Dawn Sun Deck/Pool area ?'s

delluser

Cruising in just 19 short days, however, I injured my knee and will have surgery a week from today. Post surgery, I cannot bear weight on my leg for 6 weeks. I'm an active, fit person so this is going to be tough. My family is taking in it stride (ha, pun intended) and they are willing to push me around in a wheelchair to get me around the ship. I prefer to spend my days out on deck going between some sun and some shade. I'll be able to use my crutches to get from wheelchair to a lounge chair etc. I need suggestions for where to park myself on deck?

If you get behind me when I'm on my crutches, I'll apologize in advance-I'm slow. :p

Have you reserved a folding wheelchair from the company that NCL uses? I don't believe you can bring your own chair on board. I suggest the folding variety because there will be no place to park it in the stateroom.

I had foot issues on one cruise, I was in a boot and not supposed to walk a lot, so my basic day was spent in the spa and then walking to the dining room. Have a fun time, don't over do anything, let yourself heal. :)

Hmm, I haven't contacted anyone. We have a small, folding chair I'll be borrowing from a friend. I don't need to reserve anything onboard. According to what I read on NCL's site, as long as my chair can fold and doesn't obstruct when in my stateroom etc. it's allowed. I guess I should call and confirm.

We were on the Dawn last year. Here are some pics of the pool deck area. There are large couches and chairs as well as dining tables/chairs on each (I think!) side of the ship with the normal loungers being closer to the pool. Luckily, all the dining tables are standard height and not bar height so it will be easier for you to get in/out of. On sea days, the couches/chairs were taken early. At night, we had them all to ourselves.

Good luck! My daughter was NWB for eight weeks this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_6436.thumb.jpg.b307bcd87c8cb4a1d02cdf37f291054f.jpg

IMG_6437.thumb.jpg.69d0e670f0e7f1b80402ccbe16cb09ae.jpg

Two years ago I fell and tore a tendon in my knee, requiring emergency surgery and putting my leg into a straight brace for two months. We had a two week Alaska cruise booked but decided to cancel ... based on the size and layout of the bathrooms, and with my knee locked straight in the brace, there would simply have been no way to physically sit on the toilet in the tiny space provided.

Cruising in just 19 short days, however, I injured my knee and will have surgery a week from today. Post surgery, I cannot bear weight on my leg for 6 weeks. I'm an active, fit person so this is going to be tough. My family is taking in it stride (ha, pun intended) and they are willing to push me around in a wheelchair to get me around the ship. I prefer to spend my days out on deck going between some sun and some shade. I'll be able to use my crutches to get from wheelchair to a lounge chair etc. I need suggestions for where to park myself on deck?

If you get behind me when I'm on my crutches, I'll apologize in advance-I'm slow. :p

out on deck going between some sun and some shade.

Deck 12 and 13 are going to be your areas of respite.

Deck 12 is the pool deck and is the best for accessibility but will be crowded.

The best elevators for access are the forward banks - the atrium are OK but note the comment below

about bumps and ruts in the deck floor.

The aft elevator bank is OK but a whole lot of travel to get to the pool deck area.

Pool deck Port side forward is the authorized smoking area FYI.

Between the pool area and the buffet there are a few bumps and ruts in the deck floor put the speed brakes

on otherwise the washy washy crew people will have a bigger reception than planned

Deck 13 is an open deck and best accessed by the Atrium elevator bank going out the automatic door by

Cagneys. Using the forward elevators you have to fight hard to open doors and a devil of a bump in the

door transom. Cagney's has a bumpy transom also but you don't have to fight the door pushing you out

onto the deck. The only notable problem with deck 13 is it is the walking jogging running track - don't park

in the middle otherwise there maybe some new Olympic event hurdling lounge chairs. Also deck 13 aft

is narrow and not suitable for wheelchair excursions.

Getting around on the DAWN is not much of a problem as long as you are not in a hurry and your don't

encounter any elevator misfits posted elsewhere here.

Note access to the MDRs is a task as both are on deck 6 - 1 deck floor below the Promenade deck 7.

After you do it once and get your bearings it is not so bad.

Enjoy your cruise and if you like Mexican - the challenge will be to wheelchair to find Los Lobos on deck 12 Aft.

Take the aft elevators to deck 12 head port side and there you are. Great food here !

Super helpful-Thank you!

We were on the Dawn last year. Here are some pics of the pool deck area. There are large couches and chairs as well as dining tables/chairs on each (I think!) side of the ship with the normal loungers being closer to the pool. Luckily, all the dining tables are standard height and not bar height so it will be easier for you to get in/out of. On sea days, the couches/chairs were taken early. At night, we had them all to ourselves.

Good luck! My daughter was NWB for eight weeks this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Dawn on Sunday 2/18/18 after our 11 day Caribbean cruise. Some of the early days, esp. sea days, the sun deck was congested. Later in the week there was plenty of open space for sun or shade. Our cruise was predominately a geriatric crowd. Get up there early and grab your preferred location early on. Later in your cruise space should be more available.

Early week was very windy a day or two. It was tough to lift a lounger without it sailing away. I think you will find suitable positions. There are stepped sun terraces that many loungers utilize overlooking the pool. But less mobile guests will opt for the regular flat deck with adequate space usually there also. Enjoy.

Moby Dick