Will we have problems using a scooter on the Carnival Fantasy ship?

BigDave835

Can anyone tell be if they have used a scooter on the Carnival Fantsy ship?

we did a few years back...no problems at all, but we did have a hc cabin, so we could bring the scooter in the cabin at night to charge the battery. Others brought the scooter to the front desk, where they stored it over night. Scooters were not allowed to stay in the hallway over night. Enjoy your cruise, the Fantasy is still a great ship with lots of places to have fun.

There are only those few HC rooms that will accomodate a scooter. You would need to contact Guest Services to be sure your (friends) cabin has the wider doorways, so the scooter would fit through the door.

Dave, we were assigned from a guarantee booking and I have stayed in an HC cabin on the Fantasy (although neither me or my friend have disabilities) and a scooter would be fine anywhere on the ship, including the room we stayed in. We had U243 which was an Aft OV cabin. I think the reason we were assigned that room was because my nephew had recently been injured and is not wheelchair dependent. I had inquired about the facilities for HC and therefore, Carnival allowed me to stay in the cabin to get the knowledge to share (I didn't ask for it so don't flame me, and I don't think I took anyone's room).

You posted on my Conquest roll call a question for me. I answered you there and I'm willing to share any information and pictures if you wish for them. Let me know how much you need and want.

All-in-all, your friend and his/her scooter will be fine on the ship. Happy Sailing!

we did a few years back...no problems at all, but we did have a hc cabin, so we could bring the scooter in the cabin at night to charge the battery. Others brought the scooter to the front desk, where they stored it over night. Scooters were not allowed to stay in the hallway over night. Enjoy your cruise, the Fantasy is still a great ship with lots of places to have fun.

We have cruised many times but this will be our first experience using a power wheelchair. Did you mean the purser's desk when you said the front desk? We love to cruise on short notice but have been very worried that if we didn't get a HC cabin, we would not be able to board. I was wondering if the powerchair could be stored elsewhere. Is that a common practice to store it elsewhere?

I appreciate all the info on this board. Thanks!

We have cruised many times but this will be our first experience using a power wheelchair. Did you mean the purser's desk when you said the front desk? We love to cruise on short notice but have been very worried that if we didn't get a HC cabin, we would not be able to board. I was wondering if the powerchair could be stored elsewhere. Is that a common practice to store it elsewhere?

yes purser's office. When you get a HC cabin, no need to go through having to use purser's office. The HC cabins are set up to handle scooters, wheelchairs and all other equipment. Bewst of all we like the roll in shower with shower seat. The ship does move:eek: so having multiple grab bars in the bathroom area is a plus.

keep in mind that Fantasy is one of Carnival's older ships and has the fewest fully accessible cabins. Beware of those they call modified HC because they have the narrow door and a lip going in to the bathroom.:)

welcome home Hugh............and you are correct......only book an accessible cabin, not one they call modified.

learn what doorways to the observation areas are not flush with the ground, a scooter will not roll over them. also, the top deck, with the minature golf course and observation deck at the front of the ship is not accessable any other way then by stairs, about 12 steps up and about 25 yards to the deck. I have never seen anything as nice as the view at night from that deck, we were heading directly towards the moon and it was a full moon, it was just amazing

• 3 weeks later...

While it is true that the Fantasy is one of Carnival's older ships and you can't get to the top deck unless you use the stairs, you will do fine with a scooter.

We have cruised over 20 times and have actually been on the Fantasy about 4. You are able to plug the scooter in at the purser's desk no problem :) Watch out for some accessible cabins because you sometimes lose storage space.

Want to chat about cruising? Come visit my blog.... see you on the seas!

• 4 months later...

We will be leaving in a week on the Fantasy. Hubby is in powerchair full time. I am having nightmares worrying about debarkation from a cabin on the Empress deck and passenger- filled hallways, being unable to get out of our cabin. Do all wheelchair users debark as a group? I'd prefer to be last off the ship.

Also, will he have a problem using the gangway in Cozumel with his powerchair?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Hi Recently back from Cozumel and it is VERY accessible. If you come in to the dock that is 3 miles from the main part of town, the taxi stand has a lift van. Also, the sidewalks are wide and most of the stores have a ramp to get into them. We were amazed how nice it is, we were there just after the horrible hurricane and the city was in RUINS!!!~! They have poured in millions and what a nice job! You will NOT have any trouble getting off the ship. Bon Voyage! Nancie

Edited by JNCRUISEBUMS

• 8 years later...

I Just booked U243. I love these boards I can find anything I need Thank u for putting my fears to rest with the detailed assesment of this room.

to clarify gangway is no problem. Last year I was on Royal Caribbean Harmony of the seas and My scooter would get caught in the space between the gaps of the gangway. where it connect with the ship

IIs this the case with the fantasy gang way or is it one continuous gang way with out any gaps in the gang way

Thank You

I Just booked U243. I love these boards I can find anything I need Thank u for putting my fears to rest with the detailed assesment of this room.

to clarify gangway is no problem. Last year I was on Royal Caribbean Harmony of the seas and My scooter would get caught in the space between the gaps of the gangway. where it connect with the ship

IIs this the case with the fantasy gang way or is it one continuous gang way with out any gaps in the gang way

Thank You

FYI - the thread you posted on is 8-9 years old. So you might what to check to see if the Fantasy has undergone any modifications since that time that might impact previously posted information.

The problem you had with your scooter on the Harmony of the Seas can and does happen on all ships regardless of the cruise line. The problem is due to your scooter most likely having a low ground (under) clearance that makes if difficult to clear the joints rather than it being an issue with the gangway itself.

Portable travel scooters generally have only a 2" or less ground (under) clearance making it difficult to get over the gangway joints. To avoid this issue the scooter has to be a Full-size or Bariatric scooter that typically has a ground (under) clearance of 3" or better. BTW the most commonly rented scooter for cruises is the Pride GoGo Sport and the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler which both have a ground ( under) clearance of 1.5".

Edited by xxoocruiser

FYI - the thread you posted on is 8-9 years old. So you might what to check to see if the ship have undergone any modifications since that time that might have impact of previously posted information.

The problem you had with your scooter on the Harmony of the Seas can and does happen on all ships regardless of the cruise line. The problem is due to your scooter most likely having a low ground (under) clearance that makes if difficult to clear the joints rather than it being an issue with the gangway itself.

Portable travel scooters generally have only a 2" or less ground (under) clearance making it difficult to get over the gangway joints. To avoid this issue the scooter has to be a Full-size or Bariatric scooter that typically has a ground (under) clearance of 3" or better. BTW the most commonly rented scooter for cruises is the Pride GoGo Sport and the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler which both have a ground ( under) clearance of 1.5".

Thx for info I do have a go go scooter by pride so I must be doing something wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thx for info I do have a go go scooter by pride so I must be doing something wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps you misunderstood my previous reply. The fact that you have a Pride GoGo which only has an ground clearance of 1.5" is the reason you scooter isn't clearing the gangway joints. You're not doing anything wrong as getting hung up on the gangway joints is to be expected with any mobility scooter that has a ground clearance of 2" or less.

You have options when this happens.

• If able to walk down/up the ramp than suggest you do so. Have the crew place the scooter in "Freewheel Mode" and just roll the scooter down up the ramp . Make certain the scooter has been placed in "Drive Mode" before sitting .

• Remain on the scooter than have the crew place the scooter in "Freewheel Mode" and lift you and the scooter over the joints. This option requires another crew member to hold/block the scooter in front from rolling down the ramp. The scooter has to be placed back in the "Drive Mode" before proceeding down/up the ramp.

• Stand to side of the scooter if possible holding the hand rail . Have the crew place the scooter in " Freewheel Mode" and lift the scooter over the joint and place it back in "Drive Mode" than proceed driving it up down the ramp.

There's a yellow lever on the rear wheels below the seat. Push the lever to the Locked icon for Freewheel Mode. Push the lever back to the Locked icon for Drive Mode. Never all the crew to force push the scooter over the joints as at action can permanently damage the motor.

My wife uses a power wheelchair and we book a fully accessible cabin. Been on the Fantasy and had a suitable cabin and a wonderful cruise. The Fantasy is an older ship and has only a very few fully accessible rooms. You are expected to store & recharge your wheelchair or scooter in your room. Plan ahead and book your room well in advance. No last minute deals for the disabled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Crazy Cruiser

When I was on Harmony of the sea I got off the scooter and walked down and they brought it down to me.

it too bad we Cant take ad)vantage of last minute deals. I was surprised that I got a HC room so close to the sailing date (I Just booked U243). I am looking forward to the cruise and the room since it is my first Aft Extended Balcony Room The only charged me for an ocean view room rate instead of the Balcony rate because they didn't have anymore Ocean View HC staterooms.

I eagerly awaiting the 2019 Alaskan Cruises so I can book on the first day and get my choice of cabins.