Friends of Dorothy

Growlr

Hey, Boys,Girls, Boy girls, Girl boys, I do not give a monkeys about your sexuality, just keep it to yourselves, as Brit boy said, he had a loving personal relationship but not outrageously.

He is a proper person!

Sad for him, also, well happy that he could share.

We are going on holiday!

Thanks for your kind comments. I was fortunate to have had 26 years with Tony before cancer took him away from me. He was determined that I should have a full life after he had gone and I am doing my best to live up to his wishes for me. Hence a couple of cruises a year!

hi we are going on the 7 night cruise with P&O Oceana leaving Malta 7th Sept 2017. Was wondering if there is a friends of Dorothy meeting on this cruise or if anyone similar is going and would like to meet up.

You Guys should be booking with Cunard rather than looking to P&O ( P oor & O rdinary or P ensioners & O ld folk ) P&O is a bit behind the times when it comes to the Pink Pound ;)

Edited by Bell Boy

You Guys should be booking with Cunard rather than looking to P&O ( P oor & O rdinary or P ensioners & O ld folk ) P&O is a bit behind the times when it comes to the Pink Pound ;)

Thought I would let you know that I don't fall into any of those categories :D. P&O may not have FoD meetings but I have noticed more gay male couples and travellers on P&O over the last couple of years. There were quite a few of us on Aurora in May. Last June I was on Queen Elizabeth for 10 nights and apart from me and my travel companion, no-one ever turned up for the LGBT meet in the Commodore Club. Cunard may have higher standards, commensurate with the higher fares - but P&O offer a perfectly acceptable product for the price paid.

Or Celebrity. In our experience one of the most LBGT friendly lines around and the evening get togethers at the Martini Bar are well attended.

Or Celebrity. In our experience one of the most LBGT friendly lines around and the evening get togethers at the Martini Bar are well attended.

Hello,

I agree with you completely. I would say P&O seems to attract the older members of the LGBT community whilst Celebrity and Cunard the younger - or at least appear so based on attendance at LGBT events.

Re the expression FOD - I have a problem with this as I don't like musicals.:')

Regards,

Cublet

Never seen one on any of our P&O cruises.

If interested maybe have a word with the entertainment director and see if they can arrange it in the horizon.

Cunard do them - non hosted at 5pm on a certain side of the commodore club (crows nest) daily.

Have always seen these advertised on p&o cruises

• 4 weeks later...
Sad to hear that P&O have had to stop plans for Same-Sex weddings aboard their ships. Apparently this is due to them being registered in Bermuda which has recently changed its laws to prohibit such weddings.

Indeed. There is also a separate thread discussing this.

Well you learn something every day! I had no idea what Friends of Dorothy or Bill W meant until I read this thread. Can't say as I have ever seen either of these terms on any of our cruises but then again, I probably just haven't been paying attention. There was an active LGBT meet on the Carnival cruise we were on last year and I remember thinking how good it was that the LGBT community are able to feel much more accepted nowadays. I wonder what the view would have been 20 to 30 years ago? A lot less tolerant, I've no doubt.

Indeed. There is also a separate thread discussing this.

I didn't see that when I posted then. clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

I'll go and look it up. :)

Well you learn something every day! I had no idea what Friends of Dorothy or Bill W meant until I read this thread. Can't say as I have ever seen either of these terms on any of our cruises but then again, I probably just haven't been paying attention. There was an active LGBT meet on the Carnival cruise we were on last year and I remember thinking how good it was that the LGBT community are able to feel much more accepted nowadays. I wonder what the view would have been 20 to 30 years ago? A lot less tolerant, I've no doubt.

Agreed, tolerance has improved since then. but it's far from perfect.

One thing that has also changed is that companies realise that there is a market for LGBT cruisers. The FoD meetings maybe dated, but in away, that's a good thing if cruise lines are offering more for the community (such as the same-sex weddings).

They are both American as they are owned by American companies.

But p&o is an uber British product with all the British sailaways, the Union Jack flags being handed out, the Union Jack livery, all the drinks prices and speciality restaurant etc being in £s, the tipping structure being in £s etc etc

-----------------------

We are just back from our first cruise with P&O which we chose for many reasons but certainly for those you describe. And now that P&O offers their sailings to the Americas we have booked our second. And on the subject of FOD, before they add any more letter or numbers to the current LBGTQ2S, let's return to Friends Of Dorothy for it's simplicity and inclusiveness.

.... I wonder what the view would have been 20 to 30 years ago? A lot less tolerant, I've no doubt.

My partner & I started cruising some 22+ years ago. We were always openly gay with our table-mates and any other pax we had significant contact with and never experienced any problems at all. I think in those days particularly, people who cruised were generally comfortable both financially and more generally in life so were pretty accepting.

They are both American as they are owned by American companies.

But p&o is an uber British product with all the British sailaways, the Union Jack flags being handed out, the Union Jack livery, all the drinks prices and speciality restaurant etc being in £s, the tipping structure being in £s etc etc

-----------------------

We are just back from our first cruise with P&O which we chose for many reasons but certainly for those you describe. And now that P&O offers their sailings to the Americas we have booked our second. And on the subject of FOD, before they add any more letter or numbers to the current LBGTQ2S, let's return to Friends Of Dorothy for it's simplicity and inclusiveness.

Just for some balance, there is generally only 1 'Great British Sailaway' with flag-waving and jingoistic songs :D.

Not sure Friends of Dorothy would work these days - a lot of younger people wouldn't understand.

What's the' 2S' on the end of your LGBTQ2S?

I didn't see that when I posted then. clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

I'll go and look it up. :)

Agreed, tolerance has improved since then. but it's far from perfect.

One thing that has also changed is that companies realise that there is a market for LGBT cruisers. The FoD meetings maybe dated, but in away, that's a good thing if cruise lines are offering more for the community (such as the same-sex weddings).

Now removed - sadly due to a less-than-tolerant view being posted. Edit - I stand corrected. It's back with the offending view removed!

And as you say, the removal of FOD or indeed any other sessions aimed at "minorities" should be considered a good thing as it implies a much more inclusive society.

Just for some balance, there is generally only 1 'Great British Sailaway' with flag-waving and jingoistic songs :D.

Not sure Friends of Dorothy would work these days - a lot of younger people wouldn't understand.

What's the' 2S' on the end of your LGBTQ2S?

Two-Spirits - This is the designation given gay people by native North American cultures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-spirit