Non-ship tour guide recommendations in Boston?

alex_drew

My husband and I will be on a NE/Canada cruise, docking in Boston in late September 2018. Thought maybe we would do the hop-on-hop-off or maybe the Duck Tour as we are in port all day, but wondered if anyone might have a recommendation for private tours in Boston, which might be easier for us? We've done the 7 hour Lexington/Concord plus Boston Highlight ship tour before and it was fabulous, but would like to spend more time in the city this cruise. We are in our late 60's and mid-70's, so while we are fairly fit (HAHA) for our ages, we're not planning to walk the entire Freedom Trail... :) I've gotten some great recommendations on this board if we want to do something on our own, but was thinking that a tour w/an actual guide would just be so much less stress and more informative. We are very used to taking private excursions when we are in the Caribbean, but I am having trouble finding recommended independent tours for Boston. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

My husband and I will be on a NE/Canada cruise, docking in Boston in late September 2018. Thought maybe we would do the hop-on-hop-off or maybe the Duck Tour as we are in port all day, but wondered if anyone might have a recommendation for private tours in Boston, which might be easier for us? We've done the 7 hour Lexington/Concord plus Boston Highlight ship tour before and it was fabulous, but would like to spend more time in the city this cruise. We are in our late 60's and mid-70's, so while we are fairly fit (HAHA) for our ages, we're not planning to walk the entire Freedom Trail... :) I've gotten some great recommendations on this board if we want to do something on our own, but was thinking that a tour w/an actual guide would just be so much less stress and more informative. We are very used to taking private excursions when we are in the Caribbean, but I am having trouble finding recommended independent tours for Boston. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

I would also be interested in this information.

We were in Boston last summer and did the HOHO. A lot of information. We have also done the DUCK tour, which was nice but no hop on hop off. Agree that you do not want to walk the entire Freedom Trail. The part from the Old North Church to Charlestown is brutal. That said, from the Boston Commons there are walking tours for the first part of the Freedom Trail that might work.

• 3 months later...
Do any of the trolleys pick up at the pier?

On days that the ships are in, the HOHO trolley picks up close to the terminal. Just be forewarned that on days of high demand, the HOHO's don't operate on a fixed schedule, and won't stop for people at a stop if the trolley is full, and you may end up waiting quite a while for a seat.

We took a terrific food walking tour a couple of years in Boston's North End.

This is a great way to not only learn the local history but, sample some local, authentic dishes along the way.

Off the Easten Path is the name of the company and Rachel who owns and operates it, does most of the tours and really knows her stuff.

The food stops were all delicious and we have since been back to visit several of the stops along the route.

The North End is the Italian section and you'll feel as if you've been transported to another country.

Here is the website:

http://www.offtheeatenpathtours.com

Also, don't miss the best cannolis in town at the North End's Modern Pastry.

Jonathan

20170925_152743_zpsuwgeewrk.jpg

• 1 month later...
We took a terrific food walking tour a couple of years in Boston's North End.

This is a great way to not only learn the local history but, sample some local, authentic dishes along the way.

Off the Easten Path is the name of the company and Rachel who owns and operates it, does most of the tours and really knows her stuff.

The food stops were all delicious and we have since been back to visit several of the stops along the route.

The North End is the Italian section and you'll feel as if you've been transported to another country.

Here is the website:

http://www.offtheeatenpathtours.com

Also, don't miss the best cannolis in town at the North End's Modern Pastry.

Jonathan

20170925_152743_zpsuwgeewrk.jpg

How far is this tour from cruise port?

• 2 weeks later...

We have done a walk of portions of the Freedom Trail. We did a private tour through the Freedom Trail Foundation. It went to most of the stops around Boston Common and then a portion in the North End. We didn't do the portion of the trail that ends at Bunker Hill. It was a great tour and while you did a lot of walking there were many stops along the way and the walking, distance-wise, isn't that far.