Does Princess Southbound Itinerary Include Time in Prince William Sound?

Suzwed

When the cruise departs from Whittier, does the ship spend any time in Prince William Sound, or does it mainly head right out to sea? Just wondering if I want to arrive a day earlier, and take the 26 Glaciers Morning Cruise to explore the Sound, College Fjord, Surprise Glacier, Esther Passage, etc. Any thoughts?

You can do the glacier cruises the day of the cruise. The ship doesn't leave until late. You can take the RR in and do the glacier cruise the day of the cruise. It is a different experience with the small boat.

Not really. Looks to me like you only get a decent look at Prince William Sound on Princess cruises that are northbound after originating in Vancouver and then terminating in Whittier. On those voyages they sail from Glacier Bay and the next day you get to enter the Sound via Hinchinbrook Entrance then cross the Sound and voyage up Port Wells and College Fiord. Southbound you simply cross the Sound and enter the North Pacific (Gulf of Alaska) through Hinchinbrook Entrance then cross the Gulf to Yakutat Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

I agree, try to arrange one of those local glacier tours out of Whittier, like the "26 Glacier Cruise", you will see lots more than on the huge vessel.

Thank you very much! We will definitely plan on taking one of the morning up close tours of the Sound and the glaciers. Question.....if we arrive to Whittier via train, and are doing say the 26 Glaciers tour before boarding the ship, what do we do with our bags? Can anyone confirm that they have a bag check or anything?

I think the first couple hours sail out of Whittier is some of the most spectacular on your cruise. I'm always on deck for 3-4 hours after sailaway. Depending on what month you sail it can be spectacular in the evening twlight