weather

Traderbill

Hi Everyone,

Anyone who has gone on the NE/ Canada cruise in late Sept. I'm trying to figure out what the daytime temp. is like from Boston- Halifax.. Don't know if we should bring shorts & sleeveless tops or just stick with long pants & long sleeve shirts. Any help appreciated. Also are whales still able to be seen & where is the best place to see them.

Whales a-plenty until into October. Best place depends which whales are of most interest to you and what ports you're visiting. In general, St Andrews on the Sea (a little west of Saint John - many whale watch tours booked from a ship stopping here will actually drive you to StAotS) is positioned to have excellent whale watching of all species that feed in the Bay of Fundy - several tour companies run out of here despite the tiny population of the town.

Boston you should still be able to see humpbacks but most of the companies use big vessels rather than the smaller ones more common in StAotS - I like a small boat myself. Since you mentioned Halifax I'm going to guess that's almost certainly one of your ports - and it's the one I'd avoid like the plague doing a whalewatch from as it's on the wrong side of Nova Scotia. Not that whale sightings are impossible - but without major feeding grounds it's much more random than on t'other side, plus there are tons of good land options for the day whereas Saint John, not so much. Cheticamp is another relative hotspot for whales, but that's a very, very unlikely port for a cruise.

Weather - there's simply no point asking this kind of question. it's trivially easy to find statistical data which will at least bracket the likely hot & cold temps you'll face and give an idea of rainfall. In Plain English though, weather is basically irrelevant - you can't do anything about it and it could be anything from near-freezing and rainy to toasty warm and sunny. It's your CLOTHING that's the important factor.

You need to have a water & wind proof shell and layers you can wear underneath based on the temp - don't waste valuable space packing a big thick coat or sweater, take two thinner items that you can wear by themselves or together. Gloves, extra socks, a scarf, and a couple of hats (toque/beanie for warmth and a wide-brim for sunshine) will help you be able to stay out on deck or wander about in port regardless of the weather - and they all bundle up nice & small. Ditto a pair of longjohns or rain pants to layer your legs.

Hi, thank-you for all the great info on whale watching. We have nothing going on in St John so that would be great. I kinda of figured it wouldn't be easy to figure out the weather but when you can only take one piece of luggage each you try to eliminate things. Haha

...when you can only take one piece of luggage each you try to eliminate things.

One of the beauties of layering is that you can wear ALL of your layers to board a plane - no rules about how fat you look yet!!! Same with wearing your biggest boots to board, wear as many of your clothes as you can including all the heaviest options so your suitcase stays nice & light.

You'll probably need to take most of them off once onboard - but that's just good practise for when you're touring, as putting on and taking off layers is often needed. You might leave the ship on a crisp cool morning, warm up towards early afternoon, have to layer up again if you go on a small boat trip (remember wind chill - and a moving boat can significantly add to the perceived wind speed depending whether you're going with, against, or across the wind...)