Best beaches in Key West?

michelle028

Just to be clear, the nicer beach that has received so much press and is the reason the park is so well known, Sandspur Beach, is closed. The Bayside beach (Calusa beach) is opened along with about 20 percent of the park.

Have you been there recently? I was there about two weeks ago and the park looked terrible. Damage remains plainly visible everywhere, the concession building is closed, and even the open areas of the park look very bad.

It is not worth the trip in my opinion.

I was there a few weeks ago. I wouldn't make the drive, either.

yeah, I think we are going to maybe do a snorkel tour or something off the ship. Nothing else in Key West I want to do, been there too many times so have done all the "touristy" stuff. If we cannot find a good snorkel tour, we will probably just stay on the ship.

yeah, I think we are going to maybe do a snorkel tour or something off the ship. Nothing else in Key West I want to do, been there too many times so have done all the "touristy" stuff. If we cannot find a good snorkel tour, we will probably just stay on the ship.

I would recommend Floridays for a great snorkeling adventure as opposed to the "cattle boats' that carry so many.

https://floridayskeywest.com And you can save $$$ by booking online.

Mike:)

There are a few smaller boats - the Javacat or the Patty C - which wouldn't be too bad for a private charter. If you can swing four hours you'd have enough time to hit a snorkeling spot then hit the Sandbar...

image-L.jpg

image-L.jpg

These two boats will take two - six people, but there's one other that will take up to 11 - The Echo II.

Pjk

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you have read the previous remarks about the keys not being a beach destination as all of the beaches are man made.

The easiest and most direct way for you to get to Smathers Beach is to take a taxi which will be much less expensive than using the trolley.

Five Sixes Taxi 305-296-6666

I assume you have read the previous remarks about the keys not being a beach destination as all of the beaches are man made.

The easiest and most direct way for you to get to Smathers Beach is to take a taxi which will be much less expensive than using the trolley.

Five Sixes Taxi 305-296-6666

Thanks!

What I'm thinking is to take the Trolley get off at Southernmost Point early morning and then take the taxi to Smathers.

Thanks!

What I'm thinking is to take the Trolley get off at Southernmost Point early morning and then take the taxi to Smathers.

Skip the trolley as that is just unnecessary expense. You don't need both modes of transportation.

I personally think Ft. Zachary Taylor Beach is nicer and much easier to get to than Smathers Beach.

However, if you want to see the Southernmost Point and then go to Smathers, then taking the free Duval Loop first and then a taxi makes sense.

I personally think Ft. Zachary Taylor Beach is nicer and much easier to get to than Smathers Beach.

However, if you want to see the Southernmost Point and then go to Smathers, then taking the free Duval Loop first and then a taxi makes sense.

^^^ This

Smathers beach is also pretty much butted up to Roosevelt Blvd

By chance, how much do you think a taxi would cost from the Southernmost point to Smathers?

Are you really this determined to go to the beach in Key West? What other stops do you have? Can you just extend an extra night and do a beach day in South Florida? Key West is simply not a great beach destination.

By chance, how much do you think a taxi would cost from the Southernmost point to Smathers?

Less than $10. They charge $2.95 for the first 1/5 of a mile and .70 for each 1/5 after that.

They will be happy to give you a quote if you call them.

okay, I have 2 questions - we agree the beaches in KW are less than desirable

so>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. If we rent a car for the day can we head north a bit and find a nice beach that rents loungers?

2. Are there any great excursions/ferry that will take us to an offshore beach for the day that also rents loungers?

We are in KW from 7-5 so have a long day and would love to find a cool beach

Foe cruise ship passengers the considerations are cost and timing ---> https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34345-i53-k11310281-Boat_trip_to_a_sand_bar-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

Less than $10. They charge $2.95 for the first 1/5 of a mile and .70 for each 1/5 after that.

They will be happy to give you a quote if you call them.

Thank you for all your helpful advice! Coming from Toronto with the bad winter we had we really are looking forward to beach time!

• 4 weeks later...
The Keys are not known for beaches. You aren't being realistic in what you want. The best beach, by far, is not accessible to you - it's at Garden Key in the Dry Tortugas and you wouldn't have the time to make it there and back. The best beach within an acceptable drive would probably be Bahia Honda and that's about an hour drive east. The only beach you would probably have access to would be Fort Zachery, and I'm almost certain you can rent loungers there, but don't picture your bright white Caribbean sand and crystal clear water. South Beach (next to Southernmost) is another option that has chair rentals but it's not exactly a great beach. And how could I forget... Smathers and Higgs Beach. You should just google and research them and see if any are to your liking.

Yeah, we know KW fairly well and have seen all those beaches. That is why I was hoping for something offshore-private excursion or something that would take us to a nice beach.

• 6 months later...

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any recent updates.   

From all this discussion, sounds like Fort Zachary sounds like a great spot to just chill and it's not too far from the dock.   I am traveling with a bunch of girl friends and we really, really want to just sit and chill on a beach.   I get that it's not the Ritz, but it still sounds better than November in Canada.    

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any recent updates.   

From all this discussion, sounds like Fort Zachary sounds like a great spot to just chill and it's not too far from the dock.   I am traveling with a bunch of girl friends and we really, really want to just sit and chill on a beach.   I get that it's not the Ritz, but it still sounds better than November in Canada.    

19 hours ago, bhopal21 said:

I think you will be pleased with Fort Zachary Taylor.

Mike😊

Fort Zachary is a pretty setting, but bring water shoes if you plan to walk or swim.  The beach was effected by hurricane Irma and is very rocky.  There are some sandy patches, but it’s much nicer to enjoy with water shoes. They sell them at the concession or any CVS or Walgreens in Old Town.

Higgs Beach is much sandier than Fort Zachary and is another option.  They have a chair concession there and a great restaurant on the beach called Salute if you want lunch.  Either way, enjoy! 

14 hours ago, keywester33 said:

Higgs Beach is much sandier than Fort Zachary and is another option.  They have a chair concession there and a great restaurant on the beach called Salute if you want lunch.  Either way, enjoy! 

Higgs Beach is nice but IMHO,  I think the OP needs to be prepared for the lack of shade...….

On 10/23/2018 at 6:56 AM, Herfnerd said:

Higgs Beach is nice but IMHO,  I think the OP needs to be prepared for the lack of shade...….

We just got back from a trip to Key West, and a small part of Higgs beach was closed as they are repairing the pier and some sidewalks that were destroyed with hurricane Irma. Looked like they were also adding a new small gazebo by the pier.