Silver Shadow Singapore to Singapore: Pirouette's observations

Pirouette

After cruising from San Francisco to New York on Regent last September, we have the good fortune to be cruising again. We chose Silversea due to the interesting itinerary that includes Myanmar and because of reviews suggesting that Silversea is a luxury brand equivalent to Regent.

We boarded on Sunday after a long flight from the west coast of North America. The embarkation was seamless. Our stateroom was available and very nice . We have a veranda suite which includes a walk in closet, shower with separate tub and shower, double sinks and four choices for toiletries. We will try them all! There is a walk in closet and separate make up table. The stateroom seems slightly larger that the stateroom we had on Regent.

We appreciate the wider corridors, airy decor and artwork. The ship is elegant in an understated way, but it is clearly in need of refurbishment. Some of the furniture is worn and the veranda furniture is speckled with droplets of dried paint. She is still a nice ship, just in need of some TLC.

The cruise includes a number of complimentary tour options which we had not expected. We enjoyed the highlights of KL yesterday and today it was an overview of Penang. Both tours were fine and there are paid options available for those who desire a more comprehensive experience. The only complaint was from today's tour. A stop at a local fruit stall was a waste of time. The available toilet facilities were among the filthiest I have ever seen: that includes comparisons to toilets in China, India, North Africa etc. Perhaps Silversea was not aware. They should be...

We are only on our second full day and it appears that Silversea does many things right. The food so far has been quite good. Room service is prompt, accurate and hot. The musical offerings are varied and modern. We enjoyed a very active disco on our first night with an international clientele of all age groups. The singer in the bar was very good too. We have yet to take in a show but the performers mingle with the guests and are delightful.

Now for the not so good. The included wine selection is not the quality we expected on this level of luxury cruise. At best, the wines are very ordinary and not commensurate with the price that we have paid. It is noteworthy that many of the included wines on Regent are on the paid connoisseurs' list on Silversea.

More importantly, there is no way to find out the included wines. Silversea "selects" what it offers each day. They will bring something different on request but only after a question and answer dance as to our preferences. We had a similar issue on Regent last fall. When we raised it, the head sommelier provided us with a written list the next day with the caveat that cellar stock could change throughout the cruise. We were happy with that.

We have been told that it is not Silversea's policy to provide this information. This is not satisfactory and we are not the only guests with this complaint. On a five star cruise passengers should be able to make informed choices about what wines are available during the cruise. After discussion with the food and beverage manager yesterday, the status quo remains. He was to get back to us. We are still waiting. This attitude is disrespectful to Silversea passengers.

Though the food is good,the service in the restaurants has been inconsistent. In La Terazza at lunch it is almost impossible to attract the attention of a server to order pasta or pizza. Service is harried and slow. We are not accustomed to being told "you already asked me for that" when following up on an ordered item that has not arrived. The servers seem disengaged with passengers and not happy. This is a sharp contrast to our recent experience on Regent where we looked forward to interacting with our servers on a daily basis. We had a similar positive experience on each of the Oceania cruises we have done in the last 5 years.

We do not cruise all the time but have done enough to know what we can and should expect. It is still early, but as of now, Silversea is falling short. Cruising is a competitive business. DH said it best at lunch today: passengers will frequent cruise lines that make them feel welcome and are genuinely responsive to passenger needs. We are not feeling good about our experence so far. I hope Silversea is able to step it up before DH's position becomes irretrievably entranched. For now I will keep an open mind.

I will share my further observations throughout. That's it for now-time to dress for formal night: tie required!

Thank you for starting this thread. DH and I did our first luxury cruise on the Shadow in 2011 and it was so perfect it got us hooked on cruising and we did more on SS and then other lines.

I was last on SS in 2015 and have been considering returning, but each time I am ready with a deposit I read something like this and hold off.

Your experiences on Oceania, however, sound much better than on our sampler cruise to Alaska last year, where on the Regatta we found the service and food suboptimal, many pax were obnoxious, and loud intrusive music played most venues, and there were frequent announcements. We were in a PH suite then, comparable in size to SS base veranda suite, but after we were done with all the nickle and diming, including overpriced excursions, the cost was greater than we would have paid on SS. There was no included wine list, so we had no issue to get it, we just paid for wine with high markups.

The toilet access issue is a chronic problem which can come up on any line. On an Italy excursion on Regent a few years ago at one port we stopped at dirty squat toilets, and when I later complained Regent brushed it off as “local colour and custom.”

You could also explore Seabourn (where I was able to get an included wine list copy from the sommelier).

I hope things look up for you.

Interesting comments regarding the wine.

In trying to get a flavour of what to expect on our first SS cruise, I was looking at some old menus .... there was a “Complimentary Selection” of two wines only (???) or you were being invited to ask for the Connoisseurs Collection which I understand is NOT included as standard. I.e. you pay extra?

Are we saying that this is it or is there a ‘proper’ wine list that staff are reluctant to make available for general use? I for one will be mightily dis-chuffed if my choice is to so limited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting comments regarding the wine.

In trying to get a flavour of what to expect on our first SS cruise, I was looking at some old menus .... there was a “Complimentary Selection” of two wines only (???) or you were being invited to ask for the Connoisseurs Collection which I understand is NOT included as standard. I.e. you pay extra?

Are we saying that this is it or is there a ‘proper’ wine list that staff are reluctant to make available for general use? I for one will be mightily dis-chuffed if my choice is to so limited!

What happens is that the waiter arrives at your table, after you have ordered, with a bottle of white and one of red which are that evening's choice for dinner. (Same at lunchtime, actually.) They will describe the wine and offer a taste. If you like it - fine, if not then say so and they will find something else. If you speak to the sommelier and explain the kind of wine that you like they will offer from the included wines. For example we quite like the Pipoli white and the Bogle merlot. On our last cruise a bottle of each was available to us - along with the standard pair for that day - at each meal.

We are not wine connoiseurs - don't even pretend to be - even after living in Burgundy for many years but we find that the free pour wines are not always to our taste (which is not to say that it isn't decent wine, just not our taste).

Finally, the free pour selection of dessert wines is, imo, poor. This is my great passion and I have to say that the offerings are low grade and therefore somewhat flat and syrupy. However, they have a really excellent Tokaji (Tokay) on the connoiseurs list which is worth every one of the $85 they charge for a 50cl bottle. There is also a Chateau d'Yquem at around $200 - obviously it's stunningly good but I would say that it really isn't all that much more satisfying than the Tokaji.

Pirouette, thank you for directing us to this board and specifically this thread. In addition to 30 Regent cruises, we have done 3 Silversea cruises (on the Shadow, Whisper and Spirit). In terms of the ships, we love the Shadow and Whisper! They both could have done with some refurbishment when we were on the ships but, IMO, the "bones" of the ships are wonderful. Wish that Regent's Navigator (just about the same size but more suites which leaves less public areas) were as good as these two ships

We enjoyed food in La Terrazza more than we did in The Restaurant and, when we did our review(s), we rated La Terrazza higher than La Veranda on Regent but rated Compass Rose higher than The Restaurant.

We felt that the service on both cruise lines were good to excellent. We did enjoy some of the unique cocktails offered on Silversea.

Had Silversea been our first luxury cruise, we likely would have stayed with them but since Regent was our first and we continue to enjoy their cruises, there is no reason to change.

Looking forward to further reports.

Well, I am surprised to say the least ... and it looks as if I am going be be dis-chuffed! Fine dining without a wine list??

If I go out for a meal I like to look at the menu, compare the dishes, and make a decision .... the same with the wine ... I like to peruse the wine list, compare the selection, and make a choice. On occasions I have seen a wine that I want and have changed my choice of meal - before ordering I hasten to add. Wine with a meal is - to me - a complete package where everything is, hopefully, to my taste.

In my humble opinion having someone telling me what is available based on my tastes is not very professional.

Sometime ago I went into a local eatery and asked for a wine list .... I was told I could have Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.

No wine list, no explanations, and no knowledge (which I am sure is not the case here) .... so I left and went elsewhere.

Well, I am surprised to say the least ... and it looks as if I am going be be dis-chuffed! Fine dining without a wine list??

If I go out for a meal I like to look at the menu, compare the dishes, and make a decision .... the same with the wine ... I like to peruse the wine list, compare the selection, and make a choice. On occasions I have seen a wine that I want and have changed my choice of meal - before ordering I hasten to add. Wine with a meal is - to me - a complete package where everything is, hopefully, to my taste.

In my humble opinion having someone telling me what is available based on my tastes is not very professional.

Sometime ago I went into a local eatery and asked for a wine list .... I was told I could have Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.

No wine list, no explanations, and no knowledge (which I am sure is not the case here) .... so I left and went elsewhere.

Mike, you raise good points, and your comments pose the obvious question why are so many people contented to accept a waiter approaching them with two bottles and asking "red or white?". I guess when we attend an event as a guest and aren't paying we automatically accept this but this isn't what we do when we pay to dine out and meals on SS are passnegers pre-paying to dine out.

I suspect that SS feel that the delay with offering a choice for non-premium slows them up when they are also simply pouring cheap included wine. One also has to recognise that when you are in a normal restaurant whatever wine you choose is going to be an added charge whereas what we have here is the presumption that diners will be choosing from the limited "free" selection. which makes their way of pouring a little more rational from their point of view.

Finally whilst the aspiration is as you say "fine dining" there are too many reports of patchy food with some being delighted and some being disappointed for the overall product to be accurately called "fine dining" with the implication of consistent excellence. I think as many passengers are returning customers they are simply use to it and accept it.

Instead of, or should I say in addition to, sharing your thoughts and experiences with us may I suggest you share them with the hotel manager immediately. Perhaps he can correct some of these situations while you are still on board and you will enjoy your cruise more.

It really shouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to have a list of included wines available to print off if passengers ask for it or, ideally, left in cabins on embarcation day. I agree that the issue is probably one of service speed, coupled with a reduction in the number of sommeliers employed who can discuss the wine list knowledgeably. All the more reason to have a published list.

I was sent a list of included wines by a TA a couple of years ago, so one was obtainable, though I have no idea what hoops she had to go through to get it. For people sailing in the near future, it might be worth asking Special Services for a list for their particular voyage? I will try to remember to do that for our next trip and see where that gets us.

Rp

We always seek out the Head Sommelier on the first day,examine the complementary wine list if our favourite red and white are still on the list as they have been for the last 20 years we order one of each on the first night then reorder as required.Same applies for alternative dining venues.

Not a wine expert but always been provided with what we enjoy.Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Indeed .. if the discussed scenario is the case then the matter will be raised!

I suppose I could ask my butler to ‘acquire’ a wine list [emoji3]

641fd35c545c2b3cdc13de26a11dc039.jpg

Fine Dining !

Importance of food !

Gastronomic Excellence !

Great Diversity !

Perhaps it’s me .... perhaps I am expecting too much?

In three weeks or so we shall see ..... [emoji6]

We usually taste the wine offered with the meal, and if it isn’t suitable, ask for other options. One of our travelling companions preferred a ‘Merlot’ and simply asked for that each evening. It’s not a big deal unless one makes it so.

Mike,

You've read the boards I'm sure, and I am confident that you will know exactly what to expect! And if it is better then it will be a welcome surprise! :D

All of my reaearch for our trip involves where to go in each port for a fresh fishy restaurant lunch. Starters every day will probably be small fried fishies followed by a main course of a big grilled fish with a squeeze of lemon, and chips, salad and a crisp dry local white. Every day. What could possibly go wrong.

We have a growing list ......

We usually taste the wine offered with the meal, and if it isn’t suitable, ask for other options. One of our travelling companions preferred a ‘Merlot’ and simply asked for that each evening. It’s not a big deal unless one makes it so.

Agree with you!

For those passengers that prefer more upscale wines, there is a wine list with prices. Some passengers use their on board credits to "purchase" these wines. In my opinion, it makes little sense to drag every bottle of included wine out of the wine cellar and attempt to keep them at the proper temperature when most of the passengers will be happy with the choice of the day. This is why luxury cruise lines are hesitant to give passengers a listing of all included wines (not sure about Silversea but on Regent this would mean having 30+ bottles available). BTW, this is no different than on Regent. When you purchase a bottle, it is kept by or on your table.

As to the question asked by a previous poster, I do believe that your expectations are a bit high which can only lead to disappointment. Fortunately there is Cruise Critic where people experienced with the cruise line can give you a better idea of what life is like on luxury cruise lines (in this case, Silversea).

My advice is to speak with the Sommelier about your taste preferences (rather than specific brands unless used for reference purposes) and let them give you some choices to try. For myself, I know that I prefer red wines on the dry side - rich and deep in flavor rather than light and fruity (and, despite many expensive wine tastings, I know what I enjoy and don't care if it an inexpensive wine or a pricey wine). I am always able to find an included wine that is very enjoyable.

Let's get back to the thread as most of us are anxious to hear from the TS (Thread Starter) who has sailed on Regent and is now on Silversea.

I agree that it is awkward having to ask what the wines are available and would have much preferred to get a wine list. It takes up too much time and you feel you are holding up dinner if you are dining with others. Because we didn't wish to do the slow wine dance we tended to order from the premium list. The good thing was we thought the mark-up was quite reasonable.

I did try the Bogle merlot and enjoyed it, wish I had known about the Pipoli as I wasn't to keen on the white wine choices.

I know you have made an effort to speak to the Food and Beverage Manager, maybe if they can't help the Hotel Manager is the next option. Though not what you want to be doing on your holiday.

TTS I agree about the Tokaji. It was recommended to us by the Sommelier and it was delightful. We were able to have it over a couple of nights including in La Champagne as they sent the unfinished bottle to the restaurant. It was much better then the weak, sugary after dinner drink that is usually offered. However, a lovely British gent suggested we ask for the Cadillac, which is the second choice but not usually offered from the free list. It was very pleasant. Have you tried that one?

Pirouette may I suggest dining in the MDR at lunch time at busy times? We found especially at peak periods La Terrazza was not great at lunch time. The queue to get in, then wait for service, or queue to go to the buffet was not our favourite. However if we went earlier or late or when many were off on shore excursions, it was much better.

Julie

I did try the Bogle merlot and enjoyed it, wish I had known about the Pipoli as I wasn't to keen on the white wine choices.

The Pipoli is quite light with a grapefruity flavour and no real acidity. Very nice with delicate starters and with fish.

TTS I agree about the Tokaji. It was recommended to us by the Sommelier and it was delightful. We were able to have it over a couple of nights including in La Champagne as they sent the unfinished bottle to the restaurant. It was much better then the weak, sugary after dinner drink that is usually offered. However, a lovely British gent suggested we ask for the Cadillac, which is the second choice but not usually offered from the free list. It was very pleasant. Have you tried that one?

I make a bottle of Tokaji last for 5 sittings (OH doesn't drink dessert wine). I like that it is not syrupy and has multiple layers of flavour and while it is classed as a dessert wine I find myself savouring each mouthfull in its own right rather than as an adjunct to the dessert. I'm a big, big fan! The Cadillac is not for me - to me it is a little too sugary with no real depth but when taken with a very sweet dessert the sugariness is less acute.. As I type this I am savouring a small glass of a very reasonable Tokaji that was a Christmas present from my son.

Thanks to all of you for contributing to this discussion. We had a lovely formal night and the servers were extremely attentive. The sommelier is very helpful and says that the F&B manager is working on a list for us. Let’s see!

As to avoiding La Terazza during busy times, impossible....it has been the only option available on returning from our morning tours.

I will post again later on today.

As to avoiding La Terazza during busy times, impossible....it has been the only option available on returning from our morning tours.

Room service? (We’ve had room service delivered to places other than our room, btw)

When/if you get the included wine list, you could consider taking an iphone picture of it and then when you see the menus and decide what you are going to eat, you can just glance at your phone to decide what to try and pair with it, to avoid calling servers and/or holding up fellow cruisers at your table. On SB we had fun securing the wine list early in the cruise, then deciding which wine or two to pair with our food, and if the sommelier was around (often) we would ask what to order with the food and then see if he agreed with our choices.

You could also post it here on this forum, (with understanding it is subject to changes, of courses) to help avoid future newbie frustration, :), given so many wines repeat themselves.

...they have a really excellent Tokaji (Tokay) on the connoiseurs list which is worth every one of the $85 they charge for a 50cl bottle. There is also a Chateau d'Yquem at around $200

If you enjoy those two wines, I think you have a little connoisseur in you. [emoji6]

I agree, the Royal Tokaji Tokay Aszu 5 Puttonyos they have on board is excellent. And, one can virtually never go wrong with d’Yquem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all of you for contributing to this discussion. We had a lovely formal night and the servers were extremely attentive. The sommelier is very helpful and says that the F&B manager is working on a list for us. Let’s see!

Another option is the pool grill. That, too, can get quite busy. The MDR at lunchtime is very civilsed but they finish service at (I think) 1.30.

If you enjoy those two wines, I think you have a little connoisseur in you. [emoji6]

I agree, the Royal Tokaji Tokay Aszu 5 Puttonyos they have on board is excellent. And, one can virtually never go wrong with d’Yquem.

Indeed. I think dessert wines get a little overlooked, perhaps because the lower quality ones are, or can be, quite sickly.

Indeed. I think dessert wines get a little overlooked, perhaps because the lower quality ones are, or can be, quite sickly.
No doubt! I’m squarely in your camp. Hope to cruise together someday so we can share another excellent dessert wine together; Climens Barsac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk