Caribbean islands and playgrounds

Apsalar

We're going on a Southern Caribbean cruise in February with our 3 year old. Does anyone know if there are playgrounds we could visit? Either a public park or a restaurant with a playground is what I'm looking for.

Aruba

Bonaire

Curacao

St. Lucia

Martinique

St. Kitts

The only ones I've found so far are a playground in Oranjestad, Aruba that's only open after 4pm, and a restaurant called Pizza Pizza in Rodney Bay, St. Lucia that has one.

OP, why not go to the beach?

We enjoyed the butterfly garden at Aruba and just walked across the road to the very nice free beach with free chaises with our 5 year old. He had a great time floating and playing with sand.

On Bonaire I highly recommend going to Luc (Lac) bay early (so you could get a spot in the shade) and spend your entire time in the water. It was glorious.

On Curacao I'd advice against Pirate Bay beach, as it was small and boring.

In Aruba, Phillip's animal gardens is very special - they run a rescue organization and took in the animals when Venezuela's zoos had to close (and thank goodness they rescued those animals because things got really bad in Venezuela soon afterwards). You can get very close to the animals, and feed many of them.

Aruba is really safe, and you can hire a taxi at the port to take you to the animal garden, and then a brief tour of the island and then they can drop you off at the beach. My two year old's favorite part of the tour was running around the Casibari Rock formations.

I'm sure a cab driver can find you a playground if you need one too.

We'll definitely go to the beach, but my daughter's interest in the beach has always been a little spotty. Some days she loves it, other days she's not really interested. But she's always up for going to the park.

Your ship might have a small playground on it - Carnival Sunshine does. Its not huge, but my 2.5 year old played on the pirate ship and see-saw for a chunk of time most days when she was done with the beach/pool.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

To reply to my own thread, now that we're back.. In Martinique there was a park with a playground near the cruise port, between the ferry port and the fort. In Aruba there was a McDonalds near Palm Beach with a play area. And that's all we saw.

The ship (Norwegian Breakaway) did not have a playground, but did have a kids pool and a kids area on the ropes course. My daughter loved the kids pool, but she refused to get into the harness for the ropes course.