How full is my cruise?

Solitarycruiser

How do I find out how full my cruise is? Can I expect an upgrade?

Hard to tell how full a cruise is but the number of categories still available and not waitlisted is some indication. Obviously the more categories still open the slower a cruise is selling. I assume you’re asking about a free upgrade on Silversea? Not likely. I can’t say it never happens but it’s not their standard business model. This excludes situations where somebody has to be moved because of an issue with their cabin. They’re also not into discounted up sells from one category to another. Sure they’ll move you for the right price if a higher cabin category is available but you’ll pay the full fare difference.

Edited by Randyk47

How do I find out how full my cruise is? Can I expect an upgrade?
It’s the rare, rare occasion you’ll be offered an upgrade. How many days have you sailed on SS?

One time, SS asked if we’d mind switching suites for a guest who had booked a grand voyage and wanted to be in the same suite for the entire 65 or so days. We totally understood and were happy to accommodate. For our troubles, SS gave us a generous OBC and a very expensive bottle of Italian wine to boot, but kept us in the same suite category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually talked to the Hotel Manager on one of our cruises about Silversea’s policy about upgrades and up sells. It was out of curiosity and I wasn’t trying to gain anything from it other than information. Basically the policy of not giving out upgrades and discounted up sells is driven by the corporate perception that it would not be well received by their clientele. Maybe more importantly is that there is also a revenue consideration in that Silversea is an all inclusive luxury line so much of what is included in a Silversea cruise fare are extra revenue sources on mass market lines. Mass market lines gain a great deal of their revenue from onboard spending like liquor sales, etc., so bodies in beds means more spending on the ship. That leads to sales promotions, upgrading passengers to higher categories to make room at the lower cost categories, etc.

I was going to say the same thing. You don't hear of upgrades very often.

If there is a lot of capacity often they add in a promotion to increase sales.

Keith

Yes, to this. I'm looking at their hardcopy brochure right now, and many of the 2018 sailings have upgrade deals when you book. I will be sailing next month with a 2-category upgrade that was embedded in the original booking: a mid-ship veranda for the price of a Vista. I booked in late December, within the 90-day window. They must have needed to increase sales at the exact same time I was looking for somewhere to go. Nice when that happens!

Yes, to this. I'm looking at their hardcopy brochure right now, and many of the 2018 sailings have upgrade deals when you book. I will be sailing next month with a 2-category upgrade that was embedded in the original booking: a mid-ship veranda for the price of a Vista. I booked in late December, within the 90-day window. They must have needed to increase sales at the exact same time I was looking for somewhere to go. Nice when that happens!

Lucky you! We're in the Vista Suite. We booked last August. I called my TA to see if we could get the upgrade and after checking with his contact at Silversea he said yes, but we'd have to cancel and rebook wit the new promotions, which would end up costing more, but we'd get the money back in shipboard credit. I decided to stick with what I booked.

Lucky you! We're in the Vista Suite. We booked last August. I called my TA to see if we could get the upgrade and after checking with his contact at Silversea he said yes, but we'd have to cancel and rebook wit the new promotions, which would end up costing more, but we'd get the money back in shipboard credit. I decided to stick with what I booked.

Did your TA manage to get you any of the shipboard credit that is part of the promo offer?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did your TA manage to get you any of the shipboard credit that is part of the promo offer?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I paid $2000 less than the current rate, but yes, he could get the $1000 shipboard credit. But I'm getting $600 shipboard credit now so it doesn't pay to switch.

I asked my TA. He was able to tell me. As for an upgrade, I'm sorry, I can't say. We're going on our first cruise in March, so I have no experience yet.

Good luck!

Hi Napria! We (my partner and I) will also be on board. The Wind was home for me for nearly 75 days back in '05 and you will have a great time. We live in Buckhead so quite possibly will be on the same flight to SJ. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

RnR

Hi Napria! We (my partner and I) will also be on board. The Wind was home for me for nearly 75 days back in '05 and you will have a great time. We live in Buckhead so quite possibly will be on the same flight to SJ. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

RnR

Norcalman,

I was going to ask if Napria was going on the March 11th cruise on the Muse. It's our 1st on SS. Then I see that you live in Buckhead. That is where I grew up.

Left in the mid 70s, but brought my wife there in 2015 and showed her where I played football and baseball. My how things have grown. I had been back, but even since then it changed, like everywhere else in the country.

Have a great trip.

Doug

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Norcalman,

I was going to ask if Napria was going on the March 11th cruise on the Muse. It's our 1st on SS. Then I see that you live in Buckhead. That is where I grew up.

Left in the mid 70s, but brought my wife there in 2015 and showed her where I played football and baseball. My how things have grown. I had been back, but even since then it changed, like everywhere else in the country.

Doug.... You are in for a treat in St Barts on the 16th March.

https://www.bucketregatta.com/

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/events/st-barths-bucket-regatta-2018-1266.htm

c3d284_9906144109ec464ea8f418444178a280~mv2_d_4671_2944_s_4_2.webp

The PM function has been disabled on Cruise Critic. In fact, it’s been disabled so long I don’t when or if it ever worked.

I can only think its to "protect" users from receiving spam PMs trying to sell you things - or to avoid sending each other messages about cruise deals the CC might think its entitled to broker instead and take cut.

Either way there is an easy work round (which I use on here)

Go to www.mail.com or co.uk and create a throwaway email account. This you can post on here to make contact with others, and then just delete or ignore if you no longer want to use it. Dont post your everyday email address - spam bots collect email addresses from websiites and your'll end up with lots of unwanted blue pill sales spam - or worse.

I have a nice one to use....... silversea@mail.co.uk - and I dont care if some nut case sends me dodgy emails or loads it onto the net to spoil it. Its throwaway.

All free to use......

Interesting. Well, I guess I’ll just put it out there then... we’re flying in a day early. How about you, norcalman?

As a school administrator I am only able to take off the 30th, so we will be flying in the day of the cruise embarkation.

As a school administrator I am only able to take off the 30th, so we will be flying in the day of the cruise embarkation.

Fulton County Schools, APS or perhaps Gwinnett? I’m looking forward to meeting you. I work in a High School :)