We've jumped ship from Celebrity to P&O

leehal

Today we cancelled our September 2019 cruise on Celebrity Silhouette and changed to the similar cruise on Britannia, an extra 3 days and considerably cheaper than we were due to pay on Celebrity (albeit in Aqua Class).

We have only ever sailed Celebrity, with our next cruise in August this year, which unless prices decrease might be our last.

Any comments or tips appreciated on what we can expect from anyone who has sailed on both.

Today we cancelled our September 2019 cruise on Celebrity Silhouette and changed to the similar cruise on Britannia, an extra 3 days and considerably cheaper than we were due to pay on Celebrity (albeit in Aqua Class).

We have only ever sailed Celebrity, with our next cruise in August this year, which unless prices decrease might be our last.

Any comments or tips appreciated on what we can expect from anyone who has sailed on both.

You will see from the list below that we travelled on P&O and Celebrity quite a few times and whilst there is not a massive difference we prefer Celebrity for the following reasons :

The flexibility and lighter options of Aqua class, with access to the Relaxation room and other perks

We had the drinks option a couple of times, which is not available on P&O

We enjoyed the Q’zine and Tuscan grill, although the posh restaurant on Azura was very good (sorry, can’t remember the name)

Advantages of P&O :

More imaginative destinations

Limelight Club (on Britannia)

More of a British theme

Having said all that, there is not a lot to pick between them and with the right intinerary, price etc I would be happy with either.

David

only reason I stopped going on celebrity was price as after the 2nd season of eclipse in uk prices jumped dramatically if they were within £100 of each other celebrity being higher I would go celebrity I don't know if I have rose tinted glasses where celebrity is concerned but I have had various issues with p&o.

Both cruises will provide you with very a good holiday but in my opion you pay less because you get less on P&O in terms of overall quality.

It's nothing major but just the small details that make a ship and your cabin feel elegant eg P&O offer thinner towels, no bathrobes for most standard rooms, fewer toiletries, no flowers buds in the cabin.

If you eat in the Aqua class restaurant then the food in the MDR will be nothing like as good. It's more stoggy and recently some pax have found that there are retrictions on ordering extras, so if you want a second piece of lobster (as the first is minuscule) you may not be able to get it.

The buffet in P&O is really poor when compared to any Celebrity ship. The choice is much more limited and there is no separate buffet for lighter/ vegetarian foods/ fresh press vegetable juices etc. They do have a grab and go section for sandwiches.

The pay for select restaurants on P&O are generally very good. Not as much flair as Qzine but actually better basic cooking served in an elegant atmosphere. We love Sindhu the Indian restaurant but book early as its popular. The glass house also offers a nice change for a light lunch or dinner when you get fed up with the food in the MDR / buffet.

Embarcation on P&O is slow and protracted, they will allocate you a time based on where your cabin is. If you are in a suite it will be early othewise you could end up not being given a slot until late afternoon then it's all a bit of a rich to go to the lifeboat drill etc

P&O don't offer a general drinks package but their drinks are significantly cheaper than on Celebrity and the gratuity is included in the price. There are no ice Martini bars, molecular cocktails or Micheals style selection of beer and whisky but you can still get a decent choice of beverages.

Entertainment is very subjective and both lines offer different styles. When I am on P&O I miss crocket and bowls on the lawn, the Jazz picnics, the glass shows and putting that Celebrity Offer. When I am on Celebrity I miss the quizzes with British answers, dancing and the lectures.

Loyalty benefits on P&O are a mixed bag - once you are in a higher grade you get fairly decent % discounts but it will take you literally forever to get there. Celebrity benefits come much quicker

If you have any issues on P&O then in my experience you have to fight every inch of the way to get them fixed. They don't have the same service ethos as Celebrity. I'm not talking about minor gripes here but serious issues like faulty toilets or soot all over the balcony. It's fine as long as you don't have a problem. The only time we had an issue on Celebrity they were falling over themselves to sort it out, sent an apology and champagne - that's the way to do it IMO.

You will enjoy a P&O cruise but you may find that you have to pay more once onboard to get a degree of quality.

Having sailed on both many times I would say that Eglesbrech has summarised things perfectly. P&O provide a good holiday, but I think Celebrity provide a better one! Celebrity have a “ can do” attitude whereas unfortunately P&O sometimes have a “ can’t do” attitude.

Edited by Spike11
Spelling!

Thanks for the comments so far.

I think what has hit us this year pricing wise is that we booked our cruise over a year in advance with no offers, the $ then rose against the £ meaning that after a re-price all of the subsequent offers meant we would be paying considerably more. We didn't want a similar scenario next year.

My main concerns related to dining, we love Blu on Celebrity (especially for the tables for 2). We have noticed a decline in quality generally in Aqua and can't afford the extra cost anymore.

We are quite looking forward to a more British feel on the ship, we do realise there will be compromises but the savings run into the thousands for the 2 of us.

Not sure what to make of not having a drinks package, maybe we will drink less!

Thanks for the comments. We have a P&O cruise booked for 2019 (after a Cunard one in 2018), simply because Celebrity has become so expensive, even factoring in the drinks package. Significantly more than Cunard for Autumn to the Azores/Canaries. After trying P&O and Cunard, we'll be able to decide on which of the three (or possibly Princess) if we cruise in 2020.

I think what has hit us this year pricing wise is that we booked our cruise over a year in advance with no offers, the $ then rose against the £ meaning that after a re-price all of the subsequent offers meant we would be paying considerably more. We didn't want a similar scenario next year.

My main concerns related to dining, we love Blu on Celebrity (especially for the tables for 2). We have noticed a decline in quality generally in Aqua and can't afford the extra cost anymore.

We are quite looking forward to a more British feel on the ship, we do realise there will be compromises but the savings run into the thousands for the 2 of us.

With that level of saving you can easily increase the quality of your dining experience by booking a number of nights in the various select venues. They are reasonably well priced and offer different menus each week depending on the length of your cruise. That's what we tend to do now.

Tables for 2 are easier to come by in freedom dining.

The drinks are so much cheaper that not having a package isn't an issue. I find that I do drink less on P&O not because it is not a package but because there are slightly less tempting choices for my personal taste - I love the molecular cocktails.

You will still have a great cruise, just slightly different.

I’ve found this thread interesting, it seems that ultimately you get what you pay for.

I looked into Silversea cruises, they sounded fab until I heard the 10k price tag for 10 nights..... that’s each!

I won’t pay those sorts of prices, but equally I won’t settle for the P&O offering either. I feel as though I would rather not go on a cruise rather than feel unhappy with what I’m buying. I may try Celebrity, got a Princess booked - possibly moving house this summer may change everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've only done one cruise with each of Celebrity and P&O, and had a better overall experience with P&O. Maybe I was expecting too much of Celebrity. To be honest, I preferred our mini cruise with Fred Olsen as well.

I felt Celebrity were always trying to get money off us, especially pestering us to upgrade from our basic drinks package. As we were Aqua class we ate in Blu most of the week and the food quality slowly deteriorated. We only ate in the MDR once at the end, and it was very good so wished we'd done that more. And don't get me started on their useless ballroom dancing!

I wouldn't want to put anyone off any cruise line. What suits us may not suit others. You have to try it for yourself. We've chosen P&O for our next cruise, and really want to do a Cunard transatlantic.

P&O far too formal for us (even though we do dress accordingly, even on Celebrity with their relaxed ‘Evening Chic’ nights). Object to being prevented from utilising venues unless dressed formally. Hate the buffet layouts on P&O, found the MDR service severly lacking. Embarkation is a joke compared to Celebrity.

P&O far too formal for us (even though we do dress accordingly, even on Celebrity with their relaxed ‘Evening Chic’ nights). Object to being prevented from utilising venues unless dressed formally. Hate the buffet layouts on P&O, found the MDR service severly lacking. Embarkation is a joke compared to Celebrity.

That probably means no one ever gets on board P and O, because our experience with Celebrity was seeing long lines of people and people who had no ides what to do or where to go. Mercifully after an appalling checkin for their Jet Set Sail, which was so disorganised and so little consideration for their customers, we did have a line to ourselves. BUT we were left to find it, no directions from anyone.

You knew full well what the expectations were on P&O about dress, so why did you book with them if you felt so strongly? You sound a bit like a person refused entry into the water at a swimming pool being fully clothed.

I look forward to finding out about P & O first hand at our first cruise with them.

We have done both (and some others) and find P&O to be good value. Drinks prices are cheap compared to Celebrity and no 18% added for your convenience.

Not been on Britannia and have to say we look to book smaller ships if we can. I like the fact that formal nights are observed on board, especially if I don't have luggage weight restrictions to contend with.

On our last P&O cruise the food in the MDR we felt had stepped up a notch - okay not up to Blu standard but then I am paying half the price (nearly).

Go with an open mind and enjoy, after all you will no doubt visiting some fantastic destinations

We have done both (and some others) and find P&O to be good value. Drinks prices are cheap compared to Celebrity and no 18% added for your convenience.

Not been on Britannia and have to say we look to book smaller ships if we can. I like the fact that formal nights are observed on board, especially if I don't have luggage weight restrictions to contend with.

Just curious isn't there always a weight restriction on cases on H&S grounds,I remember when we took the coach down to Southampton last time we were told that cases must not be more than 23kg,although the coach driver had/did nothing to check weights,just assumed same applied for those handling the luggage at Southampton & on board ship.

That probably means no one ever gets on board P and O, because our experience with Celebrity was seeing long lines of people and people who had no ides what to do or where to go. Mercifully after an appalling checkin for their Jet Set Sail, which was so disorganised and so little consideration for their customers, we did have a line to ourselves. BUT we were left to find it, no directions from anyone.

You knew full well what the expectations were on P&O about dress, so why did you book with them if you felt so strongly? You sound a bit like a person refused entry into the water at a swimming pool being fully clothed.

I look forward to finding out about P & O first hand at our first cruise with them.

Well our experience regarding check in with Celebrity is 15 mins max. Similar with RCI and none of this dictated times.

As for dress, I knew the formal code, which as I said does not bother me, but we did not know we were expected to wear it all night, or we were not allowed in certain venues. That’s why we’ll stay with Celebrity, RCI, MSC and NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about Kg weight retractions but you can take more than one case if going from Soton. Just remember you have to store them.

23 kg is certainly the restriction for flights, even when you have a 25kg allowance.

Yes it seems to have standardised on 23kg now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well our experience regarding check in with Celebrity is 15 mins max. Similar with RCI and none of this dictated times.

As for dress, I knew the formal code, which as I said does not bother me, but we did not know we were expected to wear it all night, or we were not allowed in certain venues. That’s why we’ll stay with Celebrity, RCI, MSC and NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck hope you mange to enjoy them.

Just back from Azura having done a couple of Celebrity cruises. P&O was a big diappointment. Food in the MDR was poor. Talking to others who had done the same cruise last year and the year before (different people), the standard in the MDR had declined considerably. Never managed to find an enjoyable fish dish anywhere, a point shared by others to whom we spoke. Food in the speciality restaurants was better, though Singa was not really up to expectation given the advertising.

On the P&O plus side, the cabin steward was great and the cabin was spacious and comfortable with a large balcony. The Glass House was excellent. This was always full every evening but interestingly in all the other speciality restaurants there was always plenty of space (less than 50% occupied each evening at a guess). Wine list is good and prices reasonable.

It is a multitude of little things which make Celebrity better - their someliers know about wine and treat it accordingly, P&O waiters treat it like a bottle of coke; cheese "selection" is appalling; waiters need to be trained better; officers walking round not so friendly and apporachable (unless you pay for a "sail away" with them).

Finally my wife's big bugbear;- on Celebrity there were always many staff enforcing the hand cleanser rules; on entry to the ship, at every dining room entrance etc. On P&O it was self service if you wanted it, and we observed many who just did not bother. OK, wasn't aware of any serious problems on the ship but this just sums up the attitiude of the staff and like a poster above says, it is Celebrity "can do" vs P&O "if I can be bothered".

Having sailed on both many times I would say that Eglesbrech has summarised things perfectly. P&O provide a good holiday, but I think Celebrity provide a better one! Celebrity have a “ can do” attitude whereas unfortunately P&O sometimes have a “ can’t do” attitude.

Sums it up to a 'T'!!!

Hi...I don't think it is really fair to compare Celebrity with P&O...its like comparing a 3 star hotel with a 4/5 star hotel. The 3 star ( P&O) offer a good basic experience for what you pay ...as many 3 star hotels do but when you choose a 4...maybe 5 star ( Celebrity) the experience feels a bit more special but of course it comes at a price... just the same with hotels as with cruise ships...the higher the grade the more it costs so then it is up to you what standard you want and what you are willing to pay

Hi...I don't think it is really fair to compare Celebrity with P&O...its like comparing a 3 star hotel with a 4/5 star hotel. The 3 star ( P&O) offer a good basic experience for what you pay ...as many 3 star hotels do but when you choose a 4...maybe 5 star ( Celebrity) the experience feels a bit more special but of course it comes at a price... just the same with hotels as with cruise ships...the higher the grade the more it costs so then it is up to you what standard you want and what you are willing to pay

I agree with you to a point but the comparison was made because it was requested by the OP. As I said above you pay less on P&O because you get less. Paying less means accepting a different product, which is fair enough and as I also said you still get a good holiday.

To follow you analogy of hotel grades where I feel differently is that regardless of what "star" hotel you pay for you should be able to expect positive and professional customer service when there is an issue. This is not always the case on P&O in my experience and that of others, even one or two of those who were real P&O fans have been dissilusioned by poor customer care if you read back some of these threads.

Things go wrong on Celebrity as they do on any line but they deal with it better when they do in my experience anyway.

Add to that the fact that P&O take bookings then cancel them as and when they feel like (Adonia twice, Aurora families) and the customer ethos looks even worse. Celebrity have also cancelled cruises or chartered them out to a group which is equally bad but they at least pay good compensation, not just 5%.