Pre & Post options

tango223

We are thinking of a cruise to Asia with a pre option from Hong Kong to the Terra Cotta Warriors then cruise to Singapore with a post to Angkor Watt. They say the Silverseas can cancel these pre & posts if they don’t get enough people taking them. We are worried about that & wonder if anyone has experience with their pre & post options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If this is a real concern, then perhaps you should consider making your own arrangements and enjoying a touch of exclusivity and certainty. You'd need two or three days to see the Terracotta Warriors, but you could either join an organised tour from HK or make the arrangemetns fairly easily yourself. There's over a dozen flights a week from Singapore to Ankgor Wat and it's a shortish flight of 2 hours'ish to Cambodia and there are a load of companies in Singapore organising tours if you don't want to do it yourself Doing it yourself also allows you to have a longer stay in both HK and Singapore and that would be a great opportunity that would be sad to pass up on. Enjopy your trip.:)

I wonder if OP was asking how much of a concern this should be, and whether anyone here has experience with, or knowledge of, how often pre- and/or post-trips are cancelled. It's a good question; I'd love to know the answer as well.

That was the question - but unless someone from SS truthfully answers then the only responses will be anecdotal and a very small sample. Also, likely I'm wrong but isn't this a newish offering with no long track record?

I was simply offering the observation that with the price of those options and the alternative certainty and enhancement offered by making one's own arrangements that for some that might be preferable. Some prefer to have everything done with the inherrent disadvantages - others don't.

That was the question - but unless someone from SS truthfully answers then the only responses will be anecdotal and a very small sample. Also, likely I'm wrong but isn't this a newish offering with no long track record?

Ah, that's a very helpful perspective, Jeff -- thank you. I'm new to all of this, and didn't realize this was a relatively newish program for Silversea. It does explain why I've not been able to find reviews and trip reports for many pre-, post-, and mid-cruise land tours!

Do you know if SS has a representative who monitors the discussion on these boards?

Ever curious,

Ah, that's a very helpful perspective, Jeff -- thank you. I'm new to all of this, and didn't realize this was a relatively newish program for Silversea. It does explain why I've not been able to find reviews and trip reports for many pre-, post-, and mid-cruise land tours!

Do you know if SS has a representative who monitors the discussion on these boards?

Ever curious,

Hi,

There was a visit some months back but no representative currently engages with posters on this board.

If you are trying to guage whether problems highlighted here are acted on, then there is little or no evidence that it makes any difference whatsoever.

Thank you all for your replies. We wanted it be handled all inclusive rather than arranging it ourselves. We understand the pros & cons of that decision. I wanted some feedback if anyone experienced a cancellation due to lack of participants. From the comments, the land pre & post appear to be relatively new to Silverseas, so that is why there isn’t enough history to get some feedback.

Thank you all for your replies. We wanted it be handled all inclusive rather than arranging it ourselves. We understand the pros & cons of that decision. I wanted some feedback if anyone experienced a cancellation due to lack of participants. From the comments, the land pre & post appear to be relatively new to Silverseas, so that is why there isn’t enough history to get some feedback.

Hi,

Where did the information they may cancel come from?

We have done several pre cruise excursions...only one post cruise in and from Dublin, as when the cruise is over, the party’s over and we want to go home. We have been to Machu Pinchu, Angkor Wat, Santiago Chile for the vineyards, Buenos Aires, Rio, and I’m sure a few others over many years. We went on several mid cruise land trips too. Never a cancellation. On the one to Angkor Wat, there were only four of us..several couples apparently had to drop out after booking. There were only six of us on the Machu Pinchu trip which started with two nights in Lima. I think it can make good sense to pay for cosseting and a feeling (at least) of safety. I recommend these very well organized precruise extensions. They are expensive, but very good. In every case we had terrific guides and wonderful hotels.

Hi,

Where did the information they may cancel come from?

Here is the disclaimer at the end of the Ankgor Wat land programme. I assume it's a standard disclaimer for all of them:

All Land Adventures require a minimum number of participants in order to operate as described. If this minimum number is not met, Silversea reserves the right to offer the programme at a different rate based on private arrangements, or to cancel the specific departure. Silversea's published cruise cancellation policy will remain in effect.

We have done several pre cruise excursions...only one post cruise in and from Dublin, as when the cruise is over, the party’s over and we want to go home. We have been to Machu Pinchu, Angkor Wat, Santiago Chile for the vineyards, Buenos Aires, Rio, and I’m sure a few others over many years. We went on several mid cruise land trips too. Never a cancellation. On the one to Angkor Wat, there were only four of us..several couples apparently had to drop out after booking. There were only six of us on the Machu Pinchu trip which started with two nights in Lima. I think it can make good sense to pay for cosseting and a feeling (at least) of safety. I recommend these very well organized precruise extensions. They are expensive, but very good. In every case we had terrific guides and wonderful hotels.

Wow, CruisinPashmina, I'm impressed that they didn't cancel when there were only 4 participants. Great information -- thanks for posting! I have to admit, I'm very tempted.

Wow, CruisinPashmina, I'm impressed that they didn't cancel when there were only 4 participants. Great information -- thanks for posting! I have to admit, I'm very tempted.

Thank you for your input!

Uni / Tango,

My only suggestion is that before signing on for one of these trips, if I were you, I'd want to know very specifically and in writing whether in the event that (a) you made pre and/or post bookings and that (b) insufficient people booked the arrangements and they reverted to © an alternative offer to you to make personal arrangements at a far greater cost and that (d) you found to be too expensive or indeed (e) they instead just cancelled them with no offer of alternative arrangements, then what would they offer you by way of pre or post travel options to join the cruise and/or return home after it?

You might find yourself with a booked cruise at a later stage, with no option to cancel it without penalty but having to buy extremely expensive air travel arrangements either yourself or through SS. It is better to know before you book what happens if you find yourself a couple of weeks before joining the cruise with no pre and/or post travel arrangements. The small print seems to provide SS with complete protection but seems to remove yours.

Good luck.

Really good points, Jeff. I have a tendency toward being overly optimistic, and so I appreciate the specificity in your voice of caution.

Much to think about!

Happy to help.

Small print is small for a reason, and whilst most things turn out fine, unexpected consequences are pretty nearly always predictable if one simply tries to think of what might go wrong and do all one can to take evasive action.

Wifey and I really enjoy each others company but we wouldn't enjoy a tour with others and would therefore much prefer the flexibility to plan and arrange our own. We are all different. :)