which port to skip to spend on ship

Mard940

Have stayed on the ship in port and have never got moro, always found something to do and the CD is cheerful even at sea.

Grand Cayman - no one has to buy T-shirt's or drinks while there.

Princes Cays - Never had a problem with children there and there is no need to insult anybody, no one has to eat lunch there and have never had a chair stolen

Cozumel - Never went to the bars and saw no more drunks than on the ship.

Never been to Falmouth so can not comment on the port.

Some people should just not leave their houses as that seems to be the nay place they can put up with. Wonder what he has to say bad about bus rides?

Well said. I have been to Jamaica 3x and simply stayed on the ship having a great time. First time though so many stayed on the ship that it was like a sea day! We have been to both ports. Looks like from the comments Jamaica ports of call are not all that popular.

Falmouth unless you feel like doing an all inclusive resort day. We enjoyed our resort day and had Fun but it was expensive. One of the big problems with Falmouth in my opinion is that it is in the middle of nowhere, requiring a one hour or more bus ride to get to attractions such as Dunn’s River Falls.

It is my understanding Falmouth was built up for cruise ships by Royal Caribbean. There are only so many places those huge mega ships can get into. I don’t remember Princess utilizing Falmouth in prior years??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never stopped in Falmouth, seems like an Amber Cove (DR) situation where the cruiseline completed a purpose built port stop. My experiences in Jamaica are solely based on Ocho Rios and while the island looks so beautiful when you dock, I must concur that time spent there was not really pleasant. Mind you, not a big fan of Cozumel either, but might be ok for beaches. I love Grand Cayman, and we were so happy to be back there on our last cruise.

Falmouth for sure. Every time we have stopped and got off we wish we never did. Also when we get back dinner conversation at the tables was why did we stop and wish Princess would not stop there any more.

I personally wouldn't skip any ports. Never.

But if it is absolutely a must... Falmouth?

Don't get me wrong we did many fun things there, but unless you go on organized tour or take a taxi or shuttle to Montego Bay there is not much to do there. You can get off the ship and just wander for an hour in cruise ship area though.

Falmouth--Yikes!! Got off the ship and decided to take a cab to downtown Montego Bay for a few hours. What a mistake. Probably the most dirty, disgusting town I have ever seen. Walked two blocks and got a cab back to the ship.

Never again.

Amber Cove is a thousand times better than Falmouth. Beautiful pool, stores, bars, nice scenery. Fun to have a drink and watch the zip-liners. Just a small area if staying near the ship, but a relaxing way to spend the day. Everything is brand new also.

Pam

voljeep, when I have the opportunity I hope to. My husband & I did our first Eastern Caribbean cruise in 2004 then wanted to see new places so hadn't returned until this past July when we joined friends on the Western out of Galveston to celebrate their 50th Anniversary. We were planning on going this April on the Oasis with family when my husband had a heart attack on our TA this past Sept so had to cancel the two Caribbean cruises. I am sure the daughter & I will do one together.

thanks for all your input- to me it seems that for us to enjoy the beaches at Falmouth the most feasible option would be on spending $200 + and go to an AI resort. which is somewhat a waste of $$ since i can get a lot on the ship for the same $200 ( cabana + drinks) or we grab a taxi and go to a local beach

thanks for all your input- to me it seems that for us to enjoy the beaches at Falmouth the most feasible option would be on spending $200 + and go to an AI resort. which is somewhat a waste of $$ since i can get a lot on the ship for the same $200 ( cabana + drinks) or we grab a taxi and go to a local beach

The sight of armed guards at the entrance to some shopping areas in Jamaica is more than enough to prevent me from grabbing a cab and going to a local beach. Do an organized tour or stay on the ship IMO. You already said you want a Port day on the ship. This would be a perfect opportunity.

Falmouth--Yikes!! Got off the ship and decided to take a cab to downtown Montego Bay for a few hours. What a mistake. Probably the most dirty, disgusting town I have ever seen. Walked two blocks and got a cab back to the ship.

Never again.

Amber Cove is a thousand times better than Falmouth. Beautiful pool, stores, bars, nice scenery. Fun to have a drink and watch the zip-liners. Just a small area if staying near the ship, but a relaxing way to spend the day. Everything is brand new also.

Pam

We liked MoBay beach. We hired a taxi for $50 both ways (driver waited for us), paid $3 pp to enter a beach. It was clean and with some good snorkeling.

In previous two times we did Dunn's falls and Martha Brae (relaxing rafting) with cruise companies.

Stay on the ship the entire time.

Grand Cayman: T-Shirts and expensive drinks and food

Cozumel: Too many drunks

Falmouth(all Jamaican Ports): Too much "illegal" weed and too many professional Ladies

Princess Cay: too many ratface children. Someone will steal YOUR chair. Lunch sucks.

BTW- The ship: Guaranteed to get Noro, boring activities, a CD that is way too cheerful.

Take the Bus instead. :evilsmile:

Love your location. It fits.

I would get off the ship at grand Cayman if only to visit Sting Ray City -- one of my favorite excursions in the Caribbean.

Falmouth is pretty far from Dunns River Falls, which is also one of my top Caribbean places. From Ocho Rios, it is very close. From Ocho Rios, I do NOT take a tour, I grab a cab. I pay one of the local guides at the Falls (mandatory), but I only go halfway up the climb. I then find the perfect waterfall and just sit for half an hour or more (which is why I do this independently) in the shower of water cascading down onto me -- this is bliss! But from Falmouth, it might be too far, and that (or Cozumel) would be the Ship Day for me.