Dress Code for Children for Alaska

xoxbear

A lot depends on the ages of these "kids". If they are young (12ish and under) a nice pair of pants (dockers) and collared shirt or dress will suffice for formal and other nights. Older kids should try to dress up a little more on formal nights but that does not mean suits, sport coats or ties on males and formal dresses on females. I have found that in AK pax and Alaskans do not dress up formally. This is the last frontier and they wear rugged clothes. Athletic shoes on any age youngster is more than adequate.

A lot depends on the ages of these "kids". If they are young (12ish and under) a nice pair of pants (dockers) and collared shirt or dress will suffice for formal and other nights. Older kids should try to dress up a little more on formal nights but that does not mean suits, sport coats or ties on males and formal dresses on females. I have found that in AK pax and Alaskans do not dress up formally. This is the last frontier and they wear rugged clothes. Athletic shoes on any age youngster is more than adequate.

Having taken 4 Alaskan cruises I must agree with Satxdiver.

However, I would add that any children who take delight in getting on elevators and pressing every button should be attired in a straight jacket whenever outside of their cabin. Those children who like to run loudly down the hallways should be attired in ankle shackles.

However, I would add that any children who take delight in getting on elevators and pressing every button should be attired in a straight jacket whenever outside of their cabin. Those children who like to run loudly down the hallways should be attired in ankle shackles.

How about the kids that change the breakfast menu's hanging on the doors? :(

or the ones that damage door decorations? :mad:

I say keep them all home while the parents can enjoy vacation by themselves.

The simple answer is that the dress code is the same for all Princess cruises. The destination makes no difference at all. A cruise to Bora Bora has the same dress code as Alaska and the same as Northern Europe and the same as Australia or South America. No difference at all.

I am acquainted with the playing on the elevators, pushing all the buttons and then getting off, playing/congregating on the stairways and running wild around the ship public areas. However changing door hangings, destroying door displays and running loudly through the stateroom hallways I have not seen so far and want to keep it that way. Our last AK cruise which was in July, we had hundreds of kids aboard of all ages and I did not have any problems with them. I was surprised by the number onboard however. The most I have worn on formal night on an AK cruise was a pair of dockers, long sleeved dress shirt and athletic shoes although now the shirt has changed to a guayabera shirt which is way more comfortable.

Great family picture.

How did the kids dress the rest of the time?

Thanks! It was our 50th Wedding Anniversary.

They wore casual clothes the rest of the nights. Nice jeans and tops. Chase always wore long pants. He loved his dress shoes because they were the same as his Grandpa’s. :D

Cheers, Denise

Same for rude, and unruly adults. :mad: Those kind of PAX are worse than unsupervised children.

As long as clean and neat anything goes. Wish the adults did the same. One Alaskan cruise had appearance of a WalMart late at night.

How often are you in Walmart late at night to know how people dress? Must be a lot to be sure of how they dress. Do you wear a tux while there? Or a suit and tie?

What is the dress code for Alaska for kids? We will be on the Ruby Princess in July.

We did Alaska in July with our then 5 yrs old and 3 friends from his Kindergarten, we used long pants, long sleeve shirts and a vest on the kids, they were comfortable and very cute, picture ready.

Long sleeve shirts and pants will do well if you don’t care to be dressy though, but a vest and a bow tie won’t take much space in you luggage 😀

We did Alaska in July with our then 5 yrs old and 3 friends from his Kindergarten, we used long pants, long sleeve shirts and a vest on the kids, they were comfortable and very cute, picture ready.

Long sleeve shirts and pants will do well if you don’t care to be dressy though, but a vest and a bow tie won’t take much space in you luggage

Are kids and pre-teens (up to age 12) wearing shorts allowed in the MDR at dinner?

The simple answer is that the dress code is the same for all Princess cruises. The destination makes no difference at all. A cruise to Bora Bora has the same dress code as Alaska and the same as Northern Europe and the same as Australia or South America. No difference at all.

Thank you, Thrak. My thoughts exactly.

The recommended attire suggestions from Princess do not change depending on the location of the itinerary.

The level of compliance may change depending on the mindset of the passenger demographic.

Probably not allowed but I have seen the youngsters wearing shorts in the MDR and evidently not a problem.

I don't believe that the Princess attire guidelines re: NO shorts permitted in the dining room indicates an exception will be granted for children.

This thread is a little funny to me, because, not in the context of cruising, you will find us Alaskans wearing just about anything to dinner. I can feel like having a fancy night out with DW, dress up with jacket and tie and go to the most expensive restaurant in town, (even Anchorage), and the next town over there will be someone wearing bunny boots, Carhart overalls, a worn-out hoodie, and a beard that hangs down mid-chest.

... and that's the ladies. You should see how the guys dress. ;)

This thread is a little funny to me, because, not in the context of cruising, you will find us Alaskans wearing just about anything to dinner. I can feel like having a fancy night out with DW, dress up with jacket and tie and go to the most expensive restaurant in town, (even Anchorage), and the next town over there will be someone wearing bunny boots, Carhart overalls, a worn-out hoodie, and a beard that hangs down mid-chest.

... and that's the ladies. You should see how the guys dress. ;)

Alaskan ladies have beards? :eek:

Edited by Kingofcool1947