Dawn recent cruiser - moderno or teppanyaki?

CP3o

We were on the Jade in October, Dawn in February and the Jewel in January, all 3 ate in Moderno and to us food quality was outstanding. My bride liked the chicken and beef presentations while I enjoyed the beef, lamb and sausage presentation. We are booked in January on Dawn and have reservations for Moderno again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a note - NCL DAWN:

Moderno and Cagney's share the same galley (kitchen) deck 13 mid-ship.

Moderno took over half of the former Star Bar area and the expansion area of Cagney's

Teppanyaki is on deck 7 and recently was doubled in size from 2 tables of 8 = 16 to 4 tables of 8 = 32.

Le Bistro and Cucina traded places on deck 6

AND a new specialty restaurant with Mexican flare "Los Lobos" is open deck 12 port side aft ***** highly recommend !

Something for everyone*** - a culinary delight maybe*** well there is always the Buffet.

Cagneys is amazing. Great filet mignon and streak options. Always #1 on our list.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I was going to let this slide but decided to have fun with the qwerty spelling goof.

streak - is that some kind of new beef steak where it is -s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d- to its taste limits ?

or is this some kind of naked cattle running in the back 40 !

Yeah I'll get off my soap box and leave - darn qwerty keyboard !

And I usually get the petite 5 ounce filet mignon - that 8 ounce one is huge !

With the size increase do they now let you pre-book Teppanyaki on Dawn?

I believe that the policy is uniform with NCL on booking the Teppanyaki in advance on all ships must be

booked on board.

"BUT" sailing in the next 90 days ?

See if you can book it by the NCL website - that failing call NCL or your TA if working with one and

see what happens.

Worst case scenario is having to book it with restaurant reservations first thing getting on board.

If in a suite class cabin use the services of the Concierge.

The first night of the cruise is always an excellent time to book this restaurant - later nights not so good.

Thanks everyone. I'd about decided teppanyaki was getting better food quality reviews and leaning that way but sounds like Moderno is doing well on Dawn. My son likes the variaty and the speed of dinner.

We are most likely doing 2 nights at Cagneys as well.

I know totally different food styles. Since sometimes varies by ship thought I’d ask..... we liked moderno on Escape a year ago but recent reviews make me iffy on foood quality there.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a tough one for me. I like them both but I'd lean just a little towards Moderno.

Call me odd but I love that pineapple. Hopefully they still have it next time we sail with NCL.

Bill

I think Teppanyaki is a one time must do. It is not so much about the food, although I thought the food was very good, as it is about the entertainment. The chefs are like magicians with their handling of utensils and the food. However, we've done it once, glad we did, but will continue doing the other specialty restaurants now. The Teppanyaki food served is simple, but plenty, and very tasty...my opinion. And yea....must book. It is always a sell out each evening as far as I know.

Ha, you guys aren't making it easier to decide! We have done Moderno a couple times and Teppenaki once on Escape. We do hibachi occasionally near us so the "show" isn't that important.

All else aside, some of my party don't love veggies and sort of find the dessert and appetizers to be, blah. But, quality of meats into the stir fry were good and Moderno has had some iffy reviews lately overall.

Originally leanned toward Moderno over Teppenaki, then Teppenaki after some meat quality reviews, now uncertain. ;-P

No biggie, will figure it out and won't starve!

• 1 month later...

We sailed the Breakaway in October of 17, Moderno was great and yes, the pineapple is memorable. The Hibachi place was good, but we do those on shore and it is by the nature of the show, very noisy. When we do the Dawn in May we will do Cagneys, Moderno, and Los Lobos to try something new.

We prefer Moderno's to Teppanyaki's anyday. Someone mentioned they were going to do Teppanyaki's cause her son like a speedy dinner. We were there everytime for hours and don't think the entertaining chef or whatever was all that fantastic. We have had much better on land. Modern's is almost as good as any Brazilian steak house we have tried and a lot less expensive. Even though OP didn't ask about other restaurants, the subject came up. I can't wait to try the Mexican restaurant.

im a moderno girl all the way! but i go for the salad bar, teh cheese rolls and the lamb chops. that's all i eat. but trust me, i get my moneys worth lol

All that other delicious meat and you only eat the lamb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We prefer Moderno's to Teppanyaki's anyday. Someone mentioned they were going to do Teppanyaki's cause her son like a speedy dinner. We were there everytime for hours and don't think the entertaining chef or whatever was all that fantastic. We have had much better on land. Modern's is almost as good as any Brazilian steak house we have tried and a lot less expensive. Even though OP didn't ask about other restaurants, the subject came up. I can't wait to try the Mexican restaurant.

Our experience was the opposite, Moderno was nowhere close to Brazilian Steakhouses at home but Teppanyaki was at least as good. I figured it was because of limitations in the Kitchen on the Star but maybe larger ships do a better job.

• 4 weeks later...

We did both after buying second dining package so all dinners in specialty. Enjoyed teppanyaki more but really that’s more a preference related to eating a lot of meat.

Salad bar was good, smaller than Escape, sides and desserts and everything good but it’s the venue I’d be most likely to skip next time.

Cagneys was good food but a little hot and slow service to no fault of servers, probably need a couple more of them around to have better steakhouse service .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums