US Pax Question - Tipping on Sea Princess?

diane.in.ny

I know that Australian pax don't have daily hotel charges added to their onboard account while US booked pax do.

It has been suggested that US pax can (should?) remove those auto tips from their account as workers are paid a higher wage than other Princess ships and are not the necessity they are on the other ships.

Personally, I feel I would like to remove the auto tips and tip my cabin steward and wait staff directly.

Opinions from those Down Under please ...

Type "tipping" into the search box and read the many many posts on this topic that have been addressed ad nauseum.

Handing money directly to the cabin steward and wait staff will not mean it goes into their personal pockets. Tips are pooled.

Thanks. Will do

I've searched this forum. While there are many "tipping" threads, I have not seen a thread that answers the specific question from the OP.

My thoughts are that Aussie and Kiwi passengers may not be charged for daily on board tips, but that cost may be built into the total price of the cruise. While American and other passengers may be charged less for the cruise, but they are expected to make that up by paying gratuities. So it would even out in the end. If that is the case, then it would seem fair to not remove the auto tips from your bill. Does anybody have a definitive answer?

I've searched this forum. While there are many "tipping" threads, I have not seen a thread that answers the specific question from the OP.

My thoughts are that Aussie and Kiwi passengers may not be charged for daily on board tips, but that cost may be built into the total price of the cruise. While American and other passengers may be charged less for the cruise, but they are expected to make that up by paying gratuities. So it would even out in the end. If that is the case, then it would seem fair to not remove the auto tips from your bill. Does anybody have a definitive answer?

Thank you for confirming what I found ... or should say what I didn't find ... a definitive answer.

It seems to me whether I auto tip or not, the staff will get the same amount of money. And essentially the auto tip is going to Princess.

Please understand I definitely understand the philosophy of tipping. My daughter worked many years as a waitress. I certainly don't want to stiff anyone, least of all the crew. On the other hand, I can't see any reason to hand more money over to Princess.

So, can anyone confirm if I leave the auto tip, that money does go to the crew?

Thank you for confirming what I found ... or should say what I didn't find ... a definitive answer.

It seems to me whether I auto tip or not, the staff will get the same amount of money. And essentially the auto tip is going to Princess.

Please understand I definitely understand the philosophy of tipping. My daughter worked many years as a waitress. I certainly don't want to stiff anyone, least of all the crew. On the other hand, I can't see any reason to hand more money over to Princess.

So, can anyone confirm if I leave the auto tip, that money does go to the crew?

IT ALL GOES TO THE CREW. Princess does not get any of the tip

We're from Canada and booked the March 24 circumnavigation cruise on the Sea Princess. At the time of booking, Princess offered "Free" gratuities. Not sure if they are really free, or just hidden in the cost of the cruise.

My bet is they are hidden in the cost of the cruise.

Celebrity now includes gratuities on Aussie-based cruises. We cruise with them occasionally, mainly for one way NZ cruises as Princess wasn't doing many of these. We booked our next cruise when we were onboard last and the price was a little more than I expected. About the price of the gratuities more. :confused: ;)

I suspect it's more a case of them being paid a more consistent amount since gratuities are built into the fares and therefore can't be removed. The cruise lines wouldn't be able to get away with just paying them their basic wage without tips as they wouldn't be able to get anyone to work on those ships, so they probably pay them the wage plus the standard gratuity component.

I am curious about this question as well.......and after reading some other threads on the subject...I find some comments rather interesting....such as...the crew members are paid more, when they cruise in OZ.....really? True or False?

Who knows?

I suspect that they are paid more than on other cruises, but about the same as they’d get on other cruises, PLUS autotips.

I know I’ve been told be a few crew that they love being based here.