Sydney to Hong Kong Majestic Princess

Reina del Mar

Looking for information about a Princess cruise from Sydney to Hong Kong.

Realise Majestic Princess may not have done this cruise yet, but helpful suggestions , comments, information about what to do, where to go, what to see are welcome from those who have completed a similar cruise on a different Princess ship.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Hope you like sea days as there are lots of them. :D One, the Torres Strait passage, is very interesting. Plan to be up on deck or in the Hollywood Observatory for a good part of the day. The Torres Strait pilot usually gives a commentary. The ship sails quite close to the coast in this region so you'll get great views of that on the port side, and in the starboard side you'll see some of the Great Barrier Reefs.

We did a similar cruise a couple of years ago on Golden, although our one had a few more port stops. We tend not to do excursions and just prefer to wander around by ourselves, but I know a bit about some of the ports.

Darwin. The city is up above the cruise port. There will be shuttle buses for a small fee or you can walk. The walk takes you through an attractive area with cafes and restaurants, and a wave pool. There are lifts connected with walkways to take you up to the city. The shuttle buses drop off and pick up at the Visitors Centre. If you want to see Australian crocodiles I believe there is usually an excursion to a crocodile park.

Singapore. There are heaps of things to so in Singapore and I suggest you do a search in this forum for ideas, based on what you enjoy doing. There is a MRT (train) station a few hundred metres from the cruise terminal and Singapore is very easy to get around by train. Taxis are cheap also. Singapore is also well known as a food destination and local specialities like Hainan Chicken Rice or Satay are popular. The hawker stall complexes where the locals eat are the places to go. If you love crab then seek out one of the more upmarket seafood restaurants that serve Singapore Chilli Crab and Black Pepper Crab. Both are delicious and very messy to eat.

Phu My is about 1.5 hours from Ho Chi Minh City so best to arrange an excursion there. It's an interesting city to visit and worth seeing.

Our cruise didn't go to Taiwan so I can't help there.

If possible plan to stay in Hong Kong for a few days. Again, there are plenty of things to see and do there. If you want a reasonably priced, clean, comfortable and very convenient hotel I recommend the Salisbury YMCA in Tsim Sha Tsui. Location, location, location! It's right next to the Peninsula, and has an entrance to the MTR train station right outside the side entrance to the hotel. It's two blocks to the Star Ferry terminal and there are plenty of restaurants close by. Tip - use the MTR underground walkways to get around this area, it's cooler. Must do sightseeing (IMHO) include the Star Ferry, Peak Tram, the mid-level escalators (after 10am so they take you up the hill, then you walk down), a bus trip to Stanley - ensure you get the number 6 bus going over as it goes over the top of the island instead of through the Aberdeen tunnel and the views are stunning, the markets - Stanley Markets are a bit boring these days but there is the Ladies market and Night markets a few train stops from the YMCA hotel.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info.

We have done Most of the ports as holidays previously. Vietnam and Taiwan will be new to us. We are leaving Hong Kong on disembarkation day because we found it a bit too hectic , so will spend a few days in Dubai on the way home.( Have been told Vietnam is just as busy if not busier though)

Any ideas about getting to Ho Chi Minh / Phu My from port or will we need ship's excursion ?

Visas for UK passport holders ?? Know we do Australia one online.

Thanks.

You might be able to get a private excursion from Phu My, check on the roll call for that cruise and also search in the Asia ports of call forum.

Princess does arrange visas onboard for Aussies but I'm not sure about visas for UK passport holders. You may not need one but check the Vietnam government visa page.

Princess offers an Ho Chi Minh City on Your Own excursion which would be a good compromise. It includes the bus trip there and back, and orientation tour, and 4.5 hours to wander around on your own. Don't worry too much about not knowing the language, I spent a few days there and had no problems at all.

We will be on this voyage as well, although boarding in Brisbane.

If you are looking to do a tour from Phu My to Ho Chi Minh city, we highly recommend Smile Tours. We have used them, as have many CC members.. Very professional & reliable with wonderful guides. Check in on the roll call for this cruise, some private tours might be in the process of being organised.

We have been to Taiwan, last in 2015. When we docked in the port of Kaohsiung, we walked to the local railway station, along with a large amount of passengers. Had no trouble purchasing a day pass & travelling on the trains. Even though English is not widely spoken, we still managed to ask & get help from locals. We primarily spent time shopping. Really enjoyed our time in Taiwan.

Princess offers an Ho Chi Minh City on Your Own excursion which would be a good compromise. It includes the bus trip there and back, and orientation tour, and 4.5 hours to wander around on your own. Don't worry too much about not knowing the language, I spent a few days there and had no problems at all.

Thank you. Sounds like a plan. Not sure whether the excursions are out yet and tend not to look at them anyway..but this sounds like a very good idea.

Thanks again.

We will be on this voyage as well, although boarding in Brisbane.

If you are looking to do a tour from Phu My to Ho Chi Minh city, we highly recommend Smile Tours. We have used them, as have many CC members.. Very professional & reliable with wonderful guides. Check in on the roll call for this cruise, some private tours might be in the process of being organised.

We have been to Taiwan, last in 2015. When we docked in the port of Kaohsiung, we walked to the local railway station, along with a large amount of passengers. Had no trouble purchasing a day pass & travelling on the trains. Even though English is not widely spoken, we still managed to ask & get help from locals. We primarily spent time shopping. Really enjoyed our time in Taiwan.

This idea for Taiwan sounds brilliant.

My husband loves trains and I could shop for Wales !!!

What sort of things did you purchase and how were the prices...I love a bargain.

Not so good at joining roll calls/ tours, but will have a look.

Many thanks.

P.S.

Look forward to bumping into you onboard !

Edited by Reina del Mar
Greeting.