Transatlantic cruise. Jade or Breakaway. I can't decide. Help

reefgirl

I'd like to do a translatlantic cruise with my spouse next year. We've only sailed on the Pearl and have really enjoyed our cruises. But I don't think I'm strictly a small-ship girl. So I've made two reservations. One on the Jade in a 9th deck aft suite. The other on the Breakaway, room 11908. It's an H7 suite that I booked on impulse because it looks huge. I like both itineraries (New York- London). I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Husband and I did a transatlantic from Miami to Copenhagen on the Star in 2014 and then the Epic for a Mediterranean straight after. We found that will all the sea days on the transatlantic, we did become a little tired of the Star. There was nothing wrong with it, but in hindsight, the Epic had so much more to do. Next time we would book a larger ship that had alot of sea days, and a smaller ship for a port intensive cruise. Either way though, the Pearl is a great ship (have sailed twice on her), and look forward to trying the Breakaway one day.

We've done lots of transatlantics - most of which have been hot weather crossings. Our last one on Jade in October 16, the weather wasn't great - For sure we missed the aspects of having a big ship.

You realise how limited small ships are - Also, for us SPA cabins or passes are essential on a transatlantic. There again, was a huge difference in the Unisex facilities in the thermal suites of the Jade, compared to Epic. (or other big ships on other cruiselines.)

We absolutely loved Jade - great wee ship and we still enjoyed the cruise. But if making a choice, if I were you I would choose Breakaway. New York to London will be a chilly one - Take the Breakaway :)

• 7 months later...
We've done lots of transatlantics - most of which have been hot weather crossings. Our last one on Jade in October 16, the weather wasn't great - For sure we missed the aspects of having a big ship.

You realise how limited small ships are - Also, for us SPA cabins or passes are essential on a transatlantic. There again, was a huge difference in the Unisex facilities in the thermal suites of the Jade, compared to Epic. (or other big ships on other cruiselines.)

We absolutely loved Jade - great wee ship and we still enjoyed the cruise. But if making a choice, if I were you I would choose Breakaway. New York to London will be a chilly one - Take the Breakaway :)

I'm looking into our first TA on the Breakaway Oct 2018. I'm really nervous as I don't know what to do with 5 days at sea. Is that why you say the SPA cabins are essential? Is it a chilly crossing or nice enough to be outside in October? I'm looking at an M6 for a bit of extra space. Is that a good choice as opposed to a regular balcony?

I'm looking into our first TA on the Breakaway Oct 2018. I'm really nervous as I don't know what to do with 5 days at sea. Is that why you say the SPA cabins are essential? Is it a chilly crossing or nice enough to be outside in October? I'm looking at an M6 for a bit of extra space. Is that a good choice as opposed to a regular balcony?

The Breakaway TA for 2018 leaves fairly early in October so the weather might be absolutely fine - but its the slightly colder route Azores to NY? Difficult to tell as this cruise is leaving a lot earlier than any of the TA cruises we have done. Usually we go via Funchal or the Canaries and head more south - so its a warmer route (although its a sore subject for us as our forthcoming Epic TA cruise this November is now going via the Azores brrrrrrr - glad of our spa for sure!)

You dont need to take a spa cabin - but a thermal pass yes, its a big bonus on a TA cruise.

We were on the 16 night Getaway in April this year and would have been lost without our thermal suites passes. The passes go on sale 100 days in for regular balcony cabins - but you need to be quick - set your alarm :)

I will say however that the big ships lay plenty on during long TA cruises. Can honestly say we were never bored in 16 days :)

Have a fab cruise!!

I would do the Jade over Breakaway. I prefer the shows on smaller ships. Yes, I know I am probably the only one who thinks shows on Breakaway were bad.

I have been on Breakaway a few times and Gem and Pearl a few times. Like I said, much prefer the smaller ship, better entertainment, better layout of the ship.

We have been on 4 TAs - all Westbounds - twice on Epic, once on Escape and once on Jade, and we prefer larger ships for the long TAs with many sea days.

If it’s a port intensive cruise we prefer smaller ships, but for many sea days bigger ships are preferable with many dining options and more activities.

We’re on the Getaway TA in two days’ time!

We have been on 4 TAs - all Westbounds - twice on Epic, once on Escape and once on Jade, and we prefer larger ships for the long TAs with many sea days.

If it’s a port intensive cruise we prefer smaller ships, but for many sea days bigger ships are preferable with many dining options and more activities.

We’re on the Getaway TA in two days’ time!

I agree.

We were on the Jade in winter 16, and the Getaway April 17 - Can never go back now to smaller ships. In fact, we wish so much Getaway was going later in the season, we would have been back on her in a Heartbeat. Will be fine with Epic but Getaway was our favourite ship ever. Despite the April TA being a total disaster cruise, we for sure fell in love with the ship.

Have a great cruise - *sobs - jealous* :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are so many variables. I think it also depends on what kind of activities you are looking for. If you are looking for ones that the ship offers, like crafts, trivia, etc., it would depend on the quality of the cruise director's activities staff. I was just on a ship (RCL) where the two male activity staff members just stood there watching the ladies run everything. Some ship staff do a better job at offering activities on sea days.

Personally, I prefer the mid-size ships like the Jade and its sisters.

For a TA, especially since you are looking at Haven, BA is the way to go for sure. The haven courtyard is so much bigger, plus you have the restaurant. If you are willing to not be aft, an H9 might be a good idea too. It's a smaller room than the H7, but you get both the Spa and Haven (or at least look into getting a spa pass). When I did the TA on the Escape, it was so nice to have either the Spa or the haven to lounge in and be protected from the weather.

We were in an M6 on the Escape (very similar to Breakaway) and absolutely loved it. We have had over 30 cruises with balconies, and it is the nicest one we have taken. You have plenty of coverage if you want it, but tons of open space as well.