Doors Off Helicopter Tour

cruisieparker

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

I have read all of the reviews on the different islands that have the best helicopter tours. But what I really want to know is how cold and windy it is on the Doors Off tours. I don't want to be so cold that I can't enjoy the trip, but again I would love to experience the views from the helicopter with as much of an unobstructed view as possible.

Can you please give me your opinions based on your own experiences.

Thank you so much!

In "normal conditions", air temperature drops about 5.5 degs F per 1000 feet of elevation gain. In Hawaii's humid air, I would expect the temps to drop less than that in most circumstances. Bear in mind, your helicopter probably won't go up more that a couple thousand feet with the doors off...higher if it has doors on. Where is the tour for?

So, if the temps are in the high 70s, low 80s, you can do the math.

We have done both. We wore a light jacket, but shorts, for the doors off trip.

I refreshed my aviation memory & here’s the standard temperature decrease per 1000’:

Standard Lapse Rate = -2°C / -3.5°F for each 1000’ increase in altitude

I haven’t flown a helicopter with doors off in decades since primary training in the Bell 47 (bubble helicopter like in the MASH series). Based on advertisements I’ve seen only the MD/Hughes helicopters fly with doors off (like in Magnum PI)

But as Bruce wrote, it should be comfortable temperatures. Sea level high temperatures are from the upper 70° to lower 90° range and at 3000’ would be about 10° cooler. Although other meteorological conditions can affect the standard lapse rate.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I refreshed my aviation memory & here’s the standard temperature decrease per 1000’:

Standard Lapse Rate = -2°C / -3.5°F for each 1000’ increase in altitude

I haven’t flown a helicopter with doors off in decades since primary training in the Bell 47 (bubble helicopter like in the MASH series). Based on advertisements I’ve seen only the MD/Hughes helicopters fly with doors off (like in Magnum PI)

But as Bruce wrote, it should be comfortable temperatures. Sea level high temperatures are from the upper 70° to lower 90° range and at 3000’ would be about 10° cooler. Although other meteorological conditions can affect the standard lapse rate.

Sources I used to refresh my rather weak weather training was 1-3 degs C...for humid air. From firefighting, we always use the 5.5 degs F to predict things like weather issues like Foehn (Santa Ana for the lay person) winds and the associated heating of those downsloping winds.

Sources I used to refresh my rather weak weather training was 1-3 degs C...for humid air. From firefighting, we always use the 5.5 degs F to predict things like weather issues like Foehn (Santa Ana for the lay person) winds and the associated heating of those downsloping winds.

Much better to use the higher number for planning purposes...high, hot & humid diminishes performance. (y)

In "normal conditions", air temperature drops about 5.5 degs F per 1000 feet of elevation gain. In Hawaii's humid air, I would expect the temps to drop less than that in most circumstances. Bear in mind, your helicopter probably won't go up more that a couple thousand feet with the doors off...higher if it has doors on. Where is the tour for?

So, if the temps are in the high 70s, low 80s, you can do the math.

We have done both. We wore a light jacket, but shorts, for the doors off trip.

Thank you so much!! We are going on the tour in Kauai in May. Temperature should be 70 probably. So that means maybe 62-65 degrees with the wind blowing right? Brrrrr!!

We flew an open door helicopter in Kauai several years ago and loved it! I think it was in Sept. We layered a hoodie & jacket. I had some thin gloves. If I remember right the company had waterproof jackets they provided. You might ask your company.

I guess I must have done a different "doors off" tour then some of you. I did one out of Hilo to the volcano last June and a light jacket was all i needed. I even got seated in the front with the pilot so that was cool getting to look at all the gauges while we flew.

We did a doors off with Jack Harter Feb 15 on Kauai. Wore long pants, long sleeve tee, and a windbreaker and was comfortable. Not a constant blast of air but definitely some wind. If it’s sunny feels warmer, too. Doors off was great - highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was cold. We all had layers, long pants / jeans, tops & light jackets. Coming from the east coast in winter we had the warm stuff.

I was in the middle seat so I was buffered a little plus my adrenaline was going so that alone made me warmer.