Do Canadians need a Visa to go to Brazil and not get off the ship in port?

mexico8

Canadian citizens using a Canadian passport need a visa to visit Brazil. Even if you do not disembark the ship is in Brazil's water so you are already in Brazil. Yes, a visa is required. You could be denied boarding for the cruise if you do not have one.

I've read processing can be extremely slow in eastern Canada so if your cruise is soon you might want to consider paying a visa supply service if you cannot spend the time yourself. Do an internet search and check some of the service providers to see the requirements.

Canadian citizens using a Canadian passport need a visa to visit Brazil. Even if you do not disembark the ship is in Brazil's water so you are already in Brazil. Yes, a visa is required. You could be denied boarding for the cruise if you do not have one.

When a visa is required and you do not have one you will be denied boarding at your port of embarkation. Consult the website of your closest Brazilian consulate.

When a visa is required and you do not have one you will be denied boarding at your port of embarkation. Consult the website of your closest Brazilian consulate.

I don't know why you are quoting me.

I agree with your first statement though I wrote "could" not "will" as I really don't know for all cruise lines everywhere.

Also I doubt if the consulate would answer the question about needing the required visa at boarding; being denied boarding is done by the cruise line. A consulate does not care what the cruise lines policies are. Cruise lines for example often *require* a passport to be valid for 6 months yet the countries visited might not. So if one checked the entry requirements of a certain country they might believe they will be allowed to board but be denied boarding by the cruise line. IMHO both sources should be checked and adhere to the most stringent.

I don't know why you are quoting me.

I agree with your first statement though I wrote "could" not "will" as I really don't know for all cruise lines everywhere.

Also I doubt if the consulate would answer the question about needing the required visa at boarding; being denied boarding is done by the cruise line. A consulate does not care what the cruise lines policies are. Cruise lines for example often *require* a passport to be valid for 6 months yet the countries visited might not. So if one checked the entry requirements of a certain country they might believe they will be allowed to board but be denied boarding by the cruise line. IMHO both sources should be checked and adhere to the most stringent.

Please don't take offense, I was adding on to your comment and agree with you 100%.

OP's plan to stay on the ship without a visa was originally mentioned in this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518460. I'm afraid she didn't like or didn't believe the comments.

Please don't take offense, I was adding on to your comment and agree with you 100%.

OP's plan to stay on the ship without a visa was originally mentioned in this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518460. I'm afraid she didn't like or didn't believe the comments.

Thank goodness for cruise critic. I had thought I could stay on the ship and would not need a Visa for Brazil. (That was the case for Russia when we cruised there years ago. We did have Visas but some others did not and they simply did not get off the ship in St. Petersburg.) I assumed Brazil was the same way and now I know because cruise critic members have just recently told me.

We are having a computer person come to our home tomorrow to help us with the application and the picture problem. (I will go and have photos done tomorrow morning before he comes here). Really annoyed I have to get the Visa but don't want to be denied boarding.:mad:

Thanks.

I did not know about the other thread. Yes, sometimes even I only hear what I want. At least so I am told :)

Thank goodness for cruise critic. I had thought I could stay on the ship and would not need a Visa for Brazil. (That was the case for Russia when we cruised there years ago. We did have Visas but some others did not and they simply did not get off the ship in St. Petersburg.) I assumed Brazil was the same way and now I know because cruise critic members have just recently told me.

We are having a computer person come to our home tomorrow to help us with the application and the picture problem. (I will go and have photos done tomorrow morning before he comes here). Really annoyed I have to get the Visa but don't want to be denied boarding.:mad:

I too resist paying for an unwanted visa (i.e. stay on ship). A couple of years back just that we would need one for a TA that ended in Brazil just to get the airport did figure in the negative column in the "should we / should we not" book that cruise. In the end could not take the cruise due to work but if I had to buy one (or two) would want to spend extra time to say, visit Iguazu Falls. Hope you have a great time.

Another frustrating day trying to submit an online application for the Brazilian Visa. We paid a computer tech to come to our home to help us and he was not able to get it to work either. Our daughter and my husband have spent a few hours trying to do it also. The pictures we had taken at Costco don't seem to fit the area and nothing we have tried will work.

We are only stopping in two ports in Brazil (we have been to Rio for 5 days about ten years ago). Don't need to visit there again and we did pay for and got the approval for Argentina and are spending 5 days there at the end of the cruise.

We are getting desperate and will go to the Brazilian embassy tomorrow and hope they can help us. We have called them numerous times and they don't know what the problem is but we think it's their web site.

I went to Costco today and got my picture taken for the Visa because I realize I won't be able to board the ship without having that Visa (that I really don't want). We are past final payment but if we were not I would be tempted to cancel the whole cruise.:( We are so frustrated with this whole experience.

If this post is in colour then you can see my red face!!

Three of us were pretty stupid trying to insert the picture into the Brazil application for a Visa. Somehow we missed seeing the "Send" at the bottom of the page. (There are excuses but too lengthy to post). The good news is that we were able to submit our application. :o

If this post is in colour then you can see my red face!!

Three of us were pretty stupid trying to insert the picture into the Brazil application for a Visa. Somehow we missed seeing the "Send" at the bottom of the page. (There are excuses but too lengthy to post). The good news is that we were able to submit our application. :o

I'm so glad you got that worked out and hope you have an excellent cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm so glad you got that worked out and hope you have an excellent cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you. Want to mention that we missed seeing the "Save" (not the Send) at the bottom of the form.

Something about the size of the font I set it at or dimensions, etc.