup our luggage and head to our hotel up by the airport. To me, it looks like there a stop on the HOHO trolley within walking distance of the pier. Is that correct? And does this sound like a plan that will work?

We disembark the Maasdam the morning of June 9. My plan was to store our luggage at the pier and the ride the hop on/ hop off trolley to tour old Montreal for the afternoon and then pickup our luggage and head to our hotel up by the airport. To me, it looks like there a stop on the HOHO trolley within walking distance of the pier. Is that correct? And does this sound like a plan that will work?

I am unfamiliar with the details of luggage storage, but the Hop on hop off bus details are here. Look for the Point a Calliere stop. You will have to confirm that they also sell tickets there. The bus website should have that info also. http:// http://media.tourcms.com/a/11676/409/12130.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Forums

June 9, 2018 is Formula 1 race weekend in Montreal. Expect the downtown and hotels to be crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the Montreal port located in the old part of Montreal? My husband now wants to stay a day before heading back home so can someone tell me where we will be close to and if you have any hotel recommendations close by. Many thanks.

Is the Montreal port located in the old part of Montreal? My husband now wants to stay a day before heading back home so can someone tell me where we will be close to and if you have any hotel recommendations close by. Many thanks.

Cruise port is across the street from Pointe a Calliere museum in Vieux Port (Old Port). Nearby, look for hotels that call themselves boutique hotels. Try Search of this Canada/New England forum and you will see many threads about Montreal hotels used by cruise visitors.

Good question !

I fly Chicago/Montreal on UA or AC pretty regularly, but have never had a following connection to Quebec City.

EDITED for CORRECT INFORMATION !

You do need to clear customs in Montreal. It will be very tight.

See below link to the Montreal Airport info page:

http://www.admtl.com/Passengers/Formalities/ConnectingFlight.aspx

:)

Tell the airline you need a wheelchair. You go through immigration via the flight staff line. It’s very quick.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would like to rent a vehicle when we disembark the Maasdam in June. We are planning on spending the afternoon in Old Montreal area and then heading up to our hotel by the YUL airport in the evening. We fly out mid morning the next day. I am having trouble figuring out which are the closest car rental agencies to the pier. Right now I have a van on hold at Hertz at 1073 Drummond. Are there closer rental car agencies?

You will find very useful information on car rental agencies near the cruise terminal in this web page (with maps).

http://cruises.alamontreal.com/access-to-montreal/?#localtransportation

Personally, to visit Old Montréal, I would not rent a car (problems with parking, possible construction etc.). You might be better off just walking or taking cabs if mobility is an issue. There is a luggage consignment service at the cruise terminal.

Even to go to the airport, the cab might be a better. I think large ones can be booked for a larger group. To have an idea of taxi prices, here is a well done website. I don't like to encourage one cab company over the other but with this site you will get price estimates according to where you are going.

https://taxidiamond.com/en/individual/estimate-taxi-fare

We would like to rent a vehicle when we disembark the Maasdam in June. We are planning on spending the afternoon in Old Montreal area and then heading up to our hotel by the YUL airport in the evening. We fly out mid morning the next day. I am having trouble figuring out which are the closest car rental agencies to the pier. Right now I have a van on hold at Hertz at 1073 Drummond. Are there closer rental car agencies?

I'm with J_C on this one - even when we road-tripped to Montreal pretty regularly, we used our car strictly to get to the hotel and then left it there until it was time to leave. We weren't scared to drive (though the rep of Montreal drivers as red-light running lunatics is not entirely undeserved...) it was just utterly impractical in most of the touristy downtown parts, especially the oldest parts. Narrow streets, limited and expensive parking, and in June you're in Construction Season (the only other season being Winter). The only place in Montreal we ever though that maybe driving would have been worthwhile was up on Mont Royal itself - it's really more of a modest hill than a mountain, but on a warm day the steps seem to multiply! If you only plan to hang around downtown then go to the airport, it will be less hassle and cheaper to do as suggested, pay to stash bags for the day and then then take a cab to your airport hotel.

We will be disembarking in Montreal on May 8, 2018. We want to get transportation to Plattsburgh, NY. That bus leaves late in the day like 5:00 pm and we already have been in Montreal overnight and visited before also. We could go in late morning, by bus to Burlington, VT, then rent a car, taking ferry to Plattsburgh but seems a roundabout way to get there. I have had one estimate from a Limo service for $315 that will pick us up at the cruise pier and take us to the Plattsburgh Airport, where we can rent a car. Any one have any other ideas?

The drive to Plattsburgh NY is pretty straighforward and not too long so renting a car is a good idea. On the other hand, it might be expensive because of extra insurance to cross the border, one-way drop off fees etc.

There are several car rental agencies situated near the cruise terminal. Here is a good website with maps for how to get to them:

http://cruises.alamontreal.com/access-to-montreal/

The road signs will be in French so it might be a good idea to bring a GPS along.

Thank you for your help! The quote for $315 was in Canadian so it makes the price a little less for us so we have decided to go with Charles Limousine Service. The only problem is that I emailed back to confirm with the information they required and then again but have received no confirmation from them. I guess I will have to call since I do not want to arrive in Montreal and have no one there to pick us up!

• 3 weeks later...
I will try to not break any rules this time.

I am a 41 years old cruise addict and I live in Montreal...I have been living here all my life.

I would love to help any cruise addict, like myself, who are coming to Montreal and give you pointers about the city.

Feel free to ask and I will try to help you have a great time.

talk to you later !!

Sebastien

Salut Sébastien,

Wow c tres gentil de t’offrir à répondre à une tonnes de questions de passagers.

Moi aussi je suis de Montréal (Blainville a vrai dire) et un fans de croisière comme tu pourra constater dans ma signature.

A plus

Éric

Bienvenue au fil de discussion

Welcome to the thread

So everybody understands here is a rough translation of the previous message.

Hi Sébastien,

Wow it is very nice to offer to respond to a ton of questions from passengers.

I am from Montréal also (Blainville more exactly) and a fan of cruises as my signature shows.

Talk to you later

Éric

Bienvenue au fil de discussion

Welcome to the thread

So everybody understands here is a rough translation of the previous message.

Hi Sébastien,

Wow it is very nice to offer to respond to a ton of questions from passengers.

I am from Montréal also (Blainville more exactly) and a fan of cruises as my signature shows.

Talk to you later

Éric

Lol that’s funny sorry I should of translated it myself.

Thanks

Sea ya

Éric

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am looking for advice. We are flying to Montreal on Thursday, June 7th in the evening. Our cruise leaves on Saturday afternoon, so that gives us One Whole Day to see what we can see in Montreal. Many months after I booked the cruise, I found out that the big Formula 1 race is that weekend. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with our limited time. We love history, and museums. We are staying in a hotel on the west side of the downtown area. Would the Hop-on-hop-off bus be a good idea? Or do you think there will be too much traffic? Should we opt for tickets for the Metro instead? We definitely want to see the old Montreal and Notre Dame Cathedral, and St. Joseph's Oratory. We also want to try the local bagels, a sandwich from the Jewish Deli, and poutine. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Cheryl D

I will try to not break any rules this time.

I am a 41 years old cruise addict and I live in Montreal...I have been living here all my life.

I would love to help any cruise addict, like myself, who are coming to Montreal and give you pointers about the city.

Feel free to ask and I will try to help you have a great time.

talk to you later !!

Sebastien

I have been following some of your posts and really appreciate your advice and information. My friend and I will be spending 3nights in Old Montreal near Marche Bonsecours. Is a taxi from the airport still a fixed rate of $4o CA ? Also, can w walk from our hotel Auberge Bonsecours to the cruise ship with a large rolling suitcase? We are active 71 year olds. Can you recommend good but not expensive restaurants and what sights we should not miss. We will be mostly walking on our own. Thanks for your help in advance !:)

Hello,

I am looking for advice. We are flying to Montreal on Thursday, June 7th in the evening. Our cruise leaves on Saturday afternoon, so that gives us One Whole Day to see what we can see in Montreal. Many months after I booked the cruise, I found out that the big Formula 1 race is that weekend. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with our limited time. We love history, and museums. We are staying in a hotel on the west side of the downtown area. Would the Hop-on-hop-off bus be a good idea? Or do you think there will be too much traffic? Should we opt for tickets for the Metro instead? We definitely want to see the old Montreal and Notre Dame Cathedral, and St. Joseph's Oratory. We also want to try the local bagels, a sandwich from the Jewish Deli, and poutine. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Cheryl D

On the Formula 1 weekend, I would definitely avoid any motorized touring like the Hop-On Hop-Off. Many streets will be blocked especially in OId Montréal (worth a visit like Notre-Dame C. and Saint-Joseph O.). If you need transport, the Métro is the way to go.

Since you like museums, I recommend the Pointe-à-Callière Museum. I have been there several times and never find it boring. It is a great place to learn about the history of Montréal and they have temporary exhibits also.

For places to try smoked meat, poutine and bagels see post # 522 of the present thread. Also, here are two informative threads from last year:

"Best Smoked Meat in Montreal?"

"Montreal hotels/pre-cruise" (see post #6 for food)

On the Formula 1 weekend, I would definitely avoid any motorized touring like the Hop-On Hop-Off. Many streets will be blocked especially in OId Montréal (worth a visit like Notre-Dame C. and Saint-Joseph O.).

Oh dear, we will be there the same weekend. I have already purchased my HOHO tickets, but I see they are refundable up to 7 days prior.

Do you think it would be more advisable to do a walking tour instead?

We did cancel our rental car as previously advised. So would a taxi be the best way to get from Old Montreal area after the tour to our airport hotel or the metro?

Thank you for your assistance!

Oh dear, we will be there the same weekend. I have already purchased my HOHO tickets, but I see they are refundable up to 7 days prior.

Do you think it would be more advisable to do a walking tour instead?

We did cancel our rental car as previously advised. So would a taxi be the best way to get from Old Montreal area after the tour to our airport hotel or the metro?

Thank you for your assistance!

I would do a walking tour. As for transport to go to the airport, the Métro does not go to the airport only the 747 bus. Therefore, taking a cab is probably the best option.

That is good to know! If they are still running the service in Oct 2019 it may be an option for us when we go on the the Snowbird Migration cruise out of Quebec at that time.