Thermal Spa on the Dawn - worth it?

shera1209

Hi everyone! My husband and I are sailing on the Dawn in February, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase thermal spa passes for the week. This will be our 3rd NCL cruise (we've previously cruised on the Gem and Star), but we've never done the spa. I would love to hear from anyone who has. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Following... I'm on the Dawn in March and have been wondering the same thing about the spa. My husband and I have always gotten spa passes on our last three cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not worth it. We won it last cruise, our problem it closes early on sea days, so we would head down at 8pm to relax and nope closed. Then when we did go on a port day - no wine left. The sauna and heat beds really small and only 2, so fighting for use with others. We ended up only using it once in 8 days.

We would have liked if it was accessible at like 7-8pm as then we have had dinner, sorted the kids out and relaxed before bed - if that had been the case we would have used it.

I won't ever pay for it on the dawn.

Very relaxing. The unisex sections have hot and cold plung pools and steam rooms and saunas.

Coed section has 2 large jacuzzis and a lap pool (warm water). Most people kinda use it to sit in vs active laps.

We sail a half dozen times a year and always take a spa pass. We were on the dog after she completed her recent dry dock. Never seen wine. Maybe another cruise line? Maybe that's why it is always gone when you show up. Because it is never offered?

Edited by BirdTravels

We bought them for an early Dec cruise and would not again. We always get spa cabins on Epic and love it. On Dawn, the coed area is quite nice. The ladies' area is smaller (no plunge tubs and a very small sauna) than the men's area. The relaxation rooms (our favorite feature, usually) have TV's which, for me, detract from "relaxation." The men's room TV had an available remote which was used by some patrons to turn channels and watch shows. I've only sailed three NCL ships, but Dawn has the best pool deck of Sun, Epic, and Dawn. Whereas the spas (and pool deck hot tubs on Epic) don't open until 8, hot tubs on Dawn pool deck were available much earlier--maybe even before 7. This may not be standard. Dawn also has a lap pool on deck. I didn't use spa or pool deck in the evening so don't know about crowds, but the spa hours were until 10pm except for the last cruise night (8pm). It's all about what you're looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

OMG, so worth it. If you didn't see my thread from our week aboard the Dawn, check it out below. As you'll see, the thermal suite was never crowded for us. In fact, more often than not we were the only ones in there. The lap pool is great, as are the aft view heated loungers. I would never step foot on the Dawn without pre-purchasing the passes.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2426171

No not worth it. We won it last cruise, our problem it closes early on sea days, so we would head down at 8pm to relax and nope closed. Then when we did go on a port day - no wine left. The sauna and heat beds really small and only 2, so fighting for use with others. We ended up only using it once in 8 days.

We would have liked if it was accessible at like 7-8pm as then we have had dinner, sorted the kids out and relaxed before bed - if that had been the case we would have used it.

Are you sure you are talking about Norwegian Dawn? In Thedougouts pictures on page 6 of his review it looks like there are a lot of heated loungers. Or maybe they enlarged and improved the thermal spa during the dry dock.

Edited by Still Dreaming

We sailed on the December 30th cruise on the Dawn.

There were about 6 heated loungers in the Thermal Suite. DD and I had purchased passes for the full 9 days. Unfortunately, we were having too much fun with family and friends to use it much. I'm sure if it had just been my immediate family, I would have used it more.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

Edited by caribou9

The Spa hours on the Dawn ( was just on in Dec) were 8am-10pm except the last day they closed at 8pm.

Ron

I went on a couple years ago - I know I put in a review the hours should be longer - looks like they listened - guess I wasn't the only one.

Are you sure you are talking about Norwegian Dawn? In Thedougouts pictures on page 6 of his review it looks like there are a lot of heated loungers. Or maybe they enlarged and improved the thermal spa during the dry dock.

I was talking about p and o dawn

OMG, so worth it. If you didn't see my thread from our week aboard the Dawn, check it out below. As you'll see, the thermal suite was never crowded for us. In fact, more often than not we were the only ones in there. The lap pool is great, as are the aft view heated loungers. I would never step foot on the Dawn without pre-purchasing the passes.

Doug, my DH and I will be the Getaway next week and visiting the same ports. I thoroughly enjoyed the thread with the pics and videos of your cruise. It was a pleasure to watch. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

I would be wary of purchasing the Thermal Spa on the Dawn. Both of the hot tubs have, IMHO, inadaquate rails for the steps into/out of the tubs (above ground level). I slipped and fell from the top of the stairs onto the tile flooring, and I can tell you there was nothing to break the fall. I was lucky to only have been bruised. The hours are limited as some other posters mentioned, especially when in port. And because they are supposed to drain the hot tubs every day, you may find both out of service at the same time. For me it was not worth it.

Let me start out by saying that DH and I Love the Dawn and have sailed on her several times and in fact will be sailing on her again in November. We purchased the Spa pass last year and will not purchase it again. The main reason being that we are both over 60 and find getting into and out of the therapy pool (not the lap pool) and the hot tub very difficult. You have to climb up first then down to get into them. There are limited railings/handholds. The spas on the Gem, Epic and Getaway had pools and hot tubs that were much easier to navigate.

Dear Momofpuppy, I am glad I am not the only one to have noticed (and unfortunately fell off) the dangerous steps!

I've seen pictures of other spas which seem much better designed. I noted the problem with the ship, for what that was worth, and even spent time in Sick Bay, so maybe they will take some notice! I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip - other than the bruises, I have to say I enjoyed the Dawn very much!

• 5 months later...

Is the Thermal Spa located inside, or are there lounges and other spa features outside in the sun?

• 2 weeks later...
I would be wary of purchasing the Thermal Spa on the Dawn. Both of the hot tubs have, IMHO, inadaquate rails for the steps into/out of the tubs (above ground level). I slipped and fell from the top of the stairs onto the tile flooring, and I can tell you there was nothing to break the fall. I was lucky to only have been bruised. The hours are limited as some other posters mentioned, especially when in port. And because they are supposed to drain the hot tubs every day, you may find both out of service at the same time. For me it was not worth it.

I totally agree plus there are only a handful of lounges and it seems the same people get them every morning or they claim they are taken but someone just went to grab something to eat. Well, an hour later they hadn't returned. They mush have been really hungry or slow eaters. The pool sucked and the gals working in the spa area were anything but friendly. Some of the ships like the Jewel class it is worth it to have a spa pass, the Dawn NOT!!!!!