Favorite line for a Baltic Cruise?

sjde

do you have a favorite cruise line for the Baltic?

We've been looking at Princess , NCL , Royal Caribbean but we'd consider anything.

We noticed for Norway, Fred Olsen has some that include hiking , which is nice.

The ports, and the times in those ports, are perhaps rather more important for a Baltic cruise than the cruise line.......

Most ships include an overnite & two full days in St Petersburg, for some it's two nights / three days.

But for some it's just a single day, and that's woefully inadequate for St Petersburg. :(

I'd definitely pass on a cruise which didn't give at least two days there.

Some of the very largest ships port at Nynashamn for Stockholm because they're not permitted to sail through the archipelago of islands & into Stockholm itself. Nyneshamn to Stockholm is an hour's travel by train or road, and more importantly you miss that glorious sail-in through the islands - one of the world's best sail-ins.

IMHO you should avoid any cruise which mentions Nynashamn.

Some itineraries include Warnemunde, on the German coast. A pleasant enough stop, but the real attraction for some is the opportunity to visit Berlin.

Berlin is something over 3 hours e/w from Warnemunde, and you'll not do it justice in a fore-shortened port-of-call day, Better to put Berlin on the back-burner until you can give it several days, but some folk may not have another opportunity. If that's you, you'll want Warnemunde on the itinerary, and more importantly you'll want the sailaway time to be as late into the evening as possible.

For Brits, a sailing from the UK is convenient.

But it adds a couple or three sea-days, so for those flying to a cruise a better bet would be cruising from Amsterdam or Copenhagen or occasionally other Baltic ports.

The Baltic and the Norwegian fjords are almost-always two different itineraries, don't get confused between them..

Fred Olsen's clients are almost-entirely Brits.

But they don't bite, and they have a similar language to your own :p.

Fred appeals mainly to active recently-retireds, though for the Norwegian fjords - so much less strenuous than the Baltic - the average age may be higher.

Definitely not suited to kids or the younger set.

Their ships are little old hand-me-downs, and don't have the whistles & bells of more modern cruise ships.

But very friendly, as most small ships tend to be. And friendly on the pocket, including on-board prices.

All just MHO as always

JB :)

I do think what cruise line you sail matters.

Yes, you want to figure out which itinerary you prefer but likely you will find several interesting ones.

There are many cruise lines that sail the area. Some have been mentioned plus there are others at various price points.

I would get a Travel Agent to put together all of the options for you.

Keith

The ports, and the times in those ports, are perhaps rather more important for a Baltic cruise than the cruise line.......

Most ships include an overnite & two full days in St Petersburg, for some it's two nights / three days.

But for some it's just a single day, and that's woefully inadequate for St Petersburg. :(

I'd definitely pass on a cruise which didn't give at least two days there.

Some of the very largest ships port at Nynashamn for Stockholm because they're not permitted to sail through the archipelago of islands & into Stockholm itself. Nyneshamn to Stockholm is an hour's travel by train or road, and more importantly you miss that glorious sail-in through the islands - one of the world's best sail-ins.

IMHO you should avoid any cruise which mentions Nynashamn.

Some itineraries include Warnemunde, on the German coast. A pleasant enough stop, but the real attraction for some is the opportunity to visit Berlin.

Berlin is something over 3 hours e/w from Warnemunde, and you'll not do it justice in a fore-shortened port-of-call day, Better to put Berlin on the back-burner until you can give it several days, but some folk may not have another opportunity. If that's you, you'll want Warnemunde on the itinerary, and more importantly you'll want the sailaway time to be as late into the evening as possible.

For Brits, a sailing from the UK is convenient.

But it adds a couple or three sea-days, so for those flying to a cruise a better bet would be cruising from Amsterdam or Copenhagen or occasionally other Baltic ports.

The Baltic and the Norwegian fjords are almost-always two different itineraries, don't get confused between them..

Fred Olsen's clients are almost-entirely Brits.

But they don't bite, and they have a similar language to your own :p.

Fred appeals mainly to active recently-retireds, though for the Norwegian fjords - so much less strenuous than the Baltic - the average age may be higher.

Definitely not suited to kids or the younger set.

Their ships are little old hand-me-downs, and don't have the whistles & bells of more modern cruise ships.

But very friendly, as most small ships tend to be. And friendly on the pocket, including on-board prices.

All just MHO as always

JB :)

This is absolutely dead-on accurate! We just cruised rccl which I could take or leave, but we didnt need Berlin this trip, we wanted two days in stp, and we had unique opportunities in Riga and Klaipeda. Tour with locals and get insight into the Soviet era. Alla was excellent in stp.

I wasn't overly impressed with the ship but the itinerary was terrific!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the itineraries that start in one city and end in a different port, such as Copenhagen and Stockholm. Stockholm is such a wonderful city it's a shame to try and see it in a day (which the round trip Copenhagen itineraries attempt). Even worse, would be attempting to do Stockholm from Nynashamn.

Royal Caribbean always does a nice itinerary mid June that starts in one or the other and spends three days in St. Petersburg. It won't be on one of their monster ships, but it has a nice itinerary.

If you can spend a bit more money, Oceania also does some open jaw itineraries that include Riga, Klaipeda, Gdansk or Brugge.

Yes, Fred Olsen does Rambler's Holidays in various ports, and the Baltic cruise on Braemar is one in September. I've known keen walkers go on these cruises, but you'll be in cities so I don't know what the walking will be like.

Braemar is small enough to travel back through the Kiel canal, though, which would tempt me...

Fred Olsen's ships are small and old, but the one we've been on was well kept and comfortable. The line is owned by a Norwegian family, mainly for Brits, but all are welcome.

They served us the very best food we have ever had on a cruise line, and kept up that standard nightly- it's an important part of their package, and is a big selling point.

The prices on board are also the cheapest we've ever met at sea, especially the drinks at pub prices and without the tipping used by several lines on any bar sales.

might want to take a look at Viking Ocean too ..... not cheap but very highly rated .... don't let a first look at price chase you away, look at what is already included.

We're picking our trip for next summer right now ...

do you have a favorite cruise line for the Baltic?

We've been looking at Princess , NCL , Royal Caribbean but we'd consider anything.

We noticed for Norway, Fred Olsen has some that include hiking , which is nice.

We've done Celebrity and it was wonderful!!

You may want to try Celebrity...the service was great and the itinerary presentation was well thought out. The tours were well organized...all in all a great cruise. I would also opt for a 14 day cruise if possible. You are seeing so much that the full 2 weeks is a bonus.