Any real difference between Balcony and Mini Suite on Dawn?

sharona211

I can see on the deck plans that the square footage is slightly more (80 sq ft) and the bathroom looks like it has an actual tub instead of just a shower. Wondering how much of a real difference this will make? It was just going to be me and my teenage daughter sharing the room so I was ok with the small balcony cabin when we booked it but now we've had a change of plans and my mom is going to be in with us instead of her own cabin with my aunt. I think we need to upgrade but she thinks it's a waste of money.

Cost would be about $600 more total which is not a lot for 3 people for a week long cruise but it would pay for our shore excursions so I don't want to just throw it away on an "upgrade" that is really nothing more than a tub instead of a shower...

Thoughts from those who have experienced both cabins? I have no experience on NCL and have never cruised with more than one other person in the cabin... Mom and I do have spa passes for the week if that makes a difference.

I'm not sure I could justify the increased cost of $600 for 80 more sq. ft. and a tub. If you think about it, it is less than 2 additional feet of length to your cabin. Probably not going to have much impact on your situation and the money could be better put towards spending. This is just my opinion.

3 in a room is going to be tight either way.

Not sure about Dawn, but many of the ships have a curtain between the bed and the couch area that would offer some slight privacy in the mini. Actually, that is the only perk that is worth anything to us.

There are no SUITE perks and it should not be called a mini suite.

3 in a room is going to be tight either way.

Not sure about Dawn, but many of the ships have a curtain between the bed and the couch area that would offer some slight privacy in the mini. Actually, that is the only perk that is worth anything to us.

There are no SUITE perks and it should not be called a mini suite.

I don't know why they don't call it a "Deluxe Balcony Room."

I'm guessing the use of the term "Mini-Suite" is used by NCL because most other non-luxury cruise ship lines features a similar option. Carnival and Royal Caribbean call them Jr. Suites. NCL and Princess call them Mini-Suites. Sometimes they throw in preference boarding or a free bottle of wine, but they are, in reality, not true suites. Since they never promise regular suite amenities it really shouldn't cause a problem.

DH and I have been in both, we did notice that the mini felt larger and more comfortable in the cabin area. The tub is a waste of space for us in the bathroom. Would your mom have been spending $600. for her share of the cabin with your aunt, if so that would cover the upgrade.

It's true that it will be tight for three in either but I wouldn't even consider three in the regular balcony cabin, friends of ours traveled with their daughter in a regular balcony cabin and to me it seemed cramped but they are a very close family and their daughter is very petite (even though she was about 22 at the time) and they seemed just fine, everyone is different:D

DH and I have been in both, we did notice that the mini felt larger and more comfortable in the cabin area. The tub is a waste of space for us in the bathroom. Would your mom have been spending $600. for her share of the cabin with your aunt, if so that would cover the upgrade.

It's true that it will be tight for three in either but I wouldn't even consider three in the regular balcony cabin, friends of ours traveled with their daughter in a regular balcony cabin and to me it seemed cramped but they are a very close family and their daughter is very petite (even though she was about 22 at the time) and they seemed just fine, everyone is different:D

Thanks for the first hand info.

The balconys on the midship minisuites are larger than the regular balconys and have an over hang above from the buffet or pool area that protects the balcony from some sun and rain. This is the best benefit for me.

We've done both - - mini-suite and a "regular" balcony on the Dawn for

Boston<>Tampa repos..

Mini definitely has more room - better for 3 people.

It has curtain "divider" separating bed and couch areas ...which is nice

Regular is OK for 2 but a bit tight for 3.

Here's the rub for the mini.... you are below the Lido and could possibly hear the

scraping of chairs/tables/loungers overhead. We specifically had a mini (11176) quite far aft

to avoid the Lido sounds. It was superb... IMHO.

Boston<>Tampa repos..

Here's the rub for the mini.... you are below the Lido and could possibly hear the

scraping of chairs/tables/loungers overhead. We specifically had a mini (11176) quite far aft

I agree with this. We were in 11056 in 2013. It is slightly forward, enough so that we were directly under cabins and not the pool deck. It made a real difference in terms of noise. If you decide on a mini-suite, pay attention to the deck plans and try to get a cabin either forward or aft where there are cabins above and below.

We were three adults on the 2 week repo cruise and I can't imagine trying to cram everything into a regular balcony cabin. I was very grateful for the extra room in the mini-suite.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Boston<>Tampa repos..

Great info thanks! I prefer midship or aft so will see what's available.

I agree with this. We were in 11056 in 2013. It is slightly forward, enough so that we were directly under cabins and not the pool deck. It made a real difference in terms of noise. If you decide on a mini-suite, pay attention to the deck plans and try to get a cabin either forward or aft where there are cabins above and below.

We were three adults on the 2 week repo cruise and I can't imagine trying to cram everything into a regular balcony cabin. I was very grateful for the extra room in the mini-suite.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the input. Learned that lesson the hard way on my 2nd cruise. Now we always check what's above, below and across from the cabin before choosing!

I can see on the deck plans that the square footage is slightly more (80 sq ft) and the bathroom looks like it has an actual tub instead of just a shower. Wondering how much of a real difference this will make? It was just going to be me and my teenage daughter sharing the room so I was ok with the small balcony cabin when we booked it but now we've had a change of plans and my mom is going to be in with us instead of her own cabin with my aunt. I think we need to upgrade but she thinks it's a waste of money.

Cost would be about $600 more total which is not a lot for 3 people for a week long cruise but it would pay for our shore excursions so I don't want to just throw it away on an "upgrade" that is really nothing more than a tub instead of a shower...

Thoughts from those who have experienced both cabins? I have no experience on NCL and have never cruised with more than one other person in the cabin... Mom and I do have spa passes for the week if that makes a difference.

I would have kept the balcony for 2 people, but would get the mini for 3. The room itself is larger, and there is a curtain separating the couch and bed areas on the Dawn which to me makes a big difference when sleeping 3 people. Ask for a foam topper for the sofa bed. Also in the balcony rooms the sofa bed pulls out differently and it is hard to get to he balcony with it open. No problems in the mini suite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have kept the balcony for 2 people, but would get the mini for 3. The room itself is larger, and there is a curtain separating the couch and bed areas on the Dawn which to me makes a big difference when sleeping 3 people. Ask for a foam topper for the sofa bed. Also in the balcony rooms the sofa bed pulls out differently and it is hard to get to he balcony with it open. No problems in the mini suite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that the same for all ships? For example the Epic as well... (sofa configuration and getting to balcony in a balcony vs mini suite)

The only concern about the mini suite is the bathtub. It has quite a high side and may be difficult for your mother (depending on her age and abilities). We had a suite with bathtub and my DH ended up showering at the spa every day because of the difficulty getting in the tub. Just something to think about.

• 4 weeks later...

Just following up to say that we did upgrade to the mini suite. After initially booking mini 11686 which was the last cabin aft on the port side, I then found several reviews that said it was noisy being under the fitness center (apparently the dancers practice there at night?). Also the balcony in 11686 is a bit enclosed (privasea?) which I wouldn't mind but I thought mom would prefer the full sun as she is a sun worshiper. When the prices dropped a tiny bit after the 30 day mark I upgraded again to mid ship mini 11130. As best I can tell it's below the cafe which, while not ideal, is - I think - better than below the pool deck or the fitness center.

• 7 months later...

Boston<>Tampa repos..

We have the same cabin booked for March. Does the balcony have a lounge chair? If not, do you know if you can get one? My DH likes to sleep on the balcony.

• 3 months later...

I don't think the balconies in the mini suite are big enough for a lounger. As people have mentioned, the bathroom is bigger, the cabin itself. This was before the refurb, but I took the "coffee table" from in front of the small sofa and had enough room to put it between the two chairs on the balcony so we could put a plate of fruit and some drinks or morning coffee out there. And, in those days, our ashtray.