Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

Apparently RCCL thinks that within 9 days things will be fine and everyone will be able to fly into SJU no problem. And get a nice hotel room if they come the day before. Maybe they'll have a table at the airport handing out MRE's to their arriving customers.

It will be interesting to see how long they wait to cancel the October 7 Adventure sailing. Unless the plan is to sail away with a few local's and just give everyone else a FCC instead of refund.

It must be really frustrating but it's not in your control. We are lucky- we cruise Nov 5th to the western.

If I were scheduled on a cruise that might be affected I'd come up with a back up plan and make the best of it. My vacation days are set so I'd need to come up with an alternate plan in case they cancelled my cruise. You have to wait to book that plan but at least you're not scrambling at the last minute. Lemonade out of lemons.

Also this storm has cemented my decision to use Southwest for air. No change fees, just rebook any flight anywhere within a year.

I think a lot of this is also out of RCL control. They want to get back to normal too. If they cancel or move a ship and the port area could have been used people would get angry about that too. They really can't win and have to wait and see like everyone else. I agree they should let passengers know as soon as possible.

It's much more than the airport. If they, RC, go solely by airport they are in trouble. Many people have lost and continue to lose there hotel reservations. In addition are vendors able to provide provisions for the ship. Lots of factors are in play.

Completely agree. We could go on and on about all that is required to make an embarkation port successful and safe.

However, if SJU is not 100% operational and running commercial flights at 100% capacity, nothing else matters because your passengers can't get to SJ.

RCI already knows that SJU isn't magically going to recover in the next few days.

If safety & welfare of its passengers is the top concern of RCI, then don't make families, children, elderly and those with medical disabilities and needs fly into an island that is in a state of emergency.

Make a decision by Saturday, one way or the other.

It must be really frustrating but it's not in your control. We are lucky- we cruise Nov 5th to the western.

If I were scheduled on a cruise that might be affected I'd come up with a back up plan and make the best of it. My vacation days are set so I'd need to come up with an alternate plan in case they cancelled my cruise. You have to wait to book that plan but at least you're not scrambling at the last minute. Lemonade out of lemons.

Also this storm has cemented my decision to use Southwest for air. No change fees, just rebook any flight anywhere within a year.

I think a lot of this is also out of RCL control. They want to get back to normal too. If they cancel or move a ship and the port area could have been used people would get angry about that too. They really can't win and have to wait and see like everyone else. I agree they should let passengers know as soon as possible.

Most of the airlines are allowing passengers with flights to/from San Juan to rebook without a change fee. I'm on JetBlue and I know they're allowing it.

We have a backup plan but could be of little use if they only give us 4 days notice when they cancel.

Airfare if you can find it will be through the roof price wise.

All the people on canceled cruises are going to be vying for the same available cruise ship berths also driving up the prices.

Anybody with half a brain can see that the port is not usable.

While the ship may be able to get into port where are they restocking the ship with everything they need for the coming week? Where are people going to stay as most hotels are closed.

RCI should do the right thing and cancel all cruises for the month of October and let people move on.

They sure didn't learn from their mistakes after hurricane Irma as they are repeating the same mistakes.

Bill

I'd be happy if they home ported out of FL for the time being. They can get supplies from FL for the 10/7 , but what about the cruises after that?

Our hotel isn't taking new reservations through 10/27. I have no idea what that means for us as my calls, emails and FB posts have gone understandably unanswered. They have bigger problems to worry about.

I'm keeping an eye on the Oct 7 sailing, gauging that their fate will most likely be ours (Oct 14). I agree, until the airport is fully operational I'm not sure how they're going to get 2,000k+ passengers to the ship day-of. We had already booked flights day-of through Air2Sea and RCI shuttle, so I'm slightly hopeful. But I agree with others: I wish for these Oct sailings they'd just let us leave from another port since the airlines are accommodating changed flights.

Adventure of the Seas:September 30

The is the information on Royal Caribbean's web sight on the Adventure of the Seas:

"Given the impact of Hurricane Maria, we are cancelling this cruise to utilize the ship for evacuation and humanitarian efforts. The ship will arrive on Wednesday, September 27 and will operate humanitarian calls in San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Croix to aid in the evacuation and donate critical supplies to each destination. The ship will bring evacuees to Fort Lauderdale before returning to San Juan on October 6 to prepare for the October 7th cruise."

Again....for every person that wants RC to "hurry up and cancel" there is another that wants them to "hang on as long as possible" to make changes. For those sailing within the next few weeks....I understand your anxiety....but it is part of cruising during hurricane season. While there is a chance anytime of year for reroutes....you took a larger risk booking during hurricane season. For those that say the ship can't sail out of PR even if the pier is ok due to supplies, etc....the ship can refuel and pick up supplies in other ports. I am sure The inventory manager onboard is very good and can work with corporate and vendors, etc to get supplies on other islands. For the Oct 7 sailing they are allowing folks to board on Oct 6. This should help those that might have gotten their hotel reservation cancelled. I think some folks are rushing into judgement and wanting RC to rush to judgement. I was telling Mr Ski about this thread....his reaction was " sounds like a bunch of people with half cocked information trying to give a barrel full of advice". For the hotels that are open, their staff probably wants guests for the paycheck/tips, etc. If the checkin staff/porters, etc can get to the pier...I am sure they need the paycheck/tips. If the island is capable of accepting the ship/pax, these people need the $. I know it is your vacation with dedicated/limited days...but these people have had their world blown apart and need whatever support the tourists and RC can give them. Just a few short weeks ago everyone was saying St M and St T wouldn't be able to handle a ship for 6 months. Today I am reading news from various sources that indicate both St M and St T will be eagerly accepting ships/pax early/mid November. So some folks rushed to judgement there! am sure they are in need of the tourist $. For those wanting RC to rush and make changes think about the fact you might be taking needed $ away from these folks that need the tourist $ asap. I can be a little inconvenienced in waiting until the last moment to make changes if needed....if that gives more of an opportunity to help these folks get back to normal and get tourist $ coming in.

Edited by skiiergirl

Again....for every person that wants RC to "hurry up and cancel" there is another that wants them to "hang on as long as possible" to make changes. For those sailing within the next few weeks....I understand your anxiety....but it is part of cruising during hurricane season. While there is a chance anytime of year for reroutes....you took a larger risk booking during hurricane season. For those that say the ship can't sail out of PR even if the pier is ok due to supplies, etc....the ship can refuel and pick up supplies in other ports. I am sure The inventory manager onboard is very good and can work with corporate and vendors, etc to get supplies on other islands. For the Oct 7 sailing they are allowing folks to board on Oct 6. This should help those that might have gotten their hotel reservation cancelled. I think some folks are rushing into judgement and wanting RC to rush to judgement. I was telling Mr Ski about this thread....his reaction was " sounds like a bunch of people with half cocked information trying to give a barrel full of advice". For the hotels that are open, their staff probably wants guests for the paycheck/tips, etc. If the checkin staff/porters, etc can get to the pier...I am sure they need the paycheck/tips. If the island is capable of accepting the ship/pax, these people need the $. I know it is your vacation with dedicated/limited days...but these people have had their world blown apart and need whatever support the tourists and RC can give them. Just a few short weeks ago everyone was saying St M and St T wouldn't be able to handle a ship for 6 months. Today I am reading news from various sources that indicate both St M and St T will be eagerly accepting ships/pax early/mid November. So some folks rushed to judgement there! am sure they are in need of the tourist $. For those wanting RC to rush and make changes think about the fact you might be taking needed $ away from these folks that need the tourist $ asap. I can be a little inconvenienced in waiting until the last moment to make changes if needed....if that gives more of an opportunity to help these folks get back to normal and get tourist $ coming in.

I respect your opinion and thoughts. However, it's a life safety issue in San Juan right now. Last I heard there was still a curfew in San Juan because there is no power yet and it's dangerous to walk around at night.

I am so angry at RCI for dragging their feet on decisions for the Cruises in the next few weeks. They wait until days before when it is impossible to rebook. They know the situation. There is no power, cell towers, water, hotels closed and airlines cancelling flights. I have been an ardent supporter of RCI but not any more. This is ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amen to everyone of your points.

I saw the topic of this thread and was very interested in what was being said. I love the way you presented everything! These people need the money badly so they can start to put their lives back together. Whenever these islands get back up and functioning, I hope the tourists will spend and tip generously. We who cruise, are very fortunate to have the means to do so. Yes, we don't want to be frivolous with our money, but if you are cruising to the islands that have been hurt, please consider giving just a dollar or two more when tipping.

We have a friend who lives in PR in the mountains. Our alumni has collected money for her and right now we have no way to get it to her because there is no mail service to her yet. So they are relying on tourism when it gets back . Let's pray devastation like this doesn't happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

San Juan was wrecked. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I disagree with you on this matter.

Pan American Pier?

I would assume so...saw a post on FB from Royal's Chief Meteorologist about an hour ago with this photo and the caption "#AdventureoftheSeas about to arrive in #SanJuanwith humanitarian aid, relief supplies for #PuertoRicoRoyal Caribbean International."

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22007376_1500851243341975_4833815438781230533_n.jpg?oh=6f164280f73cc36b4949f7ab937f32db&oe=5A50B5AC

22007376_1500851243341975_4833815438781230533_n.jpg?oh=6f164280f73cc36b4949f7ab937f32db&oe=5A50B5AC

I respect your opinion and thoughts. However, it's a life safety issue in San Juan right now. Last I heard there was still a curfew in San Juan because there is no power yet and it's dangerous to walk around at night.

The hospitals there can not even get fuel for their generators. People think they will be able to cruise in 10-14 days?

The hospitals there can not even get fuel for their generators. People think they will be able to cruise in 10-14 days?

I had "heard" that the fuel situation had been rectified, hopefully, it's true. My main concern is the airport, no air traffic control tower? Eeesh, doesn't sound safe but I'm not a pilot. Perhaps they'll have one airlifted, like what was done for St. Thomas. Will be interesting to see how/if the flight schedule increases in the coming days.

I had "heard" that the fuel situation had been rectified, hopefully, it's true. My main concern is the airport, no air traffic control tower? Eeesh, doesn't sound safe but I'm not a pilot. Perhaps they'll have one airlifted, like what was done for St. Thomas. Will be interesting to see how/if the flight schedule increases in the coming days.

Lots of challenges with the airport...one example, about half way through the article below, that one of the airport radar sites was completely destroyed, and that it's on a mountain in the jungle that's completely inaccessible...downed trees and vegetation mean replacement equipment is being carried by hand, as a lead group cuts a path through the jungle with chain saws.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/maria-cripples-puerto-ricos-main-airport-leaving-thousands-stranded-1506378803

This is a great sentiment, but the reality is that I'm on my 4th set of hotel reservations for the 10/28 sailing. I was notified this morning that my airline has suspended all flights in and out of San Juan indefinitely. There's still no power and no cell service. While supplies are coming in, there's no way to distribute them due to the failed infrastructure. Dumping 2000+ more people into the mix won't help.

I'm hopeful that things will change in the next few weeks, but if the hotels can't open and the flights can't come in/out that leaves passengers stuck. I think people are frustrated with RCCL because they won't make a decision in time for alternate plans to be put in place. They need to make a decision at least a week before each sailing so we can adjust our plans.