Cancelation for work reason

geomancer

Hopefully a simple question (although nothing ever is with insurance it seems).

My wife works for our school district, and the district recently voted to start school before labor day next year. Something they've never done before. This, however, creates a conflict and district policy requires her to have superintendent approval to miss those first days.

So, if that permission is denied ... we'd have to rely on travel insurance (Berkshire Hathaway). Our policy states under cancellation as a reason:

You or a Traveling Companion are required to work during his/her

scheduled Trip. He/she must provide proof of requirement to work, such as

a notarized statement signed by an officer of his/her employer. In the

situation of self-employment, proof of self-employment and a notarized

statement confirming that the Insured is unable to travel due to his or her

job obligations will be required.

So, my questions are; Would this apply? And if yes, does this include all of us (2 Adults, 1 Child) or only my wife?

I know a definitive answer can only come from the insurance company, but figured I'd float the idea here first to be prepared.

Was the trip purchased (and the insurance) PRIOR to the change in schedule? If so, that does sound like you have a case, BUT, read the fine print, and speak to the insurance company. Hopefully, the superintendent is a reasonable person and she gets the approval based on the fact the trip was booked based on what she knew of start dates PRIOR to the change.

• 2 months later...

Just posting a follow up to this. It took forever, but we did eventually get the claim through.

The insurance itself was great and relatively painless. What took forever was dealing with Royal Carribean. Such horrible customer service there.

Insurance needed proof of credits received. Well, when I canceled the cruise I was told I'd get the certificates in my email. A couple days later I called again and was told it takes 5-10 business days. Ugh. So at 12 business days, I called again and was told they don't start the process until 5-10 business days but it will be 4-6 weeks until we actually get the certificates... You can see how this is going.

I canceled in February and got the certificates mid-March.With those, we were finally able to submit the claim and it was approved and paid in under a week.

Back to Royal Caribbean, we have a second cruise already booked with them so we used the credits towards that. It was already paid in full, so they said they'd issue a refund (in 5-10 business days ... again...). Well, refund showed up on my credit card. Had three $150 certificates ... and they refunded $378, so $72 short. Back to the phone for me.

So, insurance gets an A+. RCI gets an F.