Sea sickness medicine for child

Astromaid

We are taking our 6 year old grandson on a cruise. He is very prone to motion sickness. I had told his mother about bonine, which is what I use, but found out that it is not recommended for children under 12. What do people use for youngsters?

We get the sea bands at home before we travel. The crew has told us about ginger candy, ginger ale and also Green Apples.

I would check with your pediatrician before giving any medication.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all. I have asked my daughter in law to check with his doctor. My problem is that I don't think she will. Her solution to the car sickness is to have air blowing on him and he must watch out the car window (no activities or movies). I was hoping to have something available in case she does nothing. I may try to purchase a band, just wondered if anyone had experience using it with a child.

We use regular Bonine for our children who get seasick and others who we cruise with do the same. Dosage is 1-2 tabs for 12 and up based on need (trial/error really). We give 1 tab to children. I don't know if a half tab would work for a 6yo but that is the part to ask a doctor about. Seasickness is much easier to prevent than to get under control once it begins.

My solution for the day we found out we had a seasick prone little one was grab a green apple and go sit in the hallway on deck 1 and eat the apple. He was 9 at the time. We did OK after that, but preventing worked far better.

Dramamine makes a product for a 6yo but we avoid it because of the drowsy factor.

Thank you all. I have asked my daughter in law to check with his doctor. My problem is that I don't think she will. Her solution to the car sickness is to have air blowing on him and he must watch out the car window (no activities or movies). I was hoping to have something available in case she does nothing. I may try to purchase a band, just wondered if anyone had experience using it with a child.

She want to take her son on a cruise, all the while knowing he has a terrible time with motion sickness? AND you don't think she will contact the child's doctor for advise....that's downright cruel

Dramamine Non-Drowsy Naturals may be an option. If you check the link there is a dosing instruction for ages 6 - 12.

I would check with the child's physician first though. Even though ginger is relatively safe, it is contraindicated in some situations.

Tough situation but I understand.

I am a Pharmacist and I also have a 6 year old son that cruises with us.

If you don't get an answer from the child's pediatrician it is safe to give them Dramamine for kids or "original" Dramamine. Make sure it contains Dimenhydrinate as the active ingredient. This is safe for children greater than 2 years old.

The Bonine or "less drowsy" Dramamine both contain Meclizine. Meclizine safety and efficacy has not been established in children under 12 years of age. Regardless I would definately pick up the seabands as well.

We get the sea bands at home before we travel. The crew has told us about ginger candy, ginger ale and also Green Apples.

I would check with your pediatrician before giving any medication.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How do sea bands work?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

How do sea bands work?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

If worn properly they put pressure on a particular acupuncture point that apparently suppresses nausea and vomiting. They do work for some people. The manufacturer claims the bands have been "clinically proven".

There is also a band that uses a small electrical pulse to do the same thing.